Introducing the New RST Tweeters From Dayton Audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
    Well, the specs are sufficiently different that they're not a drop-in for the first gen tweeters. No surprise there. I can't wait to find out if they match the original's..."robustness".
    Update your picture - you don't look anything like that anymore!!* Ha ha!

Comment

Yar, The man of the chutes calls for the sea captain?*
      nothing can stop me now

Comment

If memory serves, weren't these things around $55 or so for the previous versions?
        Nice work PE!

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

The RS28F were $54.55 right before they went NLA.*

Part of me wants to jump on a pair because of the introductory price, but my project queue is already a mile deep. Might as well be chill and see what people start doing with them.
          nothing can stop me now

Comment

If these measure well, PE will have an untouchable hit on their hands for years to come. Those prices seem crazy compared to the competition.
            Eric L.

Comment

They've got the DA25 and DX25 to compete with at that price, but it's probably the only low cost large dome option out there at 28mm.
              "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
              exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

How well will these work on waveguides, and why hasn't Dayton figured out that there is a huge demand for dome tweeter waveguides? Denovo and Visaton each make dome tweeter waveguides that PE doesn't stock, despite carrying other products from their lines. I'd prefer to buy some WG 148Rs from PE but I guess they're cool with having me order them from Mouser.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                  They've got the DA25 and DX25 to compete with at that price, but it's probably the only low cost large dome option out there at 28mm.
                  Good point. The*Peerless DX25BG60-04 has some pretty amazing specs for the price. *

Eric L.

Comment

That DX25BG60 is a monster.*
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by humphreyblowdart View Post
                      How well will these work on waveguides, and why hasn't Dayton figured out that there is a huge demand for dome tweeter waveguides? Denovo and Visaton each make dome tweeter waveguides that PE doesn't stock, despite carrying other products from their lines. I'd prefer to buy some WG 148Rs from PE but I guess they're cool with having me order them from Mouser.
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The SEOS-8 was initially designed for the RS28 tweeter.* But the tweeters were discontinued a little after the waveguides were done.

Comment

I downloaded the zips for both these new drivers.
                          The GRAPHS LOOK ok to me, but there's trouble in frd/zma land.
                          (Actually, the frd "graph" for the "A" dome is really a copy of the zma graph!)

The z-profiles (of BOTH) are pretty close to the old 28A curves (not the "F" curve), although the Fs is roughly 200 Hz higher for either version. Still, they seem like they'd take a 1.5k cross pretty well.

BOTH drivers have identical .frd data (which can't be right, as the fr graphs ON the SPEC SHEETS are different from each other). That data looks like it's for the 28F (silk dome). The silk dome looks to have gained around +3dB of sensitivity over the older RS tweeter (according to the "specs", the 28A has gained that sensitivity as well).

The .frd data in the .zips are screwed up on the Dayton Audio site as well.
                          The only place I see what looks to be a "reasonable" fr curve for the new 28A is on its "Spec Sheet" - which you then need to trace.

So, I took an old RS design (w/the silk dome) and pretty much could drop in the NEW silk dome by adding 1-2ohms to the L-pad SR, and subtracting 1-2ohms from the L-pad PR. Nice "flat" top 1-1/2 octaves.

The new 28A unit will take a lot more work IF you really liked the old top octave rolloff. The new driver has a bit different "crown" to the fr curve w/more extension before rolling off up top.
                          (Hard to believe the new pricing though!)
                          Last edited by Chris Roemer; 04-26-2018, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I know, I'm just kvetching. If anything the rising response of the RST looks like it might lend itself even better to waveguide loading than did the original.

Originally posted by Chris Roemer
                            The silk dome looks to have gained around +3dB of sensitivity over the older RS tweeter

The new driver has a bit different "crown" to the fr curve w/more extension before rolling off up top.
                            Was the original RS28A overhung? Are the new motors using the same basic topology? I'm not so much asking you directly as hoping a Dayton rep. will chime in. I doubt it really makes much difference from a user perspective, I'm just curious as to the reason for the change.

Comment

Yeah, I know, I'm just kvetching. If anything the rising response of the RST looks like it might lend itself even better to waveguide loading than did the original.
                              +1. I saw that for the F model and thought it might work well in my next horn.*
                              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                              X