How to glue up speakers flush and straight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to glue up speakers flush and straight

I have always had problems glueing up speaker boxes straight and with flush joints. I just finished gluing up some Overnight Sensations and i made a mess of it as always. Can anyone give my some advise?

Painter's tape and bar clamps.... lots of them. Then in my case wood filler, bondo, and elbow grease to clean them up to make them look like I nailed it .
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Comment

You need some "squaring jigs". Google them and you'll find they are simply 3/4" plywood (or MDF) that are a TRUE right angle (90*) on one side and the bottom. Once you have two sides of your box square and true, the other sides HAVE to be square to fit together, but use them for all sides while the glue dries. If you want even greater stability in them, you can "double-up" the 3/4" stock in thickness and they should sit by themselves on your bench. You can make them any size you want, but usually most people just go a little under a foot on each leg so they can get two pair from a piece of 2X4 plywood or MDF or even melanin faced particle board. I'll TRY to post a photo of a pair of mine (if I can figure out how..).

Comment

If you are talking about basic square boxes, you can make it easier by gluing the top/bottom panels & sides along with the back to make a 5-sided box....
        I usually inset the back into the cabinet so that it helps me keep things lined up and square. As long as you have enough clamps to cinch all the joints snug, it should give you a square box.
        ....that assumes your table saw and corresponding cuts are square.

Then that just leaves the front baffle, which often gets a round-over on the sides at least... and can be glued right to the 'open' side of the cabinet, often after finishing the cabinet itself (veneer/polyurethane or paint.)

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

The 90 degree clamps will help with getting the boxes square. A router with a flush trim bit will allow panels that have been left a little large (1/16" or so) to be trimmed to perfectly flush. Also, take your time. The more boxes you build the better you will get. My first ones were so bad I had to put blocks under them so they would stand up.

Comment

I just made some S2000s. same flat pack as the OS. The first one I did my usual way with clamps, and had to knock it apart, scrap off the glue and redo. The second one I used blue packing tape as hinges to keep the pieces aligned, worked much better. I did clamp it lightly after it was a bit set up. Much better results.

Comment

Everything said above. I usually hold everything together with 23 gauge pin nails so nothing slides while they are clamped.

Comment

Use really straight glue.

Comment

Whitneyville 1 had a good suggestion as far as having a square reference point to assemble on. It could be as simple as a square piece of scrap that you know is square. Depending on the tools you have available it should not be a problem to assemble the box. If you are relying on just tape to hold the box it may more of a
                  ​challenge. A couple clamps (cheap at harbor fraud) it would be worth the investment. Are you making your own parts or a cnc cut kit. Obviously the kit should go
                  ​together easier because of the joinery but you can do a square box without too much investment (tools, clamps) but they would make it more practical.

Comment

If you can cut Dados and Rabbets, everything will self align nice and straight.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	double-rabbet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	1371012

Comment

I have used two or three dowels per edge and they really help. https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...-841/100659787

Easy to do. The cheapest way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVqI9lGepjs

Comment

Biscuits work wonders too.
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

One of the very most important things are are your Cuts Square
                          On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            Biscuits work wonders too.
                            Wolf
                            ​Yes, they sure do.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	biscuit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1371057

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
                              One of the very most important things are are your Cuts Square
                              ​So, are you saying that one could use a round blade to make a square cut?

Comment

Working...
                              X