Bedroom Soundbar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedroom Soundbar

Not sure what you all will think of this, but thought I would see what happens. I have designed a passive soundbar with a left middle right configuration. It is overall 36 inches long 4.5 inches deep and 5 inches high. There will be an internal wall between each section and they will have their own crossovers.

Here is the crazy part! It will have 12 (4 in each section wired in parallel) Samsung BN83-1803A 16 ohm speakers mounted vertically along with one Dayton TD20F-4 tweeter in each section. This will be for a bedroom and will use an LG 5.1 surround system. I'll paint it gray to match the walls. I'm still working on the crossover design, but it looks like it will crossover at around 4500hz.
    Last edited by jonbourg; 04-09-2018, 07:16 AM.

Well I built a test box from an Amazon box with 4 of the BN83's in parallel. Not bad. I've decided to go with separates instead of a soundbar so I can put the left and right speakers further apart. I'm going with 4 ohms cause that's what the current LG speakers are. Still working on the crossover. In Xover it looks good. Changed the crossover point to 2500 hz and its fairly flat.

Comment

Here's an image of what they could look like. I'm thinking about 3D printing parts of the baffle. Still working on the design. Got the crossover modeled as a 1st order Butterworth for the woofers and a 2nd order Linkwitz for the tweet at 5000hz.

Comment

cool project!

Comment

No (good) reason to spread those drivers apart. It'll cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
            No (good) reason to spread those drivers apart. It'll cause problems.
            Instead of having them inset or rear mounted, I'm going to flush mount the drivers and put a grill over them. I will put them closer together, I think I can get them about 2 inches center to center from the tweeter. The Samsung's will be 1/4-1/2 inch apart.

Comment

Originally posted by jonbourg View Post

Instead of having them inset or rear mounted, I'm going to flush mount the drivers and put a grill over them. I will put them closer together, I think I can get them about 2 inches center to center from the tweeter. The Samsung's will be 1/4-1/2 inch apart.
              Seems like the rear mount would look a lot better sans grills as in the rendering (then again, I not the one that has to do the woodwork). Looking forward to the build.

Comment

I spent the weekend working on a 3D design for the baffle. It's 4 x 8 x 1/2 inches. The Samsung speakers will be 2.25 inches CTC from the tweet.* Got it ordered from 3D Hubs comes in Thursday. My idea is to have the 3D part surrounded by oak with a thin (1/4 inch) piece of mdf or ply behind it. This part is too expensive to do all the speakers, but we have a local tech center I can print more out if I buy the filament.

Comment

Working...
                X