Alternative Baffle Material

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Baffle Material

I've been looking at different materials I could use for my baffles on the MoZi design. There will be a waveguide milled out of the baffle for a rear mounted AST2560. I came across "Faux Marble". Does anyone know what that is made out of? Could I use a corian counter top? There are some for sale that look to be an inch thick and with some cool designs.

Folks were talking about Corian just the other day.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman129 View Post
      I've been looking at different materials I could use for my baffles on the MoZi design. There will be a waveguide milled out of the baffle for a rear mounted AST2560. I came across "Faux Marble". Does anyone know what that is made out of? Could I use a corian counter top? There are some for sale that look to be an inch thick and with some cool designs.
      ​Cultured Marble would be great, but definitely more difficult to work with. I suppose that you'd need a lot of carbide tooling or even diamond blades to cut it. Then after cutting, you'd need to polish it again. Cultured Marble is a mixture of fiberglass resin and crushed limestone.

Comment

Some of the Corian countertops with have a marble look to them, or specs to make them look like stone. I checked with the CNC shop and they can cut corian, but will those specs cause an issue in cutting? is Faux marble different than Corian that looks like marble?

Comment

Avonite is another solid surface material. LOTS of different looks.

Corian and Avonite cut with the same tools used for machining wood. It's not as hard as aluminum.

This is a Corian baffle cut on a CNC. Sanded and buffed, no paint.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Pete Schumacher How thick is that baffle? It looks like that it more than 1". Did you adhere multiple pieces together?

Comment

Waveguides bring out the grain in solid wood nicely. I use Corian in the throat to provide a more robust edge where the guide mates with the tweeter surround to avoid distorting the edge when sanding. It mills nicely, but the uniformity of its appearance doesn't appeal to me. It would be interesting to know what solid stone would cost.

I suspect the fabrication cost will be high for a Corian baffle with a guide, most fabricators only work with fairly simple shapes.
              https://flic.kr/p/DZkE6m

Comment

Cultured marble is a PITA to work with. I've never seen it polished back up after cutting. Corian or similar would be much better.
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman129 View Post
                  Pete Schumacher How thick is that baffle? It looks like that it more than 1". Did you adhere multiple pieces together?
                  That baffle is 1.5" thick at the guide, 1" thick elsewhere. It was made by laminating three .5" thick pieces.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

That baffle is 1.5" thick at the guide, 1" thick elsewhere. It was made by laminating three .5" thick pieces.
                    Once you sanded and buffed, could you see the lines where it was laminated together?

TN Allen I agree that waveguides in natural wood look amazing. Thats what I was starting to look at Corian with a marble look to it. I need 4sf total for all 3 baffles. I might try and exotic wood.

Comment

If you use the correct adhesive, you should not see the joints at all, that is a remarkable characteristic of these solid sufaces.

If you glue up the baffles to produce vertical grain, to minimize shrinkage and expansion with changes of humidity, you can reduse the amount of lumber you need. Perhaps you've already thought of the shrinkage and expansion, and the need to build cabinets to accomodate this. It requires extra work, which is a nuisance, but can be worth the trouble.

Comment

As TN Allen said, with the correct adhesive the joints are invisible. May as well make the entire cabinet out of solid surface. .5" walls of solid surface will be a lot stronger than similar with ply or MDF, especially when you factor in the bracing.

http://www.avonite.com/colors/

Comment

I've used Epoxy in the past to laminate 1/4" Corian to plywood and end grain Balsa, this could be done to save the cost of 1/2 or 3/4". I wouldn't recommend this for panels more than ~18" though as Corian does expand with heat and might shear the glue line. The same can be done with stone, and might make an attractive cabinet if a solution were developed for milling the waveguide.

Comment

Sol8d surface material is also good. And cut well with router. But dusty
                            On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

Comment

Working...
                            X