Beryllium got a reprieve!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

You missed several. Turned out, a beryllium violin sounded pretty sweet!
    ...due to the toxicity of Glucinium. Don't touch, handle, lick, or inhale.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

...due to the toxicity of Glucinium. Don't touch, handle, lick, or inhale.

Later,
      Wolf
      Can't touch this!
      Francis

Comment

I personally would stay away because I hate the misuse of the term "literally". I remember one time watching a football game and the announcer said the safety hit the running back so hard that "he literally took his head off"...which of course didn't happen.

In this case, I'm not 100% sure of the statement "Ulfberht Be literally strikes out at the listener with percussive elements" because I'm not sure what "percussive elements" are and whether they can "literally strike" (maybe there are little microscopic pieces of the Beryllium striking the listener, although I'm not sure that is a good thing.

Comment

What does “constant velocity” mean in terms of this design?

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
            Who knows what it means? A month ago, this same company was ridiculing the use of Beryllium tweeters because the speed of sound in the dome material didn't match the speed of sound in the air.

They'll write whatever they think will bamboozle the reader.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
              It means, it's positively the best sounding loudspeaker you've ever heard! So just buy it.
              Francis

Comment

Same discussion going on at Diyaudio: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...beryllium.html
                Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often. -- Mark Twain

Comment

It is another offering for sure. Perhaps there are some that like the sound that beryllium driver makes. I don't know I have never heard it or the speaker so I am not going to make a quick judgment. Perhaps an opinion. But I can't make a real informed decision. Glad he does what he loves though. Wish I had a job that I loved
                  Last edited by hobbyhands; 04-14-2018, 01:38 PM.
                  On the cheap diy. That is my motto - www.hifiposse.com

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
                    Perhaps there are some that like the sound that berillium makes.
                    Beryllium doesn't make a sound, no more than does paper, aluminum, titanium, magnesium, polypropylene or any other material that driver diaphragms are made of. It has its benefits where tweeter diaphragms are concerned in that it has a very high stiffness and strength to weight ratio, but it's expensive and difficult to work with due to its toxicity. As for the Tekton about face, first they denied the worth of beryllium tweeters because they didn't use them. They changed their tune when they started using them. That should come as no surprise to anyone who's looked at the other nonsense that they post on their site.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      Beryllium doesn't make a sound, no more than does paper, aluminum, titanium, magnesium, polypropylene or any other material that driver diaphragms are made of. It has its benefits where tweeter diaphragms are concerned in that it has a very high stiffness and strength to weight ratio, but it's expensive and difficult to work with due to its toxicity. As for the Tekton about face, first they denied the worth of beryllium tweeters because they didn't use them. They changed their tune when they started using them. That should come as no surprise to anyone who's looked at the other nonsense that they post on their site.
                      So you don't think the high Young's mod number or low density contribute to the " sound " of a Be tweeter ? If it doesn't, why use it ? As you pointed out it is expensive, and hard to work with. Apparently lots of people must think it sounds better or they would not be using Be domes. Maybe it contributes less to bad sound, but doesn't that mean it still has a sound.
                      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by cap View Post
                        Now it will just sound more detailed noise ! as they were bad to begun with
                        So I guess you have heard them?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
                          So I guess you have heard them?
                          Not this speaker. I have listened to the Focal, Paradigms, SB, Seas and Scan Be tweeters. They are very nice sounding when used correctly. Maybe to clean for some. Have you listened to the speakers or any Be tweeters ? What do you think of them.
                          Tekton had one early design that I liked. The other speakers they have designed that I have listened to I don't care for.
                          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Just as a side note to Be tweeters, Jeff B said the new SB Be tweeters are right there with the best he has ever heard or used, maybe even the best.. That includes a lot of tweeters.
                            craigk

Comment

Does a beryllium tweeter make a sound if there is no one in the room to hear it? There are so many fractors in what makes a tweeter sound like it does that that diaphragm material might not even be the most important. I’ll bet the surround and voice material are just as important. I have found the compliance of the surround and damping of the dome or very important when restoring and modifify vintage tweeters I have played with including Focal and Dynaudio. I have even used boiling water and an eye dropper to make old surround on tweeters more compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

Not this speaker. I have listened to the Focal, Paradigms, SB, Seas and Scan Be tweeters. They are very nice sounding when used correctly. Maybe to clean for some. Have you listened to the speakers or any Be tweeters ? What do you think of them.
                                Tekton had one early design that I liked. The other speakers they have designed that I have listened to I don't care for.

I have had a chance to hear the Ulfberht regular, the Di, and I owned a pair of mini lores for a while. I was strapped for cash and had to sell them :(.
                                I like how they sound. Not sure how, but he has figured out the comb filtering issue on the 7 tweeter array he has was going? He is every bit as passionate about audio as many of us here are. The owner is very much like us. He loves to design speakers. I have also had a chance to look at the FR response of the Di. Pretty flat FR.

Now the sound they produce may not be for everyone. But there are to my ears anyways a nice sounding speaker.

Though I still like building my own. It is just fun, and can't afford the expensive stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X