X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300Z
    replied
    Originally posted by TMM View Post
    The AuraSound NS2 looks ok but with 3mm one way xmax and the size of the motor I find it difficult to imagine that the distortion through the midrange is going to be that impressive. The datasheet also indicates a resonance issue about 1.8kHz.
    I used the NS2 Whispers for about a decade in my car when I was doing local car audio SQ competition without any issues even when high passed at 500hz. The issue around 1.8khz has to do with the rear screen, I removed the screen on mine and inserted a ball of wool into the rear vent and that solved the resonance issue, or at least it did on mine.
    I may get another pair of them, I really liked these little things, I hope they are still as good as my old ones.

Leave a comment:

• TMM
    replied
    Most of them should still handle a couple of watts which is enough for ~90dB/1m average level - loud enough for most people. Generally if you avoid driving them into non-linear distortion, you'll avoid burning the coil. That covers fullrange usage through to dedicated midrange usage; the higher you cross the louder it can play.
    For midrange use, the extension and physical size of 2-3" cone drivers also opens the possibility of an MTM configuration with a small neo tweeter, resolving some concerns about power handling and/or sensitivity for larger systems.

The AuraSound NS2 looks ok but with 3mm one way xmax and the size of the motor I find it difficult to imagine that the distortion through the midrange is going to be that impressive. The datasheet also indicates a resonance issue about 1.8kHz.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied
    Did you consider the: AuraSound NS2-326-8AT Whisper 2" Extended Range Speaker

https://www.parts-express.com/auraso...m_campaign=pla

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied
    This to me is more of a true midrange with short Xmax and low mass cone to improve efficiency,
    probably should not be used below 300 - 400 Hz:
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...aper-midrange/

This one is even better with 89.5 dB/2.83V sensitivity:
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...aper-midrange/

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied
    It seems to me that most of these full range drivers are intended for low output applications such as
    TVs and sound bars due to their low efficiency and thermal capacity. The big domes and a few others
    are exceptions.
    The following might work but I believe are still limited:
    -SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5" nonthermally conductive former, at least VC is 1"
    -Dynavox LY302F 3.5" Paper former, strange with a whizzer cone
    -MCM Audio Select 55-5650 3.5" Black 1" Aluminum former but not very flat response
    - SEAS FU10RB H1600-04

The Founteks look good also.

Thanks very much for sharing your data, I know that it takes a lot of work.
    Last edited by Pete Basel; 06-15-2018, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TMM
    replied
    Originally posted by 300Z View Post

Just checked the link and I don't see the new drivers..?
    Probably need to clear the old page from your cache if you've visited it before the update because it's a static HTML page. Ctrl+F5 on PC, Command+R on Mac.

edit:added some code to the page that should force everyone's browsers to automatically dump the old cached versions of the page.

Leave a comment:

• 300Z
    replied
    Driver measurements added:
    -DLS Ultimate U2.5 (Morel CDM54) 2" Dome
    -SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5"
    -Dynavox LY302F 3.5"
    -MCM Audio Select 55-5650 3.5"
    -Peerless TA6FC00-04 2"

Link to results

Really impressed with the Dynavox LY302F - probably the best 'full range' driver I've tested to date. The MCM 55-5650 would also make a fine midrange - and I suspect it is a close relative of the Dayton RS100 ;)
    Just checked the link and I don't see the new drivers..?

Leave a comment:

• sdep777
    replied
    do you have any test results for full range drivers or midbass that can be used full range in 5" and 5.25" or 6" and 6.5" and 8" or a recommendation for those

Leave a comment:

• TMM
    replied
    Driver measurements added:
    -DLS Ultimate U2.5 (Morel CDM54) 2" Dome
    -SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5"
    -Dynavox LY302F 3.5"
    -MCM Audio Select 55-5650 3.5"
    -Peerless TA6FC00-04 2"

Link to results

Really impressed with the Dynavox LY302F - probably the best 'full range' driver I've tested to date. The MCM 55-5650 would also make a fine midrange - and I suspect it is a close relative of the Dayton RS100 ;)

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Thanks for all your work, very useful info.

Leave a comment:

• Michael P
    replied
    Thanks for posting all this.  It's a great set of measurements and commentary.

Leave a comment:

• TMM
    replied
    Hot off the test baffle:
    -Scanspeak D7608/920010 3" dome midrange
    -Dayton Audio RS75-4 2.5" full range
    -Tang Band W2-748SG 2" full range
    -HiVi B2S 2" full range

Also added HD measurements at higher levels for the Fountek FR88EX, enjoy!

Link to results

Leave a comment:

• TMM
    replied
    Open the +12db measurements for F and A versions in different tabs and flick between them. The A version is a lot cleaner from 1-2kHz which is smack bang in the middle of the range that you want to use this driver. The dip in frequency response of the F version also hurts it's sensitivity pretty badly if you design for flat response over say 800hz-3khz. The A is better in every way except for the metal breakup node, which is a non-issue if you design the crossover properly. I don't expect everyone to agree with my interpretation of the results, that's why the raw measurements are there I'm human too so my opinion can change over time as I notice different things in the results. I recently revised my comments about the W3-1364SA because it suffers a similar issue. It's too easy to say "oh this is a small issue, it probably won't be too noticeable" but when there is another driver that doesn't have any issues and it is the same price, I find it hard not to rate the other driver much more highly.

There is also the issue of consistency. The two RS52F that I purchased performed rather differently in non linear distortion. If this kind of variance is normal, what's the chance that you receive a driver which is worse than either of the ones I tested?

That said, is it entirely possible that the current chinese RS52A may have similar issues. My RS52A are the older indian made ones. I can't justify buying another set especially given that if they aren't that same as what I've already got, it's more likely that they are worse rather than better.
    Last edited by TMM; 05-05-2018, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied
    Thanks for the positive comments

New driver measurements added:
    -Dayton Audio RS52AN-8 2" dome midrange
    -Dayton Audio RS52FN-8 2" dome midrange
    -Aura NS3-193-8A1 3" full range
    -Peerless TC5FB00-04 1.5" full range
    -Peerless TC5FB00-08 1.5" full range
    -Peerless TC5FC00-04 1.5" full range
    -Peerless TA6FD00-04 2" full range
    -Peerless TC7FD04-04 2.5" full range
    -Peerless 830970 2" full range
    -Tang Band W3-2141 3" full range

Link to results

All the peerless measured as expected. The TC5 are kind of interesting; Tweeter-like response at the top end but a much different distortion characteristic at the bottom end since they are an overhung motor with much higher xmax and lower fs than the average tweeter. They overload more gradually than the average tweeter. Would work great in an array - I'm thinking of how I can use a pair of them with a 7" woofer.

Peerless 830970 and Aura NS3 are close to unlistenable imo.

The Tang band has an excellent motor, I just wish they found a better cone for it. I've always said that TB need to put a metal cone on one of their better motor designs. This motor with a metal cone would be killer.

The RS52F is a bit of an upset. The RS52A I purchased years ago performs much better.
    I got one today and think it sounds very nice. I think it is better than the DC50 which has a pretty good reputation around here. It is very smooth not annoying in the highs like many people find the aluminum version. 

Leave a comment:

Working...
X