Funk Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funk Music

This weekend we were talking about music and DanP*mentioned he liked funk. I figured I'd post my list of groups here as maybe others can add to it. Ive picked up a few new bands from members here.

I lean toward instrumental funk, but like most all until it gets too close to Jazz. Stuff that gets too close to Jazz is Medeski Martin and Wood, John Scofield. Although The Netherlands live album is very good. Charlie Hunter also has some funk.

I'm sharing specific songs only if theres a track that highlights some funkiness.

James Brown
    Galactic
    Stanton Moore
    Speedometer
    The New Mastersounds
    Soulive
    Maceo Parker
    The Meters
    Ben Harper
    Lettuce
    Vulfpeck, 1612
    Lefties Soul Connection, Fais Do Do
    Mr President, Left And Right
    Charles Bradley
    Menahan Street Band
    Orgone
    Trombone Shorty
    Incredible Bongo Band
    The Quantic Soul Orchestra, West Pier Get down
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Thanks for sharing this, like a lot of people (I'm sure) my experience with funk is mostly only the baseline popular stuff like Dazz Band, P-Funk Allstars, etc. I have some listening to do!
    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Where is the King of funk George Clinton ?
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

It's Bootsy baby!

Comment

Agree with post 3 & 4
          And where is Sly & the Family Stone
          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

There's a lot there that I've never heard of John - thanks!* Off the top of my head, my list would consist of:

War (my all time favorite band)
            Average White Band
            Ohio Players
            O' Jays
            Sly and the Family Stone
            Parliament
            The JB's (James Brown's band without the man himself)
            Curtis Mayfield
            Isaac Hayes
            The Temptations (they got pretty funky later on)
            Fort Knox Five
            Us3

I'm sure there's a few more, but that's all I can remember for now.

Dan
            The Hurricanes
            The Baronettes
            Conneccentric
            UX3

Comment

There's a new Funk hall of fame near PE in Dayton: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/10/57647...f-fame-in-ohio The article linked also includes a Spotify Playlist put together by the organization's president.

Comment

My first LP was Rafael Cameron's LP with "Funkdown" on it . Also listened to Parliament / Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins , Skyy,Y& P (of "Don't Stop The Music" fame), S.O.S. Band, Zapp, Cameo, The Gap Band, and the Brothers Johnson, amongst others. I guess I'm dating myself by some of those names, LOL...
                Brian Steele
                www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

All of the above, plus*
                  Zapp with Roger (More bounce to the ounce!)
                  Brecker Brothers (Heavy Metal Bebop)
                  Imani Coppola (Legend of a Cowgirl)
                  TomTom Club
                  Me'shell Ndegeocello
                  Clark / Duke project (Louie, louie )
                  Tower of Power
                  And certainly some of the Cibo Matto grooves.
                  I was the assistant recording engineer on Cameo's "She's Strange" in 1984.
                  Yeah, it was the Larry, Tommy, Nate, Charlie, KK show every night for 3 months.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot - never figured John H as a funk head.* John, we have GOT to get together sometime.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

CURTIS MAYFIELD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmo6MRYf5g

Comment

Not sure if Kool and the Gang is funk music but I think its pretty funky sounding. LOL

Comment

BAR-kAYS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpI1fcJdFrA

Comment

Herbie Hancock has his Funky moments and of course Stevie
                          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Nice! As a bass player by night my core is all funk. Everything from the jazz side like MM&W to the rock side like Infectious Grooves and weirdos like Primus. It's all about that rhythm section. I think the above has covered a lot of my selections, I'll add if I think of more later. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                            Wogg Music

Comment

Working...
                            X