No announcement yet.

Wishing for the good old days.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll probably be ordering this amp in the next few weeks. 400W / 800W into 8 Ohm / 4 Ohm loads. Build quality is awesome! JFet input stage, BJT output stage, 20 output transistors per channel!!! It will be biased to Class A for the first 15W, A/B after that. No chance of clipping ever again!

Getting a great deal on it. My first "audiophile" piece of gear in at least 20 years.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
      I'll probably be ordering this amp in the next few weeks. 400W / 800W into 8 Ohm / 4 Ohm loads. Build quality is awesome! JFet input stage, BJT output stage, 20 output transistors per channel!!! It will be biased to Class A for the first 15W, A/B after that. No chance of clipping ever again!

Getting a great deal on it. My first "audiophile" piece of gear in at least 20 years.
      Ah, CODA Technologies, right here in Sacramento. I've been to their facility a couple of times, they use massive toroidals. Interestingly, some years back I sold a used Oscilloscope on consignment and it was bought by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian B View Post
        I bought my Marantz 2330 via mail order on August 5, 1977, eleven days before Elvis died. Paid $532.14 for it, quite a bit of coin at the time. Not sure what it would cost to make something similar today. Have had to replace the main supply caps and a few bulbs, but it still sounds good to me.
        Using an inflation calculator: $532 in 1977 → $2,148.95 in 2017
        I'm sure for $2150 you could get a very nice 2-channel unit that would probably sound better than the Marantz does.

Comment

Beast Mode!

I am looking at a particular integrated amplifier with 160w per channel and 45 amp capability and I was thinking that would be pretty powerful. NOT

Comment

I picked up my Sansui G8000 in about 1992, off the used rack at a local hi-fi shop for $150. Everything on it worked just fine. Since then, I lost the -20dB switch (audio muting) which I had bypassed by the guy who replaced all the electrolytic caps and some lamps with white LEDs. 120 glorious watts per channel into 8 Ohm and close to double that into 4 Ohm. What a beast. They fetch around $700 if you can find one. Sansui only made one model with more power, and it came in two pieces.

I had the pleasure of fixing one of those several years ago, when I was doing a bit of repair work on the side for some extra $$$. Damned thing silently took out two of my test speakers - no DC offset protection.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post

Using an inflation calculator: $532 in 1977 → $2,148.95 in 2017
              I'm sure for $2150 you could get a very nice 2-channel unit that would probably sound better than the Marantz does.
              Probably so. But given the rest of my audio components, and especially my old ears, I would probably consider the $2k better spent elsewhere.

Comment

This was my beast back in the day

About half the switches had bad contacts and the volume pot had lost a whole lot of carbon making it difficult to use. No amount of contact cleaner would save it, and the switches / pots were not available to purchase. I also had to mount a tiny fan to an underside power supply board that would overheat, probably due to leaky caps that I should have replaced.

Bummer I got rid of it.
                Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

I had the pleasure of fixing one of those several years ago, when I was doing a bit of repair work on the side for some extra $$$. Damned thing silently took out two of my test speakers - no DC offset protection.
                  I sympathize with you, even though it is a rather funny story. 😁

Comment

An sx-1250 in '77 was $800, or $3300 in todays dollars. Probably less than what a 65lb true 160w/ch amp, preamp tuner would cost today. I had the choice at the time of the sx-1250 or a 5 year old buick for the same price. I wish I bought the pioneer. I eventually did, that and an sx-980. beasts.

Comment

I think, but I'm not stating this as fact,That Pioneer sold more SX-750s than all other manufactures sold receivers combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                        I think, but I'm not stating this as fact,That Pioneer sold more SX-750s than all other manufactures sold receivers combined.

That wouldn't surprise me a bit. There may be more SX-x50 series still in service than any other vintage brand. I just replaced some bad caps in an SX-550 and cleaned the power switch last month. Now I just need to recover the side panels where the walnut vinyl is missing and it will take it's place in my Pioneer collection.
                        Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                          I worked at Custom HiFi in 1977 in college and sold pioneer, sansui and technics. While the sx-750 was popular it was relatively expensive. We sold 10x more 50 watt technics receivers, simply due to price. no competition compared to the quality of the pioneer. back then for less than $1K you could buy an sx-750, a pair of HPM 100s and an PL-530 turntable - fantastic system.

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
                            An sx-1250 in '77 was $800, or $3300 in todays dollars. Probably less than what a 65lb true 160w/ch amp, preamp tuner would cost today. I had the choice at the time of the sx-1250 or a 5 year old buick for the same price. I wish I bought the pioneer. I eventually did, that and an sx-980. beasts.
                            My first purchase of anything out of college in 1977 was an SX-1250. Paid $749 + tax, cash. I had TDY pay and didn't want to piddle it away on small things. With a military hair cut in 1977 I looked 18, though I was 22. When I pulled the roll of cash out of my pocket to pay, the salesman's mouth dropped open. Fond memories. My next purchase was Dahlquist DQ-10, used them for 15 years.

The unfortunate thing is that I gave both to my Navy brother who sold the 1250 for $60 in San Juan when he was transferred back to the states. It was nearly perfect.

I now have an SX-1080 that someone threw away at the city TV drop-off. It's nearly perfect as well, but I've only tested it.

drl
                            WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

I have a Pioneer Model SX-636 Stereo AM/FM receiver. It has flywheel tuning and both signal strength and center tuning analog meters, plus all of the controls that one could possibly want. The face plate is brushed silver and the two sides are real wood. I'm pretty sure the power rating is only 25 wpc. I think I originally purchased this new about 40 or so years ago. I've cleaned the controls once. It resides in my workshop to accompany me when building speakers.
                              Paul
                              Edit: I did a quick search and found this receiver was introduced in 1974 and only sold through 1975. Here's a photo:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	SX-636.gif
Views:	1
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1370206

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                                I have a Pioneer Model SX-636 Stereo AM/FM receiver. It has flywheel tuning and both signal strength and center tuning analog meters, plus all of the controls that one could possibly want. The face plate is brushed silver and the two sides are real wood. I'm pretty sure the power rating is only 25 wpc. I think I originally purchased this new about 40 or so years ago. I've cleaned the controls once. It resides in my workshop to accompany me when building speakers.
                                Paul
                                Edit: I did a quick search and found this receiver was introduced in 1974 and only sold through 1975. Here's a photo:
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1370206[/ATTACH]
                                ​Paul does that receiver have a plug-in instead of regular terminals for the speakers? My friend had a pioneer of that vintage and you had to attach the wires to a
                                ​plug then insert the plug. If you lost the plugs you could not connect the speakers.

Comment

Working...
                                X