Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tectonic Elements 2 way thoughts, please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tectonic Elements 2 way thoughts, please.

I have a lot of speaker building irons in the fire right now, but am waiting for parts and decided to start yet another project, this time using drivers on hand. I had been using a Tectonic Elements 3.5 inch ( PE # 297-2156) in an extended range single driver application and liked how it sounded, especially in the bass region. I did feel however that it was lacking somewhat in the highs, despite the published frequency response. I also felt that it would be informative for me to try it in a 6L box, matching it to a tweeter without first getting advice. I was curious to see what I could come up with sans expert input. My tweeter choice was the Tectonic Elements TEBM36S12-8/A extended range driver. I have 6 of them which I got as buyouts a year ago and thought I could try it, experimenting with crossing it both high and low.
    I know that "textbook" crossover values are almost never optimum, but for the learning experience I decided to use them and see what I got. (Anyone who is curious as to what parts I actually used can just use the ERSE crossover calculator entering the 8 Ohm impedance of each driver and my crossover frequency.)
    My first experiment was to try a first order crossover at 700HZ. My brilliant thinking suggested that this might avoid most of the big dip of the TE C65 driver at 1700HZ. Well that sounded terrible, worse than just the two drivers together with NO crossover, so back to the drawing board.
    My second experiment was a second order crossover at 700HZ. That sounded horrible too and also used inductors too pricey for an econo build.
    My next try was a first order "textbook" crossover at 4000HZ. It was bad but not nearly as bad as the previous ones; plus it had fewer and cheaper components. I realized that this "textbook" crossover has no BSC and part of why this iteration sounded bad was lack of bass, so I went to the BSC calculator and plugged in a 1.8mH coil for the woofer, keeping the 5.1uf cap for the tweet. A big improvement, but too much boomy bass. I then tried a 1.0mH 20 gauge coil but that bass shy, so I replaced it with an 18 gauge 1.2mH coil and the speaker is now listenable although not nearly as nice as the Domo design I'm comparing it to.
    So, that is how I have spent a chilly ( for Florida) windy day so far. I think my next step will be to play with stuffing for a while to see what I can learn there.
    This is being done as a learning experience,but if I can come up with a semi-acceptable, very affordable speaker design using these drivers that I can use up my buyout TE "tweeters" on, that would be neat. Any ideas for "easy to do "changes would be informative and appreciated.

Best,
    Jay

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...fa-hibm65c20-8

Comment

Working...
    X