MWAF Registration Open

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWAF Registration Open

I see the registration is open and there are already familiar names on the list. I was about to register before holding off to ensure the boss has the kids under control. The next decision is how I classify my project(s).

I intend to roll 2 projects into a single full range entry:
    Indy 8 for the sub and power amps
    MicroSat for 100Hz up

The drivers are all Dayton, and they're well under $200, so they could fit in either category. The complication is that the setup is active, which I understand may stick them in the open unlimited class where they're likely to be stomped by higher powered DSP actives or outclassed by high end drivers in a passive speaker. So I can:
    • Argue that they should go into the lower class categories with an exception to the "active" rule. (they're simple to setup and connect, no expected setup delays)
    • Go ahead and stick to open unlimited and hope they can hold up enough to not be embarrasing
    • Split the MicroSat out as a passive entry (but they'd be less than satisfactory without any useful output below 100Hz)
    What do you think?
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

I see no way around all active systems (whether complex or simple) having to be entered in the Unlimited category, so you either have to enter that category or just enter the MicroSat into either the Under-$200 or All-Dayton category. Keep in mind that the music used in the Under-$200 category is usually the least "challenging".
    Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul... kinda what I was thinking too. I'll likely enter the set as open unlimited if required anyway, just for the fun of seeing how this low budget system compares.

Follow up question:
      If I do the set as a "project" in open unlimited, could I split just the MicroSat's out as a second under $200 entry? I know that a speaker can't be in 2 categories, so this is yet another grey area or potential bending of typical rules here.

Next year I'll have to do something more simple, like a real full range passive
      Wogg Music

Comment

That was a change from several years back. People were adding a sub to a pair of speakers for the open unlimited. I don't see how you could get around this. That said I think the open unlimited category is ripe for new people doing DSP. In my opinion there have been only a handful of really good full range active systems the last 2 years.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
          Thanks Paul... kinda what I was thinking too. I'll likely enter the set as open unlimited if required anyway, just for the fun of seeing how this low budget system compares.

Follow up question:
          If I do the set as a "project" in open unlimited, could I split just the MicroSat's out as a second under $200 entry? I know that a speaker can't be in 2 categories, so this is yet another grey area or potential bending of typical rules here.

Next year I'll have to do something more simple, like a real full range passive
          ​Probably best to get PE's blessing but I don't see why it should be an issue. It would be a 2.1 in the Unlimited class and only a 2-way in the Under $200 class, so technically, not the same speaker.
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
          The Archers
          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
          The Gandalf's

Comment

Not allowed to do what you're describing AFAIK.
            Paul

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

​Probably best to get PE's blessing but I don't see why it should be an issue. It would be a 2.1 in the Unlimited class and only a 2-way in the Under $200 class, so technically, not the same speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

PE doesn't allow it anymore.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Well there you go then. I'm OK in the unlimited class I suppose... probably get walloped by some nice expensive speakers ;) Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                Wogg Music

Comment

Registered! I show up with my actual name, Paul G.

Hoping for minimal embarrasment with a budget setup in the open unlimited class Looking forward to it!
                  Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
                    Registered! I show up with my actual name, Paul G.

Hoping for minimal embarrasment with a budget setup in the open unlimited class Looking forward to it!
                    I'll be registering myself in the next few weeks. Gotta finish the cabinet finishing process on my two designs (SuperBees and SevenSixTwo). It'll be my first MWAF as a competitor, so I fully expect to get whipped I'm actually looking forward to it, and to get feedback from folks so I can keep improving as a designer!
                    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                    The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                    SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Working...
                    X