Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to make light of this but building speakers really can be addictive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't feel so bad then.... my wife probably has 30.
    Craig

Comment

I never, ever buy anything for speaker building just because it's on sale and I might use it some day, and I almost always never build more than one pair of speakers a year, yet I have 5 pairs of speakers gathering dust, so to speak, with 3 other pairs used every day and another pair used when I'm in the workshop.
      Paul

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

Could I offer you some sound advice?

Try to have only a few speaker/amp projects going at a time if you can.... And try to stay away from buying too much stuff for "future" projects. You may use all that stuff eventually, but it may sit for awhile... then again, you may never get to it.

None of this advice applies to crossover bits however, you can never have too much of that stuff.... Tools and clamps either!

TomZ

Comment

Comment

Alan, Yeah- Dan is right! I host the annual get together for those with just this issue. I also buy most of my drivers on sale, second-hand for NLA gems, or at a discount. Free is always good too!

I also agree that you can't have too many xover parts- on hand!

My wife has maybe 15 pairs of shoes I'm guessing, BUT- she has a lot more in flip-flops alone.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Alan, Yeah- Dan is right! I host the annual get together for those with just this issue. I also buy most of my drivers on sale, second-hand for NLA gems, or at a discount. Free is always good too!

I also agree that you can't have too many xover parts- on hand!

My wife has maybe 15 pairs of shoes I'm guessing, BUT- she has a lot more in flip-flops alone.

Later,
            Wolf
            I have a cardboard box full of crossover parts and such. I have no idea what it is worth, how much it cost me, but probably upwards of $1000.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
              I don't feel so bad then.... my wife probably has 30.

I've stopped counting shoes a few years back. I'm pretty sure she has no idea how many drivers I have on the shelf - not even sure I know right now.

But, yes - never enough crossover parts!!
              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                It's the worst addiction known to man-kind, get away while you can. For some of us, it's too late.
                The worst addiction known to men, is women!

Comment

The worst addiction known to men, is women!

money , for the love of it is the root of all evil !
                  Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post

money , for the love of it is the root of all evil !
                    Good one.

​You know why men drink? Women.

Comment

I've seen in more than a few forums, "Welcome to <blank>. And sorry for your pocketbook."
                      I think it was sawmill creek?

Comment

Working...
                      X