No announcement yet.

What makes a good Rock n Roll speaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a good Rock n Roll speaker?

Accurate response is accurate response, no matter what the genre being listened to. As for the issues with small speakers that's Hoffman's Iron Law at work.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

High sensitivity and the ability to move a lot of air.
      Last edited by Sydney; 04-04-2018, 11:54 AM.
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Comment

If I were making a speaker for RnR, it would look like this
            - large midrange for less room involvement and greater directivity.
            - waveguide or compression driver for dynamic treble and less room involvement
            - aim for high efficiency and sacrifice low bass for it, focussing on getting mid bass strong and powerfu
            - probably use a paper cone, seem to make electric guitars sound good but I wouldn't shy away from other materials necessarily

Sounds a lot like a PA speaker honestly.

Comment

Make em BIG!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Dead Wall 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1371344

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                Accurate response is accurate response, no matter what the genre being listened to. As for the issues with small speakers that's Hoffman's Iron Law at work.
                That's my take on it, too. If a speaker only sounds good with a particular genre it's most likely coloring the sound somehow and "remastering" the music.
                Francis

Comment

For classic rock there is no need for response below 40hz, and IMO the best speakers for the genre are large floor standers with large efficient drivers. I grew up in the '70's and '80's with a set of 15" 3 ways on a 65w Sansui AU-D5.
                  Paul O

Comment

Make em BIG!
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1371344[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks for posting this. I miss 1974. I'd seen that photo before, but tonight it sent me off into Google-land where I found this thread about fake speaker stacks. It's really interesting (to me anyway) and features some good pictures and a video that still works. The Dead's drummer was not thrilled about working under that very real pile of speakers. Can't say I blame him!

Also, I agree that big is good when it comes to R&R speakers. Big and loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                      High sensitivity and the ability to move a lot of air.
                      ​Are you saying that Linkwitz is full of air?

Comment

Make em BIG!
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1371344[/ATTACH]
                        Whoa

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                          For a Rock speaker my priorities would be something like F3 in mid-30’s , SPL to 100 – 102 dB, sensitivity of at least 87 dB at 2.83V for a bookshelf, 90 dB for a floor stander.

It would be great to hear the LS50s at Fort Wayne for comparison to all the other coax designs.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                            For a Rock speaker my priorities would be something like F3 in mid-30’s , SPL to 100 – 102 dB, sensitivity of at least 87 dB at 2.83V for a bookshelf, 90 dB for a floor stander.

It would be great to hear the LS50s at Fort Wayne for comparison to all the other coax designs.

Comment

I have owned huge vintage retail speakers, with 18" woofers etc, that were not great for rock and roll,but had nice smoothness and huge deep bass, but also, limited overall power handling, and also owned retail speakers with only 10" woofers with a mid bass bump and ability to play really loud without strain, and the 10" woofer speakers were FAR better for loud rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X