DAC with a Subwoofer Output?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAC with a Subwoofer Output?

I was just curious if there were any relatively inexpensive DACs that supported a subwoofer/LFE type output besides home theater receivers.

SMSL has some on amazon. Not sure about quality, but remote, dac and blue tooth for $90-150 depending on,model. Some have sub out but not amplified. Im interested to see what other find. A preamp/dac with 2 channels plus sub -remote and dac would be great.

Dayton has anew 2.1 bluetooth amp but no remote. Literally so close to perfect for boombox/pc speakers.
    My Build Thread's
    Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Mike's references are likely amps with little to no filter adjustment for the sub out, and little to no high pass for the mains. If I understand your question correctly, you're looking for just the DAC line level part, with included bass management. The MiniDSP HD kit fits the bill, but isn't "cheap". You would have fully programmable bass management, and full system EQ correction though.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music

Comment

Actually, I'd be willing to pay $200 if it can reasonably function as a really good 2.1 DAC.

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
          Mike's references are likely amps with little to no filter adjustment for the sub out, and little to no high pass for the mains.
          Yeah, this is unfortunately correct. I don't know of any mini amp with true crossover functionality. Lepai and Nobsound each make a compact amp with an adjustable high pass for the sub output, at least.

This has really frustrated me for years, especially since some of SMSL's amps (Q5 Pro, AD18, AD13) appear to have chips on board that would make this functionality possible.

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
          Dayton has anew 2.1 bluetooth amp but no remote. Literally so close to perfect for boombox/pc speakers.
          The subwoofer output has a fixed 180hz low pass filter, so it's not particularly usable without some other method of low passing your subwoofer to match your mains. Otherwise there's going to be nasty overlap and boominess and/or cancelation between 180hz and wherever your mains roll off.

Comment

Minidsp 2x4 HD or similar
            ..A DAC and much more

Comment

Originally posted by scardeal View Post
              Actually, I'd be willing to pay $200 if it can reasonably function as a really good 2.1 DAC.

Well there you go.. This is the ticket. 100% customizable low and high pass for your sub(s) + lots of potential for parametric EQ, time and frequency domain correction, other fancy pants DSP.
              Wogg Music

Comment

Yeh i wouldn't use those tiny amps for my actual mains. I used one for a boombox with tiny 3" drivers and a sub and the crossover points weren't bad in the nobsound i bought.

How much better is the new mini dsp HD? I have 2 of the regular models one has a single noisey channel and the other one i feel changes how my speakers sound even without any changes im just bypassing full range to my mains and using it to cross my subs. I just didn't like how my mains sound using it.
                My Build Thread's
                Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

The regular 2x4 only supports analog inputs and isn't a "DAC". The HD model will accept S/PDIF input or just plug in as a USB audio device to a PC. Can't comment on the audio quality though...
                  Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post

Well there you go.. This is the ticket. 100% customizable low and high pass for your sub(s) + lots of potential for parametric EQ, time and frequency domain correction, other fancy pants DSP.
                    Kit? is it just a matter of putting it in the case?

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post

Kit? is it just a matter of putting it in the case?
                      Yup, all that means is it has no case. The idea is to build it into your project, or just buy the one in a case already for some extra $.
                      Wogg Music

Comment

The Minidsp 2x4 HD unit comes in two forms--a 'kit' which is a complete circuit board at $195 or in a case (the circuit board comes in a case ready to accept inputs and outputs) at $205. Both units perform the same.

The 2x4 HD unit accepts analog inputs (RCA) and two digital inputs (USB or Toslink/PCM) at up to 192 kHz. Four analog outputs (RCA) are available or a USB (Bidirectional) output is available.

You could set-up two outputs as normal two channel stereo outputs and the other two outputs could feed up to 2 subwoofers. You can review the specs and configurations on the Minidsp site but the various filtering and EQ possibilities are very wide.

Comment

Look up SMAL Q5. I spent a lot of time looking for an optical in amp with sub out I could use on my computer with sub out and I bought one. I like it. I might upgrade to a Yamaha A-U671 in the future, but this will do for now.

Comment

Originally posted by scardeal View Post
                            I was just curious if there were any relatively inexpensive DACs that supported a subwoofer/LFE type output besides home theater receivers.
                            You mention LFE. Are you looking for the LFE content in 5.1 (7.1) video streams or just a sub out for a stereo stream? How do you want to feed the DAC: USB, HDMI, Optical?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                              Yeh i wouldn't use those tiny amps for my actual mains. I used one for a boombox with tiny 3" drivers and a sub and the crossover points weren't bad in the nobsound i bought.

How much better is the new mini dsp HD? I have 2 of the regular models one has a single noisey channel and the other one i feel changes how my speakers sound even without any changes im just bypassing full range to my mains and using it to cross my subs. I just didn't like how my mains sound using it.
                              The new minidsp 2x4 HD has a higher output voltage so the drive signal is "stronger" than the original . I have no issues with it (and I've had the original 2x4 before)
                              Also has a bunch of inputs and supports remote control

Try it ,and return if it doesn't work out

Comment

Working...
                              X