Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have my work cut out for me KEF LS50

What's the budget?
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

That is a great question. In the spirt of DIY what is a reasonable $ amount? Maybe half the cost of the LS50.That would be about $650.

So $650 or less and box of similar dimension.

The low end on the LS50 is better than expected so that alone rules out most drivers. Hmm

Comment

Comment

Stephen, you seem to have a lot of irons in the fire.

Comment

For sure Dwight. As I rap up the Continuum MLTL I have to start something right away as to not go with heavy withdrawals.

Comment

If you want to see what KEF did, here is the LS50 whitepaper:
              https://www.kefdirect.com/media/wysi...hite_paper.pdf
              -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
              My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
              The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Was that a Freudian slip when you said, " As I RAP up the Continuum MLTL"?
                Paul

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                For sure Dwight. As I rap up the Continuum MLTL I have to start something right away as to not go with heavy withdrawals.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                  Thinking about this, if I relax the box size requirement I open up a lot of possibilities including doing a MTM or some other multi-driver design to make up for XMAX if needed. Still not an easy task…

I will be putting the continuum drivers in the MLTL box which will fill out the bottom a bit but it still will be missing some of the finer detail of the LS50.

Pete, is the Anarcy drivers capable of the level of refinement of the best? They have that low end which is intriguing for sure. Crossed low with a very high quality tweet might be the ticket?
                  Based on the price of the LS50, I'd wager that the Anarchy is every bit as good as that woofer, if not better, especially when you consider the ability to pump out the low end. And there's little doubt you could equal that tweeter easily enough. The LS50 is a well balanced speaker, smooth response, etc. A good DIY design can do that as well.

I think if you put the Apollo TM and the LS50 side by side, most folks would go with Apollo just because it can pound out the low end. We all know people love their bass. And those Wavecor tweets are pretty nice.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I'm curious, have you heard any DIY speaker of 1.5 CF or less that you felt was as good sounding overall as the LS 50? I'm hoping I'll hear some at InDIYana, but there is an amazing amount of thought and engineering in the KEF.

Comment

Originally posted by Drjay View Post
                      I'm curious, have you heard any DIY speaker of 1.5 CF or less that you felt was as good sounding overall as the LS 50? I'm hoping I'll hear some at InDIYana, but there is an amazing amount of thought and engineering in the KEF.
                      Oh sure. LOTS of excellent DIY small bookshelf speakers sound amazing. Of course, everything is subjective, but it's not too difficult to find better components than those that go into the LS50. It's definitely a very good speaker and unique in that the coaxial design is top notch. But the tweeter is nothing really special and the woofer is pretty average in terms of linearity and distortion performance. I heard a stellar bookshelf at the Kentucky DIY a couple years ago that used the Tang Band W4-1720 underhung woofer. I know I'd rather have it than the LS50. I'd love to put the Ares next to the LS50. I have a feeling even that inexpensive bookshelf would be better.

The Ares has smoother response than this . . .
                      That extra energy in the 2K-5K region could get a little fatiguing after a while.

Comment

Thank you. I read that some time ago and I thought it was really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          Was that a Freudian slip when you said, " As I RAP up the Continuum MLTL"?
                          Paul

Comment

If you mean the Neutrinos, Pete- yeah, those are stellar little packages! Rory did a dynamite job on them.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              If you mean the Neutrinos, Pete- yeah, those are stellar little packages! Rory did a dynamite job on them.

Later,
                              Wolf
                              That would be the ones!

Comment

Working...
                              X