Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Mystiques - Build Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Originally posted by donradick View Post
    I came up with the same blue tape trick a few months ago, but I use it with hot glue to hold boards while routing.
    Holds every securely in the horizontal plane, but peels off easily and cleanly.
    ​Hot glue sounds like an interesting twist, will have to give that a shot sometime. Thanks Don.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    I came up with the same blue tape trick a few months ago, but I use it with hot glue to hold boards while routing.
    Holds every securely in the horizontal plane, but peels off easily and cleanly.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

​That would be correct if I had laminated using 3/4" MDF but these were laminated from 1-1/4" MDF, three pieces to build a total thickness of 3.75".

The tape trick is so handy on so many different things, you'll love it. Also works great for sanding small panels that would be hard to hold. The most obvious use would be copying panels using a table router, love using this trick for that.
    Ooooo, that's a BIG curve! I did think it looked thicker than 3/4"

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Looking good.
    So the difference between the outer glue/epoxy line and the inner, smaller circle glue line is about 3/4" thickness? That's a neat trick, gives a perspective to the shape the outside will be too.

I like the tape trick with the superglue. Thanks, I'm using that soon for sure.

102 days to go!

TomZ
    ​That would be correct if I had laminated using 3/4" MDF but these were laminated from 1-1/4" MDF, three pieces to build a total thickness of 3.75".

The tape trick is so handy on so many different things, you'll love it. Also works great for sanding small panels that would be hard to hold. The most obvious use would be copying panels using a table router, love using this trick for that.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Looking good.
    So the difference between the outer glue/epoxy line and the inner, smaller circle glue line is about 3/4" thickness? That's a neat trick, gives a perspective to the shape the outside will be too.

I like the tape trick with the superglue. Thanks, I'm using that soon for sure.

102 days to go!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    If they are like their little brothers (SB15CAC30-08) I think you will really like those SB ceramic woofers.
    Yep, betting you're right. Seems everyone that has worked with this new Ceramic line of drivers love them.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Started on the sidewalls but didn't get very far this weekend, hope to finish them up next weekend.

Using an Industrial Epoxy Laminating Resin. I like this a little more than glue because it soaks into the MDF further.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	1371066

Pins are your friends! Makes clamping so much easier when you don't have to fight the panels sliding around all over the place. Two pins in opposite corners usually suffices.

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	1371067

Clamped up and let it sit overnight. Ready to go the next morning.

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	1371068

Inside of the left sidewall. Decided to take advantage of an operation available in my CNC software, Spiral cut from center out. By stepping over 1/4" at a time, it left a pretty good scallop. Not sure how much benefit the ridges will have on the back waves but figured it couldn't hurt me. It would have been difficult to apply traditional damping to the sidewalls due to the compound curves.

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	1371069

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    If they are like their little brothers (SB15CAC30-08) I think you will really like those SB ceramic woofers.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Most of the panels for this pair of enclosures will require cuts from both sides. In some cases, there will be fixtures made to accommodate this.

Rear Baffles:

Here is a pic after the inside of the rear baffle was cut. Behind the rear baffle, you can see a fixture that will be used to cut the outside of the rear baffle

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	1371059

Learned this trick from a Luthier youtube video. Masking tape on both panels with a squiggly line of super glue. Acts like double back tape but is much easier to peel off when finished. You would also be amazed at how strong this is.

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	1371060

An example of how much super glue used. Be careful not to get to close to the edges or it will squeeze out and get on your MDF, not good.

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	1371062

Rough cut of the outside rear baffle complete.

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	1371061

Finished Rear Baffles.

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	1371063

Leave a comment: