Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin K.
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2014

Moving on to the outside of the sidewalls. Here's a fixture that's required, it has an interchangeable center support section for the different sides and the fixture is indexed to the table's spoilboard with a couple of 1/2" pins. Needed the ability to take it on and off and be able to get it back to the same place every time for repeatability.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	1372164

Here's a close up showing how the dado cuts index to the fixture for alignment on the machine.

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	1372167
    Was only able to secure the sidewalls with toe nailed drywall screws on the ends but they did the job fine.

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	1372165

This pic was right after the completion of the finish cut. Still lacks the two end cuts.

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	1372166
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

• Kevin K.
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2014

Rear Baffle, braces and sidewalls all laid out ready for assembly.

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	1372170

And a few pics of everything sitting together in dry form.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	1372171

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	1372172

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	1372173

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	1372174

Had some issues with tear out on the top. Know better than to cut MDF to a razor edge but tried my luck at it anyway, as you can see, my luck ran out. Expected a little body work to accompany these cabs so no big deal. That's it for this weekend.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
      The Archers
      The Gandalf's

Comment

• dst
        • Oct 2005

Looking very nice so far. that is a challenging build. I am dying to hear what you think of those drivers.

Comment

• xmax
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Jan 2014

Bravo, nice build! I need to try that superglue trick, I have made the mistake of using carpet tape to hold
          parts down on my CNC table, holy crap is that stuff hard to get off!
          Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

• BOBinGA
            Midrange Member
            • Jul 2009

Wow! I'm pretty hard to impress, but this build does it. I wish I could hear the finished product. (I have heard Rick's tweeter and it is something special. You will surely enjoy it.)
            -Bob
            -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
            My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
            The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• xmax
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jan 2014

I have never heard of those interesting ribbon (with a voice coil) tweeters, how would you compare them
              to say a RAAL?
              Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

• dcibel
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jan 2010

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

• Kevin K.
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dst
                  Looking very nice so far. that is a challenging build. I am dying to hear what you think of those drivers.
                  ​Thanks! These are by far some of the nicest drivers I've purchased and I'm looking forward to hearing them as well.

Originally posted by xmax
                  Bravo, nice build! I need to try that superglue trick, I have made the mistake of using carpet tape to hold
                  parts down on my CNC table, holy crap is that stuff hard to get off!
                  You'll love the superglue/masking tape trick. The shear force is incredible yet when you're ready to remove the tape it's as easy as peeling a piece of masking tape from a painted wall. The only caveat is the tape needs to be perfectly flat on both surfaces, no trash under either piece or you won't get intimate contact which is critical to how it works.

Originally posted by BOBinGA
                  Wow! I'm pretty hard to impress, but this build does it. I wish I could hear the finished product. (I have heard Rick's tweeter and it is something special. You will surely enjoy it.)
                  -Bob
                  Thanks Bob. I know Rick pretty well and asked him for a suggestion on the tweeter. He feels these two drivers will work very well together. Looking forward to hearing them for the first time.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  The Archers
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

• PWR RYD
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Dec 2009

Those are going to look awesome!
                    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• Squidspeak
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Kevin K.
                      Started on the sidewalls but didn't get very far this weekend, hope to finish them up next weekend.

Using an Industrial Epoxy Laminating Resin. I like this a little more than glue because it soaks into the MDF further.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1371066[/ATTACH]

Pins are your friends! Makes clamping so much easier when you don't have to fight the panels sliding around all over the place. Two pins in opposite corners usually suffices.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1371067[/ATTACH]

Clamped up and let it sit overnight. Ready to go the next morning.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1371068[/ATTACH]

Inside of the left sidewall. Decided to take advantage of an operation available in my CNC software, Spiral cut from center out. By stepping over 1/4" at a time, it left a pretty good scallop. Not sure how much benefit the ridges will have on the back waves but figured it couldn't hurt me. It would have been difficult to apply traditional damping to the sidewalls due to the compound curves.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1371069[/ATTACH]
                      ​Kevin, what is brand/type of epoxy laminating resin. I mostly use West Systems for that type of bond. Also I would coat the outside of cab to prevent the edge lift,
                      ​a lot more work but eliminates the issue. I laminated MDF to BB then kerfed it and bent it in a jig so I coated the outside wall with epoxy to prevent splitting and
                      lifting of the grain.

Comment

• tomzarbo
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jan 2006

They're beautiful, even just in raw MDF. And the precision with which everything fits together is pretty cool too.
                        ... and that must be one heck of a spinner and bit... that thing really MOVES! Cool videos.
                        TomZ
                        Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Kevin K.
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Squidspeak

​Kevin, what is brand/type of epoxy laminating resin. I mostly use West Systems for that type of bond. Also I would coat the outside of cab to prevent the edge lift,
                          ​a lot more work but eliminates the issue. I laminated MDF to BB then kerfed it and bent it in a jig so I coated the outside wall with epoxy to prevent splitting and
                          lifting of the grain.
                          This is what I'm currently using but will switching over to the 605 version in the future, they are both very similar. The 605 is more economical and also available in more sizes (quart, 1.5 gallon, 5-gallon units).

I've had pretty good luck with the Evercoat Featherfill G2 polyester primer when surfacing MDF. After a couple of coats, you have a very good base to work with and it's hard as a rock.
                          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                          The Archers
                          The Gandalf's

Comment

• Kevin K.
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by tomzarbo
                            They're beautiful, even just in raw MDF. And the precision with which everything fits together is pretty cool too.
                            ... and that must be one heck of a spinner and bit... that thing really MOVES! Cool videos.
                            TomZ
                            Thanks Tom. I'm not really taking advantage of all the machine is capable of doing and these videos are probably kinda boring. Our CNC software just went through a major update and I'm still trying to get familiar with some of the new operation options, they did away with some of my favs for some reason so I suspect some of the newer ones are supposed to be more efficient. Need some time to learn the new stuff but in the mean time am just doing what I need to get by.
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            The Archers
                            The Gandalf's

Comment

• Kevin K.
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Sep 2014

Round 3: Not a lot of new pics to update from the third weekend guys. Spent the majority of the weekend catching the second cabinet up to the first cabinet. Cut the second pair of sidewalls, two tops, and another set of braces. Was hoping to get the bottoms done but fell short of getting those started. Will attempt to get the bottoms finished this week and get started on the baffles next weekend.

Name:	Round 3-1.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	1372880

Name:	Round 3-2.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	1372881

Went with dual binding post for this pair which leaves the option to bi-amp if I choose and makes working on the crossovers from outside the enclosure easier. Thanks for following along.
                              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                              The Archers
                              The Gandalf's

Comment

• randyohoh
                                Midrange Member
                                • Jan 2013

Great job at overcoming the design obstacles and arriving at a very cool shape.These are very unique and will sound excellent.

Comment

Working...