Introducing the New RST Tweeters From Dayton Audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Pete and Erich,

I just got a pair of RST-A and a pair of RST-F, and tried them on the SEOS-8. The grill diameter of these new tweeters is much larger than the old ones so there's no way to fit them flush against the back plate of the waveguide. I guess Erich is going to have to design new ones.

Hong
    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
    Sonata Soundbar Project
    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Good to know, thanks for checking the fit Hong
      Projects:

Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
      transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
      Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
      References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
      Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

If you remove the grill will the surround clear with some mods for mounting?*
        Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

That's what I'm going to do next, but as the opening of the tweeter is much larger than that of the wg, you're not going to have good results. Shaving the back of the wg to create a smooth transition between the tweeter and the wg is the only solution, but that will require some special tools which I don't have.
          Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
          ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
          LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
          Sonata Soundbar Project
          The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

I really, really, really wish PE would sell a waveguide for the RS tweeters. I find it incredible how few easily available waveguides there are for DIYers that don't require experimentation and modification of the waveguide, transducer or both.*

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post

That's what I'm going to do next, but as the opening of the tweeter is much larger than that of the wg, you're not going to have good results. Shaving the back of the wg to create a smooth transition between the tweeter and the wg is the only solution, but that will require some special tools which I don't have.
              I recently bored out a PRV WG with a big round-over router bit by using as a drill bit, worked great.*
              Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I have the new tweeters on hand and my next batch of 3D printed waveguides will include some for them. I see the fabric dome also has a phase shield? Interesting.
                ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                DriverVault

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                  I have the new tweeters on hand and my next batch of 3D printed waveguides will include some for them. I see the fabric dome also has a phase shield? Interesting.
                  Phase shield... Ya mean that little disc of plastic just underneath the top of the grille? I saw that, and recognized it from other high quality designs, but I haven't looked up an explanation of exactly what's going on (physics-wise). So far I've just assumed "good thing" and have started brainstorming designs.
                  Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                  Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                  The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                  SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Phase shields are used because tweeters are domes, and not flat. Sound propagating from the center of the dome would arrive sooner than sound arriving from the edges of the dome. Not a big deal with lower frequencies, but here the wavelengths are sufficiently short that you'd have phase cancellations and ragged response. So you cover part of the dome with the phase shield.

It's a little unusual here because normally fabric domes have enough internal damping or are coated in such a way that sound propagates more uniformly. It's usually more of a "metal" problem.
                    nothing can stop me now

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
                      Phase shields are used because tweeters are domes, and not flat. Sound propagating from the center of the dome would arrive sooner than sound arriving from the edges of the dome. Not a big deal with lower frequencies, but here the wavelengths are sufficiently short that you'd have phase cancellations and ragged response. So you cover part of the dome with the phase shield.

It's a little unusual here because normally fabric domes have enough internal damping or are coated in such a way that sound propagates more uniformly. It's usually more of a "metal" problem.
                      Thanks bud! That makes sense. I learn something new every day
                      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                      The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                      SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post

You only need a router table, a jig, and the ability to take good measurements(not acoustic :D).
                        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
                          Soft domes are into break up at those frequencies so don't vibrate like pistons and don't have the path length cancellation issues.* The damping helps keep the response in control while break up is having its good ol time

Comment

There is only one thng worse that being talked about, not being talked about. Oscar Wilde.
                            i would settle for this tweeter not being talked about anymore unless it is about how it sounds and measures acoustically. Anybody?

Comment

fred, we're just killing time until someone starts posting results, how's the weather in texas?
                              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Are you telling me to go outside and play? I took my dog for a walk this morning went out in the back with her a couple of times. It may be warm enough to go swimming pretty soon. She has been several times this spring. She gets hot after her walk or her sun bathing and jumps in the pool to cool off.

Comment

Working...
                                X