Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to make light of this but building speakers really can be addictive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to make light of this but building speakers really can be addictive

I mean you make one, and then you are like. I wonder how those drivers will sound? And what about this configuration again. Years of fun!!! There could be a good t-shirt idea here?
    On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

It's the worst addiction known to man-kind, get away while you can. For some of us, it's too late.
    Last edited by Kevin K.; 03-22-2018, 02:47 PM.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
      I mean you make one, and then you are like. I wonder how those drivers will sound? And what about this configuration again. Years of fun!!! There could be a good t-shirt idea here?
      Ben (Wolf) needs an intervention. Where is the nearest Speakerholics Anonymous?

Comment

The solution is to only build projects that take 50 hours of work, and cost $1500. Just limit yourself to this, and its backs off quite a bit.

Comment

ya think ?!? welcome to the club . it helps to keep your meds near by ....

Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by malboro2 View Post
            The solution is to only build projects that take 50 hours of work, and cost $1500. Just limit yourself to this, and its backs off quite a bit.
            ^^^^
            Good advice!
            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
              Could I offer you some sound advice?

Try to have only a few speaker/amp projects going at a time if you can.... And try to stay away from buying too much stuff for "future" projects. You may use all that stuff eventually, but it may sit for awhile... then again, you may never get to it.

None of this advice applies to crossover bits however, you can never have too much of that stuff.... Tools and clamps either!

TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Although I've built a few speaker "kits" before, I think speaker design in far more addictive. As in - there is so much learning involved that it keeps one glued to forums like these.

What I'm curious about is, what do you guys do with all your DIY speakers? I don't think I can ever sell the speakers I've built as kits (or hopefully will eventually design) at fraction of the time and cost it takes to build them. I also think it is a safe assumption that most people in this hobby would prefer to build their own (kits or self designed) than to buy speakers built by fellow forum members.

So....for those that build/design...... where do all your speakers go? Surely no one here stopped building after their first speaker :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dkalsi View Post

So....for those that build/design...... where do all your speakers go? Surely no one here stopped building after their first speaker :-)
                  i can only speak for myself and i am fairly new to all this but as you can see above mine tend to pile up and get re-used . my current project is a repurposed CC box , woofer outta my current CC , mids outta a small 3 way build and a ribbon tweet some old Pioneer cabs i refurbished . but i am still learning and with every build i learn a few things.

i've had friends ask about buying some of my builds until i tell them just the cost of parts and material not to even mention my time .

Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

My wife collects shoes, I collect my speaker design/builds.
                    Craig

Comment

I try to have a purpose for every build I do, but even at that I'm starting to get too many. Start with something simple like a pair of small two ways. You can always use them as surrounds in an HT setup. Once you get those done, move on to the Mains, then the center channel. A sub would be next. Other projects could be desktop computer 2.1 speakers. Then a set for the bedroom. But try to have a purpose and like Tom says, don't buy for more than the project you are working on currently. PE will always have more when you need them.
                      -Bob
                      -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                      My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                      The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Limit yourself. I only built 3-4 way line arrays with electronic crossover and a pre amp and 3-4 power amps. Just finding everything I need takes months of time, let alone the 50 hour of build.

Comment

Ben (Wolf) needs an intervention. Where is the nearest Speakerholics Anonymous?
                          It won't do any good. Ben hosts that too.

Dan
                          The Hurricanes
                          The Baronettes
                          Conneccentric
                          UX3

Comment

Originally posted by danp View Post

it won't do any good. Ben hosts that too.

Dan
                            lol

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                              My wife collects shoes, I collect my speaker design/builds.
                              ​I read somewhere, that the average woman in this country has 70 pairs of shoes!

Comment

Working...
                              X