Mr Bagby's Tribute and Universal Woofer Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Bagby's Tribute and Universal Woofer Build

I realized that the "Honey-Do List" never ends so in order to build something I wanted, I just added Tribute Build onto the list and at last they have percolated to the top. I have had the components for a couple of years now so it's full speed ahead.

The plan is to use Baltic Birch and a box of biscuits in the construction. I think I will spray the cabinet in gloss black (the Spray Goddess and I have reconciled so why not) and veneer (first time) the baffle in figured maple. Maybe purple....

Below are two Sketchup renditions. Sketchup is really powerful, but I think I could have built them in the time it took me develop some rudimentary sketching. I wanted a single cabinet so they are a bit different from my Tarkus build.

Does anything jump out at the Knowledgeables that I should fix before I throw the power lever?
    Dressed Tribute Version 2 with the angled back
    First Build: Gloss Red Tarkus

why not use that space behind the sealed mid/tweeter section as volume for the woofer or woofers

Comment

Originally posted by cap View Post
      why not use that space behind the sealed mid/tweeter section as volume for the woofer or woofers
      I was trying to keep the woofer cabinet as close as possible to the '46-48' litres. So increasing the volume will be beneficial?

Comment

You could have that volume cab and use the space behind the TM section.

Comment

It looks like a bit more lower extension penalty free.*
          I modified my sketch to show the expanded room, so that makes sense to use it and benefit.

Next is a quick workshop check to ensure my framing square is square, table fence is parallel, panel cutting jig is 90 degrees, dust collector empty and time to start cutting that BB.

I don't see any real issues that prevents me (or that I will have regrets) if I start on my cut list.

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_73074mod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1374029
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks Wolf!

That diagonal now looks like a fence gate which as you point out is very strong. I see from your explanation that the volume doesn't change as long as I move the brace equal distances.

I'll incorporate that into my sketch.

Comment

I updated the SketchUp in Post 1 to reflect Wolf's suggested change.

First the track saw to get the sheet somewhat manageable so I can run it through the saw.

Next, cut the pieces to size but I leave the 6 front baffle pieces oversize so that when I glue them up, I can trim them square then. I also want to leave that until the rest of the cabinet is built to ensure the baffle will cover the cabinet in case of some measurement errors.

I have some half inch pieces to cut and then I start the dadoes.

Comment

much better design.. Better to have the space than look for it !

Comment

Last edited by Stevers; 05-03-2018, 04:45 PM. Reason: 'is NOT exactly'

Comment

I decided to cut the dados through instead of stopping them (well one I did). You have to lower the work piece down onto the saw blade and that gives me the willies. I cut them through, and then fill the slot in with a cut off. You can see that below.

Next I had to cut the dado for the angled back for the midrange. There was no way I could cut that accurately with a dado blade, so I treated it as a long mortise and cut it by hand. First I marked the sides with my knife. This gives a keen edge. I then chisel back to the cut line to provide some clearance and then I use that as the guide to saw down to the dado depth. I chop out the waste with a chisel, and then use the router plane to get a perfectly smooth bottom.

I've got two more angled dados to cut and then time for the dry-fit/test. If that goes well, I'll do the biscuits to attach the top bottom and sides.

Comment

I cut the last two angled dados and tested the fit and they were great - too great it will turn out.

Here is a pic with the braces without glue showing that they are tight in the dado. This would cause a problem when the glue was applied.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dado and Braces too tight.jpg Views:	1 Size:	312.2 KB ID:	1374689
                        Next I cut all the biscuits to join the sides to the back top and base, about 40 of them and did a dry fit test to see if there were any issues. There was one; I had cut a biscuit right where the angled back dado in the top was cut so I had to trim two biscuits with mini-dados so that they didn't interfere with the angled back. I labelled them A and B and put them in a safe place. I also had the order for fastening the top and base wrong as I could not get them on with the biscuits in place - they had to be the first things assembled.

Next was the dry-fit / glue-up test. I read a good blog entry on the importance of being prepared for the glue up (Rob Porcaro - http://www.rpwoodwork.com/blog/2018/...dont-screw-up/) so as I did the final test fit, I took notes on the process:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Glue Up Order.jpg Views:	1 Size:	317.9 KB ID:	1374690

The test fit went well, took 20 minutes which is well within the glue setup time I had all the clamps and glue ready to go:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Clamps ready.jpg Views:	1 Size:	599.3 KB ID:	1374691This is the most I've been prepared so let's start glueing!
                        Well, the Goddess of Glue-Up was not impressed with my offering of a glass of Kefir. At step 4, gluing the woofer base, I think it swelled just enough to require a ton of force to get the brace to slide home into the back dado. I was working fast, following the order on my list until the last step of attaching the side to the assembly: the angled back was catching the edge of the dado. All the other dados and biscuits were aligned so when finesse fails brute force rules - I used some pipe clamps to 'crush it home'. The stopwatch says 30 minutes for the glue up. I'm really glad I did the test run.

Here is the glued-up cabinet. All the braces fill the dados on the sides and backs and it is rock solid. I have the through dados on the back to fill in.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Glued Cabinet One.jpg Views:	1 Size:	372.2 KB ID:	1374692

Comment

I took the clamps off and there were a couple of bulges where the brace didn't fully seat in the dado. I'm definitely going to shave some off the braces to ensure that and swelling from the glue doesn't lock them in place.

I planed the bulges out so it is nice and flat now.

Now to glue-up cabinet number two.

Comment

Cabinet Two Glue-UP:

I made a couple of changes before doing the glue-up on this cabinet: first I shaved a bit off each brace so that they were no longer locked in the dado. Second, I put a tiny chamfer on the edge that receives the second side to help with the brace locating into the dado.

I also changed my process and glued all the biscuits into the sides first, and then started the assembly. This time the glue-up took 25 minutes and was relatively stress free.

Here's the cabinet clamped - I still needed to use the pipe clamps to pull the sides in tight. I really like the Bessey clamps (the red ones) but the don't exert any where near the force of pipe clamps and I torque the Bessey until I start to rupture corpuscles in my hands.* Maybe some hockey tape to make the handles bigger ....

I'm starting to think how to glue up the baffles, using cauls or something..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Second Cabinet Glue Up.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	1374806

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X