Recommendations on Speaker Wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on Speaker Wire

This do not need to be magical. They do need to be sturdy, attractive, with the ability to use spade terminals or banana. I could but it all separate but if I could get a decent set with choice of compression tips that would be great.

I have a fine set but I just added some new speakers in the mix that do not accept banana tips. Those will go to another system I guess.

If zip cord isn't good enough, some people braid individual wires into a set. There are threads around here somewhere showing that. I use twisted pair with a plastic jacket, meant for in-wall use.
    Francis

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
      This do not need to be magical. They do need to be sturdy, attractive, with the ability to use spade terminals or banana. I could but it all separate but if I could get a decent set with choice of compression tips that would be great.

I have a fine set but I just added some new speakers in the mix that do not accept banana tips. Those will go to another system I guess.
      Go to the CSS site and buy a pair from them. They are cheap and exceptionally good cables.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

If you want pre-made with connectors, Blue Jeans Cable is another decent choice.
        Francis

Comment

Thanks you guys. I will check these out.

Comment

Well, mark me an idiot. The read up on the speakers I bought and found out that indeed they do accept banana plugs. I found it so odd they did not - I just could not believe it.

Alas, the speaker terminal had a plug installed at the factory. Once the plugs were removed the banana plugs work perfectly

I do need to get another set now anyway and I can get some nice twisted wire with no tips as I have some compression banana plugs laying around.

Comment

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/

I would buy from them just because they blew off Monster Cable.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                https://www.bluejeanscable.com/

I would buy from them just because they blew off Monster Cable.
                I have a lot of their cables in my system. Not the cheapest, but excellent quality, and good value.
                Francis

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                  This do not need to be magical. They do need to be sturdy, attractive, with the ability to use spade terminals or banana....
                  I was going to suggest 5 way binding posts
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	binding_post5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1371203

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Supposedly these work rather well. Click image for larger version

Name:	hanger.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1371221

Comment

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Supposedly these work rather well. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1371221[/ATTACH]
                        Coathangers sound good because of the quantum purification.that goes on in the forming process. Fact.
                        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Coathangers sound good because of the quantum purification.that goes on in the forming process. Fact.
                          Just make sure and "Burn them in" real well before evaluating them.

Comment

Member Doctormorbius used to make some cool speaker cables, he doesn't hang out here anymore. I looked at an old thread of his, unfortunately his nice pics all came up photobucket/sol for me.

Personally, I use some buyout AR brand speaker wire along with PE's cheapo banana plugs that have a set screw to hold the wire. In my experience, the thin wall of the wire cavity does not provide sufficient purchase for the set screw, and has stripped out on several plugs. I just solder them for a secure connection.

Comment

I like using standard 600V Carol direct burial cable sheathed in techflex, and using the polycarbonate nanners from here at PE. Cheap, flexible, and very effective.

Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X