Working with Corian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with Corian

I have been contemplating getting some corain for some baffles. How hard is it to work with? Also, I have not yet looked for it but what thickness is OK and are you able to find scraps that shops sell cheap?

I have seen small pieces of 1/4" thick Corian for sale on ebay. You might be able to get sink cutouts in a thicker material at a decent price from a local counter top installer. Lithophanes are made from Corian and the images are formed by a CNC router. I think that water is sprayed on the cutter as a lubricant when the lithophanes are imaged but I have no hands on experience. Seems like it might be hard to work with..I purchased software for my employer's cnc router from a company named Vectric in England and they had lithophanes on their web page and I was curious.

Comment

Corian machines just like MDF. Just take your time with routers and don't try to cut too much in one pass.

This baffle was cut on a CNC. No lubes, just spinning router bits. This was made by laminating three .5" thick pieces to make a 1.5" deep waveguide.

Normal thickness is .5" but you can also get thinner. I'd not go less than .5" for baffle use, and back it with Baltic ply or good MDF so you have some meat for mounting screws. Click image for larger version

Name:	VonOtto.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1369857
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
        I have seen small pieces of 1/4" thick Corian for sale on ebay. You might be able to get sink cutouts in a thicker material at a decent price from a local counter top installer. Lithophanes are made from Corian and the images are formed by a CNC router. I think that water is sprayed on the cutter as a lubricant when the lithophanes are imaged but I have no hands on experience. Seems like it might be hard to work with..I purchased software for my employer's cnc router from a company named Vectric in England and they had lithophanes on their web page and I was curious.
        There is a special angle on the teeth of solid surface saw blades. With out it you will get lots of chipping. It also helps to use VERY fine sandpapers lubricated with a little bit of water to get good finishes. Color match glues are available but imagine it can be glued with polyester resin tinted to match. Solid surface is typically polyester with varying amounts of acrylic and alumina tryhydrate. The harder they are the less polyester they have. Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome. Pete, what glue works with Corian if I laminate wood on the back?

Comment

I did a quick check on Craigslist and found someone selling remnants at $5 a square foot. He said he has lots and lots of them. I will go pick some up. Depending on what he has I may stock up a bit.

Comment

As stated you will need backer board or metal inserts in speaker cutouts.. Corian has little holding ability in threaded holes. Albeit semi exotic its fairly soft for a solid surface panel.. There are much better but at 4 times the cost..

Comment

Comment

Corian machines just like MDF. Just take your time with routers and don't try to cut too much in one pass.

This baffle was cut on a CNC. No lubes, just spinning router bits. This was made by laminating three .5" thick pieces to make a 1.5" deep waveguide.

Normal thickness is .5" but you can also get thinner. I'd not go less than .5" for baffle use, and back it with Baltic ply or good MDF so you have some meat for mounting screws. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1369857[/ATTACH]
                  ​While everything Pete mentions is correct, there are extreme differences Corian/MDF. Not so much if you have the luxury of CNC capability. For the DIY builder huge
                  difference; on the table saw you can cut 1/2" SS (solid surface, generic name for Corian) accurately but a underpowered tabletop saw is going to struggle. There are
                  ​some blades that cut better but most of those have more teeth and do better on a full size cabinet saw. As Pete said that baffle is three 1/2" pieces laminated to
                  ​yield 1.5 inch thickness, most times when laminating SS you have to trim to size on tablesaw or CNC so 1.5" MDF would be easier to cut accurately than the SS for
                  most DIY situations. Most people hate MDF dust and avoid it, well when you machine SS It looks like a snowstorm hit your basement (large flakes and super fine
                  ​airborne dust. In my experience if using portable tablesaws a good sharp 40T tcg blade works best with less stress on the saw (important when fabricating in the
                  ​field or basement). Most SS manufacturers require the correct color and type of adhesive if you want the warranty to be covered. One other issue is the adhesive
                  ​cartridge usually requires a special type of gun that mixes the 2-part resin/hardener in the replaceable tips. Silicone or polyurethane glue works for bonding to wood.
                  Hope I did not discourage you from trying it.

Comment

Epoxy works for adhering solid surface to wood or more solid surface. But if you're joining solid surface to more solid surface, go with the adhesive that matches the colors.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I built a bathroom counter top with a small piece of Corian from this online vendor. They sell all kinds of small pieces and also carry tools and colored adhesives. I had no problems cutting it with a table saw or doing round overs with my router. I glued the back splash on with Loctite all purpose Go2 Glue. The back splash joint wasn't a joint that needed to be hidden so I didn't need to worry about color matching the glue and the back splash is against the wall so I didn't have to worry about how strong the joint was.

Ron
                      SolidSurface.com is the source for contractors and DIY-ers looking for Corian® and other leading brands of solid surface materials for kitchen and bathroom counters.
                      C-Note Iron Driver Build
                      The Lydias
                      The Cherry π's
                      The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                      My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

I found a picture of the Corian counter top.

Ron
                        C-Note Iron Driver Build
                        The Lydias
                        The Cherry π's
                        The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                        My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

I found an outfit that after much heranging sold me a 3' x 10' sheet for $150. Then i realized we have a resale shop in town that raises money for Habitat for Humanity. I got a whole kitchens worth of counter top including an island top, sink and faucet for $75.00. They had a bunch. If no resale store check with a granit place. They're replacing solid surface every day. You can probably get it for hauling it off.
                          David
                          Photos of projects and stuff
                          http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz109/davidc549/
                          My furniture web site.
                          http://www.crewesfurniture.com/
                          My gallery web site (Still trying to get that going)
                          http://area61onmain.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

​While everything Pete mentions is correct, there are extreme differences Corian/MDF. Not so much if you have the luxury of CNC capability. For the DIY builder huge
                            difference; on the table saw you can cut 1/2" SS (solid surface, generic name for Corian) accurately but a underpowered tabletop saw is going to struggle. There are
                            ​some blades that cut better but most of those have more teeth and do better on a full size cabinet saw. As Pete said that baffle is three 1/2" pieces laminated to
                            ​yield 1.5 inch thickness, most times when laminating SS you have to trim to size on tablesaw or CNC so 1.5" MDF would be easier to cut accurately than the SS for
                            most DIY situations. Most people hate MDF dust and avoid it, well when you machine SS It looks like a snowstorm hit your basement (large flakes and super fine
                            ​airborne dust. In my experience if using portable tablesaws a good sharp 40T tcg blade works best with less stress on the saw (important when fabricating in the
                            ​field or basement). Most SS manufacturers require the correct color and type of adhesive if you want the warranty to be covered. One other issue is the adhesive
                            ​cartridge usually requires a special type of gun that mixes the 2-part resin/hardener in the replaceable tips. Silicone or polyurethane glue works for bonding to wood.
                            Hope I did not discourage you from trying it.
                            Not at all. Most of this is not relevant to my task anyway. Good to know in general though so thank you.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I will pick some up and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X