New tool for you veneer guys--Azebiki

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tool for you veneer guys--Azebiki

I'm veneering my S2000 speakers in pear wood burl (which is a huge PITA, it's brittle and likes to crinkle, but is gorgeous.
    So far, my new MVP tool is a Japanese Azebiki.

Lay it flush against the side of the work. Trim with the crosscut side. Excess veneer falls off. Clean up with a sharp plane....minimal dust, minimal fuss, great results.

While I haven't bought a veneer saw, I'm in no rush.
    This has the added benefit of being wicked sharp, impulse hardened, and has clearance for handles....just letting you know!

Any issues with cutting through glue squeeze out?
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

nope.

Rips through it with good technique.
      Generally, I recommend running a utility knife through the area first to score the cut...a Hock violin knife or Murphy Mill knife is better....a hand forged Kiridashi is even better yet.

The Azebiki is like a veneer saw on steroids.

Comment

(edited - NM)

Comment

Are the teeth set to both sides of the blade, or is one side flush? I have been quite happy with how my Veritas flush-cutting saw trims veneer. I cut from the bottom at an angle, engaging the teeth on the down stroke to avoid tear out. I am in the process of veneering a set of DN-10 cabinets, and the blade followed the gentle curve on the front nicely.

Comment

Working...
          X