Wishing for the good old days.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishing for the good old days.

Why doesn't some manufacturer (Pioneer?) recreate the old vintage style stereo receivers exactly as they were originally? Brand new SX 1250 anyone ? Were they as good as I remember? Are the new ones better? (without spending uber bucks) Just a thought. Opinions? For the record give me silver faceplates any day, hard to read what the buttons are on black faceplates.

What would the retail cost be in todays dollars for a sx1250?

Comment

Vintage receiver faces were dominated by the radio dial, which is not nearly as popular today. I like the feel of the old flywheel and string tuner knob myself. The pushbuttons and toggle switches all had such a nice feel.

Comment

I think black is here to stay, there are a few uber high-end components in other finishes. I prefer black because all my rack parts are black except Berh. DCX2496,
        ​if it was available in black it would be black.

Comment

I bought my Marantz 2330 via mail order on August 5, 1977, eleven days before Elvis died. Paid $532.14 for it, quite a bit of coin at the time. Not sure what it would cost to make something similar today. Have had to replace the main supply caps and a few bulbs, but it still sounds good to me.

Comment

I picked up my Sansui G8000 in about 1992, off the used rack at a local hi-fi shop for $150. Everything on it worked just fine. Since then, I lost the -20dB switch (audio muting) which I had bypassed by the guy who replaced all the electrolytic caps and some lamps with white LEDs. 120 glorious watts per channel into 8 Ohm and close to double that into 4 Ohm. What a beast. They fetch around $700 if you can find one. Sansui only made one model with more power, and it came in two pieces.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

i had a Pioneer SX-1080 , bought it on the bay ,was like new , i realized after buying it that it was something i wanted when i was younger ( but couldnt afford it ) not something i wanted at the current time so i sold it . the buttons do have a great feel , the lights, meters,flywheel tuning is all awesome stuff . im not sure if all the buttons do anything ,they either didnt work or didnt do anything or i used them wrong because i didnt hear any difference while switching. it could just be my bad hearing . i used mine as a pre-amp . when we win the lottery i may buy some vintage for my music room !?
              donc

Comment

I have a silver face Pioneer tuner over my work bench in the basement (feeding a DIY 8wpc tube amp). Even with a cheapo $0.99 antenna that thing pulled in a dozen + stations loud and clear. My son and I played around with cheap DIY antennas and I can now pull in a cool jazz station from IL state university which is 120 miles south of here.
                Craig

Comment

I listen to an early 70's Kenwood receiver almost every day. It still seems to work pretty much like new after all these years. All that I have done is clean the pots and replace the speaker relay. I'm sure a new receiver built to that level of quality would cost quite a bit today.

Comment

Is it just me, or did they have a much more conservative rating system back in those days? I still have an old Technics receiver that I bought in 1974 with hard earned paper route money. Though it is only rated at 25 WPC it seems to have a lot more ballz than my current (supposedly) 110 WPC Denon or 110 WPC Yamaha receivers while driving the same speakers?

Comment

we were talking about that today , 400 horsepower / 100 watts back in the day had more ballz than they do now .
                      donc

Comment

Originally posted by jtheisen521 View Post
                        Is it just me, or did they have a much more conservative rating system back in those days? I still have an old Technics receiver that I bought in 1974 with hard earned paper route money. Though it is only rated at 25 WPC it seems to have a lot more ballz than my current (supposedly) 110 WPC Denon or 110 WPC Yamaha receivers while driving the same speakers?
                        I always have the same thought. I have a realistic sta 2200 that I believe is listed at 60 wpc but that thing has crazy power and I think actually tests out closer to 90-100 wpc. Also have an Akai aa1030 that is a modest 30 wpc and it sounds better than the newer stuff I have on the few speakers I've tried them both on.

Comment

I think there really needs to be some testing standards established. Several electronics manufacturers have been getting away with fudging their specs for way too long. How many of us actually listen to music at absolute zero, 565.643 meters altitude and under a full moon as they did when establishing their published ratings?

Comment

Originally posted by ugly woofer View Post
                            What would the retail cost be in todays dollars for a sx1250?
                            It would be a lot but have you seen prices in The Absolute Sound magazine? Ludicrous!!

Comment

Originally posted by jtheisen521 View Post
                              I think there really needs to be some testing standards established. Several electronics manufacturers have been getting away with fudging their specs for way too long. How many of us actually listen to music at absolute zero, 565.643 meters altitude and under a full moon as they did when establishing their published ratings?
                              I once listened at nearly that altitude.
                              ​Seriously though, one has to know what is real and what is not. Specs are only for comparison purposes and then there is or isn't truth in advertising.

Comment

Working...
                              X