No announcement yet.

What makes a good Rock n Roll speaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Jbl lsr32's for the home theater system and they are great rock and roll speakers! Only play down to 50hz, but can play very loud without strain.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post

I don’t really listen all that loud actually.
      Then you don't need a rock and roll speaker. Only two criteria for rock and roll speaker; reasonable frequency response and can play loud without strain.
      Most rock and roll sounds bad at low volume.

Comment

I just listened to Chicago, 25 Or 6 To 4 from the Steve Wilson Remix of Chicago II from HD Tracks, using my 70's Hk Citation 17 Pre and 16 Amp. Can't get anymore 70's RnR than that no? YMMV

​The speakers are my Prazise. NOT efficient! Hitting only 79db from where I sit. Yet,,,,,, very enjoyable!

​Speakers, like the speakers the people here design, PLAY WHAT YA GIVE EM!!!

​If ya don't like the way Rock and Roll sounds on your speakers,,,,,,, buy an equalizer! Oh yea,,,, and a beefy AMP!

Have Fun! Mark

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post
          Most rock and roll sounds bad at low volume.
          Totally disagree with that, the best R&R recordings were created well before the loudness wars ruined everything so this genre sounds good at any SPL level.
          Paul O

Comment

Cut off the bottom octave, squelch the top, put a pretty red foam ring round the woofer and stamp CerwinVega in the middle. "Nuttin up my sleeve, Presto!"
            Attached Files

Comment

My opinion is that you want a speaker that will hit -3 dB at 40 hZ of so, but also a little bit of bump in the 60 hZ range (1-2 dB) for the kick drum emphasis. I also think low distortion is a big benefit. Something like the CSS Criton kit sounds great with rock and metal.
              -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
                Cut off the bottom octave, squelch the top, put a pretty red foam ring round the woofer and stamp CerwinVega in the middle. "Nuttin up my sleeve, Presto!"
                ​Hey Marty, this guy needs your suggestions.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...n-vega-at-15-s

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
                  Lousy IMO.. they're all wrong. This is a driver you can build a great R&R speaker around...https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-034, you don't want home theater low response you want kick drum impact you can feel at 90-100dB and to get that you need a large driver with high sensitivity.
                  All wrong eh? A pair of Anarchy in a 1 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 41Hz will hit 112dB before reaching their rated power, from 50Hz on up, and if you give them more power on the peaks, they'll hit 115dB before exceeding Xmax. And that's just one MTM. A pair of them in the room powered with a 250W amp will reproduce concert levels. I know from experience. 100dB is easy for the Anarchy. It's not even breaking a sweat.

These things kick out some serious rock and roll that you can FEEL!!!!

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                    Model it ( I prefer to get numbers ); SPL vs frequency @ excursion points.
                    Using the published specs you can get an idea of SPL output
                    for rough example 2 drivers of that size @fs (46hz) in an Infinite Baffle should produce 95.5db at half Xmax excursion ( which allows for 6db crest factor overhead )
                    At half Xmax at 46Hz in a .5cf sealed enclosure, output for a pair is 99dB

Here's the simulation of a pair of Anarchy. 100W sealed and 250W vented.

If someone thinks this can't do rock and roll, there's something wrong with them.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	MTM box sim excursion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1371966

Click image for larger version

Name:	mtm box sim SPL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1371967

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I find maximum enjoyable SPL to be fairly proportional to (degree of extended bass + the dynamic range) of the content.

For me, a lot of classic rock material is enjoyable at very moderate levels, but starts to sound like noise at higher SPL.

It isn't the speakers or the amps or the digital vs. vinyl as much as it is the genre and the original target mediums.

I find that material that has limited bass extension and limited dynamic range sounds best on gear adapted for it. So I do agree that speakers with a slight bump down around 60-Hz or thereabouts combined with maybe some mid/tweeter controls that can help "take the edge off" might be best.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                        All wrong eh? A pair of Anarchy in a 1 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 41Hz will hit 112dB before reaching their rated power,
                        I'm sure that is a nice system, It is not too dissimilar to my HT which consists of 4 Dayton BR1 kits with a 12" Paradigm sub, this gets plenty loud for the modest sized listening room it is in and I enjoy all kinds of music with it. But I stand by my previous statements, IMO you have not heard Rock n Roll properly until you experienced it on a system with large high sensitivity drivers, and I don't mean at ear bleeding SPLs. At 100dB average(105dB peaks) your average HT speakers are consuming 100+ watts while the high sensitivity system is only using maybe 10w, that makes for a different experience. It is hard to explain but the effortless dynamics of high sensitivity speakers is something that low sensitivity speakers just can't replicate for some reason.. even when powered to the same SPL.

Paul O

Comment

High sensitive speakers typically have interesting bass curves.

Comment

Pioneer and Dual on the dresser, lattice grill Sansui kabukis on the floor, Doobie bros. on the platter.

Comment

bigger is better ... handles the high output for longer period of time . Rock-n-Roll is my main preference and i lean more toward the metal side of it all . i built these and run them with dual 12" subs . they do everything well !

Paper Towers
                              RS180P/28F surrounds
                              Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
                                I'm sure that is a nice system, It is not too dissimilar to my HT which consists of 4 Dayton BR1 kits with a 12" Paradigm sub, this gets plenty loud for the modest sized listening room it is in and I enjoy all kinds of music with it. But I stand by my previous statements, IMO you have not heard Rock n Roll properly until you experienced it on a system with large high sensitivity drivers, and I don't mean at ear bleeding SPLs. At 100dB average(105dB peaks) your average HT speakers are consuming 100+ watts while the high sensitivity system is only using maybe 10w, that makes for a different experience. It is hard to explain but the effortless dynamics of high sensitivity speakers is something that low sensitivity speakers just can't replicate for some reason.. even when powered to the same SPL.
                                I would not expect your system to be anything like what Pete is talking about. I have had speaker similar to what Pete is talking about but they were a tad more sensitive. Absolutely no need for a sub. They would pound at your chest with a small tube amp. Huge dynamics and tremendous mid-bass kick.

All of this needs to be qualified with the listening environment.
                                Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-08-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X