Clear All

Driver measurements added:
    -DLS Ultimate U2.5 (Morel CDM54) 2" Dome
    -SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5"
    -Dynavox LY302F 3.5"
    -MCM Audio Select 55-5650 3.5"
    -Peerless TA6FC00-04 2"

Link to results

Really impressed with the Dynavox LY302F - probably the best 'full range' driver I've tested to date. The MCM 55-5650 would also make a fine midrange - and I suspect it is a close relative of the Dayton RS100 ;)

Comment

do you have any test results for full range drivers or midbass that can be used full range in 5" and 5.25" or 6" and 6.5" and 8" or a recommendation for those

Comment

Originally posted by TMM View Post
        Driver measurements added:
        -DLS Ultimate U2.5 (Morel CDM54) 2" Dome
        -SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5"
        -Dynavox LY302F 3.5"
        -MCM Audio Select 55-5650 3.5"
        -Peerless TA6FC00-04 2"

Link to results

Really impressed with the Dynavox LY302F - probably the best 'full range' driver I've tested to date. The MCM 55-5650 would also make a fine midrange - and I suspect it is a close relative of the Dayton RS100 ;)
        Just checked the link and I don't see the new drivers..?

Comment

Originally posted by 300Z View Post

Just checked the link and I don't see the new drivers..?
          Probably need to clear the old page from your cache if you've visited it before the update because it's a static HTML page. Ctrl+F5 on PC, Command+R on Mac.

edit:added some code to the page that should force everyone's browsers to automatically dump the old cached versions of the page.

Comment

It seems to me that most of these full range drivers are intended for low output applications such as
            TVs and sound bars due to their low efficiency and thermal capacity. The big domes and a few others
            are exceptions.
            The following might work but I believe are still limited:
            -SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5" nonthermally conductive former, at least VC is 1"
            -Dynavox LY302F 3.5" Paper former, strange with a whizzer cone
            -MCM Audio Select 55-5650 3.5" Black 1" Aluminum former but not very flat response
            - SEAS FU10RB H1600-04

The Founteks look good also.

Thanks very much for sharing your data, I know that it takes a lot of work.
            Last edited by Pete Basel; 06-15-2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

This to me is more of a true midrange with short Xmax and low mass cone to improve efficiency,
              probably should not be used below 300 - 400 Hz:
              https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...aper-midrange/

This one is even better with 89.5 dB/2.83V sensitivity:
              https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...aper-midrange/

Comment

Did you consider the: AuraSound NS2-326-8AT Whisper 2" Extended Range Speaker

https://www.parts-express.com/auraso...m_campaign=pla

Comment

Most of them should still handle a couple of watts which is enough for ~90dB/1m average level - loud enough for most people. Generally if you avoid driving them into non-linear distortion, you'll avoid burning the coil. That covers fullrange usage through to dedicated midrange usage; the higher you cross the louder it can play.
                  For midrange use, the extension and physical size of 2-3" cone drivers also opens the possibility of an MTM configuration with a small neo tweeter, resolving some concerns about power handling and/or sensitivity for larger systems.

The AuraSound NS2 looks ok but with 3mm one way xmax and the size of the motor I find it difficult to imagine that the distortion through the midrange is going to be that impressive. The datasheet also indicates a resonance issue about 1.8kHz.

Comment

Originally posted by TMM View Post
                    The AuraSound NS2 looks ok but with 3mm one way xmax and the size of the motor I find it difficult to imagine that the distortion through the midrange is going to be that impressive. The datasheet also indicates a resonance issue about 1.8kHz.
                    I used the NS2 Whispers for about a decade in my car when I was doing local car audio SQ competition without any issues even when high passed at 500hz. The issue around 1.8khz has to do with the rear screen, I removed the screen on mine and inserted a ball of wool into the rear vent and that solved the resonance issue, or at least it did on mine.
                    I may get another pair of them, I really liked these little things, I hope they are still as good as my old ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X