Off-Topic - Gustav Holst vs the Shire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Topic - Gustav Holst vs the Shire

Gustav Holst - The Planets (Jupiter) vs Sound of the Shire. I hear echoes of the former in the latter. Is it just me?
    https://youtu.be/Isic2Z2e2xs?t=1294
    vs
    https://youtu.be/chLZQtCold8?t=43

Certainly there are echoes of The Planets in the film music, but I think this happens quite often with quite a few soundtracks and pop music, especially that so much is now out of copyright.

I've lost count of the number of classical, jazz, and blues pieces which have been turned into pop songs. Think Eric Carmen's 'Never Gonna Fall in Love Again' (aka Rachmaninov's Second Symphony) Zep's 'Lemon Song' (aka Killing Floor by Howlin Wolf) etc etc.

Geoff

Comment

Iíve always thought the ending of the Planets - Jupiter piece reminded me music used in Star Trek movies or later TV series. However much of the symphonic work of Vaughan-Williams could be used in LOTR unchanged and would not be out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
        I've lost count of the number of classical, jazz, and blues pieces which have been turned into pop songs.
        Geoff
        ​My favorite example is Paul Simon's "American Tune," which is actually German. Bach's arrangements in the St. Matthew Passion are known the best, but there are so many other versions of this melody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVJkLcDVUIs
        https://youtu.be/HOyNsNr0oYs
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwB-68sOpTM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-aowxVXfI
        Last edited by neildavis; 03-15-2018, 10:10 AM.
        Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Well, Eric Carmen was trained as a classical pianist. I thought his piece was derived from a Rachmaninov piano concerto, but maybe Eric did that in more than one of his songs? I seem to remember Eric singing the phrase, "all by myself, don't wanna be", which I automatically expect to hear at a point in the piano concerto when I play it.
          Paul

Certainly there are echoes of The Planets in the film music, but I think this happens quite often with quite a few soundtracks and pop music, especially that so much is now out of copyright.

I've lost count of the number of classical, jazz, and blues pieces which have been turned into pop songs. Think Eric Carmen's 'Never Gonna Fall in Love Again' (aka Rachmaninov's Second Symphony) Zep's 'Lemon Song' (aka Killing Floor by Howlin Wolf) etc etc.

Geoff

Comment

I am actually quite irritated of how much music is now in the movies, serving no other purpose but to be a filler for empty narrative.
            http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I did a little research and found Eric Carmen's song, "All By Myself", was based on the second movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto.
              Paul

Comment

I notice the very same think in scripted TV shows, generally dramas, and particularly at the end where I just assumed the writers simply ran out of ideas for something to say that was meaningful and took the easy way out.
                Paul

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                I am actually quite irritated of how much music is now in the movies, serving no other purpose but to be a filler for empty narrative.

Comment

Last night I played Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto. There are two almost identical passages in the second movement which Eric Carmen more or less replicated in his song, All By Myself, each passage lasting about 1-1/2 minutes with the first starting about 1 minute into the movement, and the second starting around 9 minutes into the movement.
                  Paul

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                    Last night I played Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto. There are two almost identical passages in the second movement which Eric Carmen more or less replicated in his song, All By Myself, each passage lasting about 1-1/2 minutes with the first starting about 1 minute into the movement, and the second starting around 9 minutes into the movement.
                    Paul

Sorry about the lack of reply Paul but I've been having log in problems. You're quite right. Never Gonna Fall in Love Again was the slow movement of the 2nd Symphony.

Geoff

Comment

Some soundtracks really add to the film to the point where you can't think of the film without the music; for example, The Third Man; Battle of Britain; Local Hero; O Lucky Man (where Alan Price performs the soundtrack as part of the film) etc. I think with the exception of Battle of Britain, which used a lot of Khachaturian, the music for those films was original.

On the subject of music which is um, 'similar' to well known pieces, I remember watching a DVD of The ARMS Concert (1983, nice show) where Jimmy Page played a great piece called "Led Boots"; I thought it sounded familiar, and it turned out to be Chopin's first piano prelude....but that is out of copyright I suppose!

Geoff

Comment

There are lots and lots of movie goers who have, over the years, heard classical music and enjoyed it without once realizing where the music came from or who composed it. On the Ohio State University's FM station, which broadcasts classical music essentially 24/7, there's one program titled, "Music you know but don't know you know it", or something like that, which is along the same lines as classical music in movie sound tracks.
                        Paul

Some soundtracks really add to the film to the point where you can't think of the film without the music; for example, The Third Man; Battle of Britain; Local Hero; O Lucky Man (where Alan Price performs the soundtrack as part of the film) etc. I think with the exception of Battle of Britain, which used a lot of Khachaturian, the music for those films was original.

On the subject of music which is um, 'similar' to well known pieces, I remember watching a DVD of The ARMS Concert (1983, nice show) where Jimmy Page played a great piece called "Led Boots"; I thought it sounded familiar, and it turned out to be Chopin's first piano prelude....but that is out of copyright I suppose!

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          There are lots and lots of movie goers who have, over the years, heard classical music and enjoyed it without once realizing where the music came from or who composed it. On the Ohio State University's FM station, which broadcasts classical music essentially 24/7, there's one program titled, "Music you know but don't know you know it", or something like that, which is along the same lines as classical music in movie sound tracks.
                          Paul

There could be a whole album made of classical music which has been used in commercials: Mozart's Piano Concerto 21 and Carmina Burana were used to sell beer; Funiculi Funicula for pizza fingers; and Hall of the Mountain King to sell paint!

The Toreadors song from Carmen was used for garage roller doors, Pagliacci for Rice Bubbles and Greig's Morning to advertise our now defunct Ansett Airlines.  Still, if the ads got people listening, that's a good thing.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                          X