• Show
Clear All

Wow Tom, those are spectacular.*
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    Website

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
      Thanks a lot, Little speaks sometimes just don't have the pizazz because of their size, but I appreciate someone seeing the beauty in such a little handful of sound.

Got the driver openings done. I did it a little different this time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1023 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	1375373Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024 (Medium).JPG
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1375374Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025 (Medium).JPG
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1375375Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026 (Medium).JPG
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1375376

These are so snug that every opening seems to cut into the cabinet someway. You can see where each cut, and drill bit slices into the cabinet wall. Really tough to get it all in, but it does work fine as long as I follow the directions I made when I designed this all those months ago! (I printed my cabinet layout and followed that.)
      Instead of doing a larger hole on the tweeter and then using gasket tape to friction fit it in place, I decided to use a slightly smaller fostner bit and dremel out the opening. Of course, that was only possible because I just got a new and much more powerful Dremel-type tool from HFT and it really works well, lots of power. I was able to make the hole enlarged enough to fit the tweeter in nice and snug. I'll just use some black caulk to hold it in place and keep it sealed up. I also put some caulk on the wire where it leaves the back of the tweeter since it is kind of an open design and not intended to be used in a sealed cabinet with another driver.

I may use poly on the striped ebony and lacquer on the bubinga, since I know the poly works well on the striped ebony. The bubinga could have issues with adhesion, so I'll do a more involved process to finish that with boiled linseed oil, sealer, then grain filler, sealer, then lacquer. Being small, I hope it doesn't take too long.

Anyway, not much to see, I know, but hopefully by next week, they will be looking pretty much finished.
      I'm really looking forward to giving these to their intended recipients pretty soon.

TomZ

*Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
        What he said ...

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

Thanks a lot, Little speaks sometimes just don't have the pizazz because of their size, but I appreciate someone seeing the beauty in such a little handful of sound.

Got the driver openings done. I did it a little different this time.

Name:	IMG_1023 (Medium).JPG
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	1375373Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024 (Medium).JPG
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1375374Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025 (Medium).JPG
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1375375Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026 (Medium).JPG
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1375376

These are so snug that every opening seems to cut into the cabinet someway. You can see where each cut, and drill bit slices into the cabinet wall. Really tough to get it all in, but it does work fine as long as I follow the directions I made when I designed this all those months ago! (I printed my cabinet layout and followed that.)
          Instead of doing a larger hole on the tweeter and then using gasket tape to friction fit it in place, I decided to use a slightly smaller fostner bit and dremel out the opening. Of course, that was only possible because I just got a new and much more powerful Dremel-type tool from HFT and it really works well, lots of power. I was able to make the hole enlarged enough to fit the tweeter in nice and snug. I'll just use some black caulk to hold it in place and keep it sealed up. I also put some caulk on the wire where it leaves the back of the tweeter since it is kind of an open design and not intended to be used in a sealed cabinet with another driver.

I may use poly on the striped ebony and lacquer on the bubinga, since I know the poly works well on the striped ebony. The bubinga could have issues with adhesion, so I'll do a more involved process to finish that with boiled linseed oil, sealer, then grain filler, sealer, then lacquer. Being small, I hope it doesn't take too long.

Anyway, not much to see, I know, but hopefully by next week, they will be looking pretty much finished.
          I'm really looking forward to giving these to their intended recipients pretty soon.

TomZ

It's not often one sees this attention paid to small speakers like those. It's refreshing.
          No matter where you go, there you are.
          Website

Comment

Thanks, Gowa.

Got some poly on the striped ebony boxes and some BLO on the Bubinga cabinets. Liking the look so far I think.

I put one coat of rub on poly on the striped ebony boxes, then scuffed and painted on a few grain lines where the router bit dug too deep into the veneer and it got washed out. Then I applied some newer stuff by Rustoleum... triple-thick polyurethane spray, went on pretty nice and it is fairly thick with just a few coats. I'll build more once I sand it a bit in a few days, but it looks like it may look pretty decent when finished.

It's posing next to it's matching subwoofer, a bit shinier since that had lacquer applied...but as long as they don't stand next to each other...

I didn't see that little spot on the bubinga cabinets...I'll have to check that out when I get home, not sure what that is.

Momentum... ahhhh, gotta love it.

TomZ
            Attached Files
            *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I like the rolled off top edge Tom, really adds some character to the little guys.
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
              The Archers
              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
              The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                I like the rolled off top edge Tom, really adds some character to the little guys.
                Thanks Kevin, I agree... and it wasn't too much more work than just a simple roundover.

I've got the finish done on both sets.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1039 (Medium).JPG Views:	1 Size:	256.9 KB ID:	1376372

Name:	IMG_1044 (Medium).JPG
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	1376373Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045 (Medium).JPG
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	1376374

For the striped ebony... a few coats of rub-on poly followed up by some triple-thick spray on. Then a smoothing sanding session followed by a few more coats of rub-on, and finished up by a half-dozen more coats of spray poly.

For the waterfall bubinga...** after a good bath in boiled linseed oil, I sealed the grain with sealer, then CrystaLac grain filler was applied, then more sealer, and finally topped with a bunch of coats of lacquer.*

Not perfect, but good enough for me.

Now off to assemble the crossovers and build up my courage to tackle desoldering and resoldering the almost microscopic replacement capacitors onto the Dayton 2.1 amp. * I'm going to try and take some pics in detail of that operation in case anyone else wants to give it a try.... or alternatively.... to document my complete and utter failure at attempting to solder components that make the very tip of a pencil look large by comparison.

Happy Saturday!

TomZ

Comment

That's just phenomenal,Tom! I'm using some man-made zebra veneer right now. I think I'll try the same method you used on the ebony.
                  David

Comment

Originally posted by blue934 View Post
                    That's just phenomenal,Tom! I'm using some man-made zebra veneer right now. I think I'll try the same method you used on the ebony.
                    David
                    Thanks, Dave.
                    I've used that Zebra veneer too... from veneersupplies.com. Amazing that they can manufacture something like that and make it look so real!
                    I don't know if I mentioned it, but I used some veneer softener on the man-made stuff to help the veneer conform to the roundover, and a little bit of the dye came off on the cotton cloth I used to iron it on with. I did apply the softener right before I placed it on the speaker and began the ironing process instead of letting it sit for awhile. I don't see the spot where some of the dye came off, but still, I wanted to mention it in case you end up doing something similar.

Post some pics of what you're working on please! I'd love to see it.

TomZ

Comment

That looks just fantastic! Those veneers are just beautiful and they really sure do pop!

Comment

Thanks Brian,

It took me a while to get the crossover bits hot glued and zip-tied to the PR basket... I didn't feel like soldering up the connections after that... maybe tonight.

Name:	IMG_1050 (Medium).JPG
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	1376875

Yes, I used my own write-up to assemble these with, I like following directions!

And I wasn't quite happy with the finish on the cabinets after further inspection... I put a thin coat of wipe-on on the striped ebony cabs... much better. I'll probably shoot a few more coats on the other ones as well with the Lacquer tonight, not quite shiny enough for my tastes... it was a touch humid in the garage when I sprayed the lacquer, I think that took some of the shine away.

TomZ

Comment

Gorgeous cabinetry, Tom, but is sure makes me happy that I only build floor-standers where I have lots of room for crossovers.
                          Paul

Comment

Good use of the PR basket as XO mounting I always appreciate a creative solution to the age old "Oh crap! where does the XO go?" conundrum.
                            Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                            Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                            The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                            SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Working...
                            X