Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Altoid
    Midrange Member
    • Feb 2016

I love the natural color of maple myself. If you want to keep that, then I would encourage you to look at Minwax Polycrylic. It is a water based poly, which maintains the natural color of the wood. No worries about yellowing.
    All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel

Comment

• tomzarbo
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dwigle
      Waterlox Original is a miracle product. Wipe in on with a paper towel - very thin coats. It dries pretty fast. Continue with thin coats until you get the depth of finish your after. It won't streak. It will give you a pro quality finish that looks sprayed on. And you applied it with a paper towel! It doesn't have that cheap furniture poly look.

Sometimes I apply the second coat with 1200-1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper or a white 3M scotchpad - using the Waterlox as a lubricant. Rub it in carefully to give even pressure and not sand off any dye/stain you may have applied. Then wipe it off with clean paper towels. This process knocks down any fuzzies and yields a glass like finish. Then apply two more coats normally. It's available in satin or gloss. I use satin.

Oh, the other great thing about Waterlox - you can recoat this year or next or later without sanding. I had a sub finished as described and after 5 years had water spots and rings. I lightly cleaned it with mineral spirits and rubbed it down with two coats Waterlox. It looks brand new.
      I have some of this on the way... I wasn't really looking for another finishing option, but you made it sound pretty good. I'm going to try it on some scraps.
      TomZ
      Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Gordy
        • Apr 2014

+1 for Deft lacquer. My go to rattle can. It builds pretty good and take 320 grit really will. Not hat to use the gloss and get a glass like finish. It is also cheap and forgiving.
        "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
        The Roxster
        Swopes 5.0
        Acoustic Panels
        Living Room Make Over

Comment

• Audiotorium
          Midrange Member
          • Nov 2012

Update:

After one coat of Natural Watco Danish oil and 764 coats of gloss Minwax wipe-on polyurethane, they look like this..
          I am happy with the result. Next time I will try a few coats of Danish oil (no poly) and polish to a satin lustre with a 3M fine pad.

I was able to upload the photos!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Audiotorium; 04-24-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• ani_101
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Feb 2012

question - how did you bend the veneer over the facet and flush trim it on the edge?

Comment

• Audiotorium
              Midrange Member
              • Nov 2012

The veneer is very soft, so I just ironed it..
              I used my router to flush trim it.

Comment

• Audiotorium
                Midrange Member
                • Nov 2012

Photos added to my post above!

Comment

• marvin
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Oct 2005

Very nice on the box, veneer, photos, and uploading. There, that should cover it.

Comment

• djg
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • May 2008

Nice work.

Comment

• williamrschneider
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • May 2007

You should be proud of that. Very, very nice work!
                      Bill Schneider
                      -+-+-+-+-
                      www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Working...