Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

brand new 10" ultimax with glue joint problem - return or use warranty if necessary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand new 10" ultimax with glue joint problem - return or use warranty if necessary?

So I was breaking in a brand new Ultimax I just received.* Naturally it was a 20Hz test tone to get the excursion flowing.* After a while I heard a ticking noise, and found this:* the epoxy/CA/whatever at the triple joint was allowed to roll-over into the 1st trough of the surround:

This is the case on both sides where the tinsel leads are.* This is not how my other (used) Ultimax is, and thus works just fine.* The noise was the adhesive that had lifted off the trough of the spider (at all 4 points) was smacking the spider, like 4 little feet tapping as the assembly traversed from peak-to-peak.* Hopefully you can see what I mean in this picture:

I don't suspect it would be a world-ending problem as I'll never run anything below 30ish Hz, but still, I know for a fact it shouldn't be that way and I can only suspect that there is a small chance that the section that has lifted out of the trough might take the rest of the joint out with it.* What would you do?* I know it has a 5yr warranty, so that does put me somewhat at ease.

If purchased from PE within the last 45 days, call their customer service.* That should be a quick turnaround for a replacement (a few days).

Comment

Yup, replacement should be no problem... that's a failure, and I'm pretty sure they would want to know about this.
      TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

10-4.* I'll email the return/customer serv/technical department tomorrow morning with pictures.

Comment

Working...
        X