Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subwoofer shorting rings really necessary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was thinking about this the other day when I was measuring my 18 Sound 10NDA610. I found it very interesting that with the AIC coil connected in parallel as intended, the low-end distortion byproducts were reduced drastically.

The difference goes away by the time you get to 100Hz, but now I'm wondering if different coil would provide the distortion-reduction characteristics in the bass-region for woofers/subwoofers, in the same way that shorting rings provide for the upper frequencies in other speakers. Obviously this speaker would never be used at such low frequencies, so it's not like I'm gonna experiment with it. It was just a "Hmm....would you look at that...." kinda moment.

Comment

guitar maestro - interesterting. Would you happen to have the FR plots for the same driver wired with and without the AIC?

Comment

Originally posted by Blenton View Post
        guitar maestro - interesterting. Would you happen to have the FR plots for the same driver wired with and without the AIC?
        Yes, just look up my thread on the testing of the 10" monster midbasses. I posted it all there.

Comment

It doesn't look to have a positive effect within the driver pass band. The opposite, actually.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
            It doesn't look to have a positive effect within the driver pass band. The opposite, actually.
            I agree, not in terms of distortion measurement, but the FR graph and listening tests do show extended high frequency response.

Comment

Working...
            X