Wishing for the good old days.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

​Paul does that receiver have a plug-in instead of regular terminals for the speakers? My friend had a pioneer of that vintage and you had to attach the wires to a
    ​plug then insert the plug. If you lost the plugs you could not connect the speakers.

The previous series has those plugs - I have a near mint SX-727 that does. I also have an old Allied 498 receiver at work that uses those.
    Attached Files
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Okay I'm just going to say it....most people are too cheap to spend $500 on a piece of equipment in todays currency let alone the equivalent of it from 40yrs ago.

Comment

It's funny how this has become a Pioneer thread. I have recently had my sx828 fixed and cleaned up.
        $40 to find that I never want to bring anything to one shop, and
        $130 to have Steve at Technotronic Dimensions in Bennington hunt down all its gremlins.

I just got another 828. Sold as parts but I suspect it was taken to a bad shop, I'll get it to Steve at some point.
        My idea is to have identical controls on the two systems that Linda might use.

As for the plugs, get regular AC plugs that are solid brass , not folded steel. Twist one tab 90 degrees. File off lawyer tabs if present.

Comment

My memory doesn't tell me there was anything unusual about the speaker terminals. My receiver sits on top of a 6-foot-high set of shelves and I'd have to get on a ladder to take a look.
          Paul

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

​Paul does that receiver have a plug-in instead of regular terminals for the speakers? My friend had a pioneer of that vintage and you had to attach the wires to a
          ​plug then insert the plug. If you lost the plugs you could not connect the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post
            It's funny how this has become a Pioneer thread.
            I love most all vintage 70's audio gear - Marantz, Sansui, Kenwood, Yamaha, Technics, Nikko, etc. But I have always been drawn to the silver Pioneer receivers. It's partly the faceted knobs and lever style switches. I've always remember those shiny new receivers from hanging around in the local stereo shops when I was in my teens. I'm sure the sales guys were glad when we finally left - we never had money to actually buy anything.
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
              we were talking about that today , 400 horsepower / 100 watts back in the day had more ballz than they do now .
              donc
              A modern 400 hp car will absolutely destroy something with similar power from back in the day. I get what you're saying, but that's probably not the best comparison.

I have a pile of vintage stuff (including some huge Pioneer receivers) that I haven't looked at in years.

Comment

Originally posted by zomby woof View Post

A modern 400 hp car will absolutely destroy something with similar power from back in the day. I get what you're saying, but that's probably not the best comparison.

I have a pile of vintage stuff (including some huge Pioneer receivers) that I haven't looked at in years.
                Hasn't the HP rating scheme been changed? IIRC the old HP rating was at the crank and the new one is at the wheels. Anyone know the specifics of the change?

dlr
                WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

On that note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmmBY3uPDFE

Comment

HP ratings used to be gross HP, now they are net. A modern car rated at 400 net actually makes more pwer compared to the pre 70's 400 hp car, but that's not what I was talking about. A modern 400 hp car will in most cases make more/better torque and have a much more usable torque curve mostly because of electronic controls. I've been building that stuff since the 70's and while truly I enjoy an old school muscle car, you can't beat a modern one for power and it's ability to put it to the ground.

I looked in my closet and saw an SX450, SX850 and KM105 power amp. I have mre but they're out in the shop.

Comment

The thing is, independent tests have confirmed modern AVR's are capable of putting out plenty of watts. Without addressing the whole "can't measure everything" aspect, the power numbers, at least, are nothing modern receivers have to worry about.

And yes, a modern bone stock entry level Camaro will eat a bone stock hemi cuda for lunch, in every measurable metric.

Audio reminds me of boxing, and to a lesser extent - baseball.
                      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I have a 1976ish vintage Accuphase P300. Replaced all of the electrolytics. It is a beast - and a thing of beauty inside and out. It is the amp I lusted for in the 70s, but could not afford. As I got back into audio maybe 23-24 years ago, I picked one up. Beautiful sounding amp. It never runs out of ooomph.

Kinda like Johnny, I suppose, when thinking about boxing, baseball, and audio. :-)

I wish I had someone close by with some of the modern popular stuff (Emotiva and the like) to have a comparo. I bought a fairly highly regarded Anthem amp maybe 15 years ago for a second system, and it proved not as good. Just sits on the shelf these days.

On the other hand, my ears may not be what they once were and no difference would be discerned.

Comment

I have an old early 80's era vintage HK receiver.
                          It was rated at 20 Watts per channel, but can easily do a good bit better, but it was under-rated.

When I compared it to my old Pioneer of the late 70's, the one with power meters, silver face and about 45-50 watts per channel, the Pioneer would play a tad louder, but never seemed completely the equal sound wise to the HK. It was as if the Pioneer was a couple notches less refined, but not bad on its own at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post

Using an inflation calculator: $532 in 1977 → $2,148.95 in 2017
                            I'm sure for $2150 you could get a very nice 2-channel unit that would probably sound better than the Marantz does.
                            ​Sorry, NO YA COULDN'T! YMMV. Have Fun! Mark

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1877.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	1370417 ​I'm a sucker for vintage gear. I do believe it sounds as good and sometimes better than current stuff. The 2252 on top is on loan to a good friend. The "b" I use as a tuner. It was my daily driver for quite some time but than I rebuilt these Citation's. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2713.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	1370418 ​ I'd bet they'll all still be working when I'm planted or torched. Such FUN! Mark

Comment

I don't "get" nostalgia for silver '70s Japanese audio. The sound "quality" of these items is what drove many of us to US and UK-made separates, and tubes, in the early 1970s.

Comment

Working...
                                X