Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker driver measurements: 2-4" midrange, full range

Hi all,

Several years ago I measured a bunch of 2-4" cone midrange / 'full-range' drivers and published the results on my website in a 'Zaph Audio'-style. You can view the measurements and commentary here:
    http://feleppa.com.au/speakermeasmid.html

I still have all the measurement equipment I used in 2013 and I'm hoping to get back into measuring soon. I plan to add +10dB and -10dB harmonic distortion sweeps in addition to the existing test level otherwise the test methodology won't change.

My interest is still primarily in small drivers with the focus on using them as midranges in passive 3-way systems. Drivers I have acquired and plan to test very soon are as follows:
    -Scanspeak D7608/920010 3" dome midrange
    -Dayton Audio RS52AN-8 2" dome midrange
    -Dayton Audio RS52FN-8 2" dome midrange
    -Dayton Audio RS75-4 2" full range*
    -Aura NS3-193-8A1 3" full range
    -Peerless TC5FB00-04 1.5" full range
    -Peerless TC5FB00-08 1.5" full range
    -Peerless TC5FC00-04 1.5" full range
    -Peerless TC5FC07-04 1.5" full range
    -Peerless TA6FC00-04 2" full range
    -Peerless TA6FD00-04 2" full range
    -Peerless TC7FD04-04 2.5" full range
    -Peerless 830970 2" full range
    -Tang Band W2-748SG 2" full range
    -DLS Ultimate U2.5 and UR2.5 2" dome midranges (Morel CDM54 and a version with a sealed rear chamber)
    -Tang Band W3-2141 3" full range
    -SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5" full range
    -HiVi B2S 2" full range

All of the drivers previously tested and the ones listed above have been purchased by myself with funds from my own pocket. I have no affiliation with any audio companies, my day job is not in the audio industry. Up until this point I have been doing this only to satisfy my own curiosity. If there is significant interest in a particular driver and I become interested too, i'll consider purchasing and testing it. Being in Australia shipping is quite killer from USA and Europe so I can often only justify buying a whole bunch of drivers at once, rather than buying just one pair at a time.
    I may consider in the future accepting driver donations for testing if there is demand. I will never do a 'paid review' however - my opinion can't be bought and I will always call a spade a spade

I may also consider doing ~1" tweeters and ~6.5" woofers in the future as I have a bit of a collection of those now too .

Any feedback is always appreciated. Cheers!
    -Tim

Very nice. We have missed Zaph's (John Krutke) tests over the past few years and you seem to have picked up the baton.
    Last edited by thekorvers; 04-30-2018, 01:56 AM. Reason: grammar
    Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Very informative, thanks.

Comment

Comment

I like your summaries, looking forward to more drivers!

Comment

Great pages, informative narrative and solid technical testing.* Two thumbs up!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments

New driver measurements added:

Link to results

All the peerless measured as expected. The TC5 are kind of interesting; Tweeter-like response at the top end but a much different distortion characteristic at the bottom end since they are an overhung motor with much higher xmax and lower fs than the average tweeter. They overload more gradually than the average tweeter. Would work great in an array - I'm thinking of how I can use a pair of them with a 7" woofer.

Peerless 830970 and Aura NS3 are close to unlistenable imo.

The Tang band has an excellent motor, I just wish they found a better cone for it. I've always said that TB need to put a metal cone on one of their better motor designs. This motor with a metal cone would be killer.

The RS52F is a bit of an upset. The RS52A I purchased years ago performs much better.

Comment

Thanks for the nice review.* My measurements are similar
                I was tired and got tired again so now I am Re tired.

Comment

Thanks for posting, very informative again.

I'd be interested in measurements of Faital 3FE22 drivers, I've read the distortion is very low.* They have an odd flange/mounting which I think turns a lot of people off to them.

Comment

Originally posted by TMM View Post
                    Thanks for the positive comments

New driver measurements added:

Link to results

All the peerless measured as expected. The TC5 are kind of interesting; Tweeter-like response at the top end but a much different distortion characteristic at the bottom end since they are an overhung motor with much higher xmax and lower fs than the average tweeter. They overload more gradually than the average tweeter. Would work great in an array - I'm thinking of how I can use a pair of them with a 7" woofer.

Peerless 830970 and Aura NS3 are close to unlistenable imo.

The Tang band has an excellent motor, I just wish they found a better cone for it. I've always said that TB need to put a metal cone on one of their better motor designs. This motor with a metal cone would be killer.

The RS52F is a bit of an upset. The RS52A I purchased years ago performs much better.
                    I got one today and think it sounds very nice. I think it is better than the DC50 which has a pretty good reputation around here. It is very smooth not annoying in the highs like many people find the aluminum version.*

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Open the +12db measurements for F and A versions in different tabs and flick between them. The A version is a lot cleaner from 1-2kHz which is smack bang in the middle of the range that you want to use this driver. The dip in frequency response of the F version also hurts it's sensitivity pretty badly if you design for flat response over say 800hz-3khz. The A is better in every way except for the metal breakup node, which is a non-issue if you design the crossover properly. I don't expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of the results, that's why the raw measurements are there I'm human too so my opinion can change over time as I notice different things in the results. I recently revised my comments about the W3-1364SA because it suffers a similar issue. It's too easy to say "oh this is a small issue, it probably won't be too noticeable" but when there is another driver that doesn't have any issues and it is the same price, I find it hard not to rate the other driver much more highly.

There is also the issue of consistency. The two RS52F that I purchased performed rather differently in non linear distortion. If this kind of variance is normal, what's the chance that you receive a driver which is worse than either of the ones I tested?

That said, is it entirely possible that the current chinese RS52A may have similar issues. My RS52A are the older indian made ones. I can't justify buying another set especially given that if they aren't that same as what I've already got, it's more likely that they are worse rather than better.
                        Last edited by TMM; 05-05-2018, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Hot off the test baffle:
                          -Scanspeak D7608/920010 3" dome midrange
                          -Dayton Audio RS75-4 2.5" full range
                          -Tang Band W2-748SG 2" full range
                          -HiVi B2S 2" full range

Also added HD measurements at higher levels for the Fountek FR88EX, enjoy!

Link to results

Comment

Thanks for posting all this.* It's a great set of measurements and commentary.

Comment

Thanks for all your work, very useful info.

Comment

Working...
                              X