Troels baffles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troels baffles

I see speaker builder, Troels Gravesen, tends to mount his tweeters further back using a stepped baffle configuration. This seemsto be a simple way to help align acoustic centers of the drivers.* All of his designs seem very top-notch and very high-end. Why don't we see this technique in other designs? He seems to be the only one who does this.*

www.audioexcite.com* *In addition, quite a few OEM's use slanted baffles instead of a stepped baffle, probably for aesthetic reasons.* I find the stepped babble to be a bit ugly, but it certainly works.* Kits like the Kairos and* the new SBA equivalent are sloped.

Comment

He isn't the only one who does it, but the merits (like Troel's opinions on capacitors) are absolutely and endlessly debateable.*
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

On a side note, the weird inclusion of that weird character in my particular view of this forum reminds me why software developers in general are overpaid, and testers are underpaid. Amazing that an insanely common and widespread forum software is subject to bugs a high school student would not tolerate.

Comment

Fun .

Any idea what that garbage above means?

Comment

The garbage doesn't show lol

Comment

Very interesting, I didn't realize others use that technique as well. I should have just used him as an example and not said he's the only one, my fault.*
              The look of the stepped baffle takes some getting used to for sure.**
              Yeah, the forum has been acting very weird this past week.* All we could do at this point is just ignore the garbage as we read posts.

Comment

Troels Is a fan of symmetrical second order crossovers and they aren't easy to do when the relative acoustic centres aren't aligned.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                  Fun .

Any idea what that garbage above means?

* fun

[fən]

NOUN

ADJECTIVE
                  informal

VERB
                  NORTH AMERICAN
                  informal

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    He isn't the only one who does it, but the merits (like Troel's opinions on capacitors) are absolutely and endlessly debateable.*
                    Troels' trolls.
                    Last edited by ; 04-29-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I think the main reason is probably that it looks ugly. The step is also not so nice for edge diffraction. Of course, you could add a strip of foam/felt there but that would make it look even uglier.

2nd order crossovers can be achieved successfully without the step. You need a driver that can cross low and Troels seems to be allergic to crossing drivers low.

Comment

We've done similar.
                        It can look pretty good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Piano_StiffBreeze.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	1374067

Click image for larger version  Name:	Black1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	283.4 KB ID:	1374066

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Nice!!* *those look so much nicer than a sharp edged rectangular box. Takes ones woodworking skills to another level.

Comment

They might look better, I will bet in a blind listening test you can't pick round from sharp edge.
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Troels says it makes crossovers easier, and he seems to be really into the whole time-alignment thing. I suppose it has some merit, keeping the acoustic centers of the drivers the same distance from the listener. I couldn't tell you if you could hear the difference. I think one of the things that makes his speakers "ugly" is that he tries to make the cabinets easy to DIY, though you could make them as fancy as you want, provided you don't change the baffle size and driver spacing (like any other DIY design).

Comment

Working...
                              X