Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

There is absolutely nothing weird about a big brown bea ver. Take it back. Primus is very different, really well recorded music though.

really PE, you can't type b e a v e r as a word. Pretty ridiculous.
      The video is awesome for Wynona. I read recently George Clinton (Parliament/Funkadelic) is retiring from touring. How about Rick James "Superfreak"
      I bought a 2 cd set from Walmart Funk 1&2 a couple years ago and it is a Funk collection for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

The video is awesome for Wynona. I read recently George Clinton (Parliament/Funkadelic) is retiring from touring. How about Rick James "Superfreak"
        I bought a 2 cd set from Walmart Funk 1&2 a couple years ago and it is a Funk collection for sure.
        George Clinton will make you like funk.
        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Nice thread, thank you!

Like many musical labels, funk can mean different things for different listeners: for me, 'funk' can be as varied as:

Mister Magic by Grover Washington Junior;
          Superstition by Stevie Wonder (esp. the live version on Sesame Street)
          Stuff Like That, by Quincy Jones;
          Dolly Dagger, Jimi Hendrix
          Rag Mama Rag, The Band
          Drive My Car and Got to Get You Into My Life, The Beatles

These tracks share a real groove or swing, particularly in the bass lines; they really make me want to get out of the chair and 'dance like nobody's watching'

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
            ... they really make me want to get out of the chair and 'dance like nobody's watching'
            Ultimately you dance the "Reckless Abandon", when you don't care who is watchin'
            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

If funk had 'standards', then I think "Flashlight" would be there.

Comment

I'm a little late to the game on this (the album debuted over a year ago), but Thundercat's Drunk has been in my rotation a lot lately.

Also Yusef Lateef's .

George Duke and Stanley Clarke's solo stuff (excluding the inexplicable Clarke/Duke Project, which is a guilty pleasure but nowhere near the best of either's catalogue)
                Isaac Hayes (has he been mentioned?)
                Ronnie Foster
                Some of Donald Byrd's stuff from the '70s
                Roy Ayers

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
                  Nice! As a bass player by night my core is all funk. Everything from the jazz side like MM&W to the rock side like Infectious Grooves and weirdos like Primus. It's all about that rhythm section. I think the above has covered a lot of my selections, I'll add if I think of more later. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Squidspeak; 05-02-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                    re: Jungle Love - The late Steve Ferguson did an outstanding cover of that song with & the Midwest Creole Ensemble. Ferguson brought that Louisiana Gumbo element to funk; along with guys like Dr. John.
                    George Duke got a mention early ( post #9), a LOT of solo work, along with many collaborations ( F.Z, The Brecker Brothers,etc,etc, and including The Billy Cobham & George Duke Band.

And the late great Bernie Worrell
                    Billy Cobham? Yeah, I have a few of his albums, but I've never listened to that one. I would have never though he did anything even remotely resembling funk. Anyway, thank you for the link, I listened to it.

Comment

I worked with George for a bit, it got weird.*
                      Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Billy Cobham? Yeah, I have a few of his albums, but I've never listened to that one. I would have never though he did anything even remotely resembling funk. Anyway, thank you for the link, I listened to it.
                        haha, maybe everyone is a little Funky at times.
                        I followed BC during the early 70s and saw him live at a festival at the Louisville Baseball Stadium. The festival had an unusual lineup that include Alphonse Mouzon (RIP). Both extraordinary drummers.
                        * from 1976 - The Billy Cobham-George Duke Band ( RIP George):
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBM...9YrUQdUv8a0BkA
                        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                          haha, maybe everyone is a little Funky at times.
                          I followed BC during the early 70s and saw him live at a festival at the Louisville Baseball Stadium. The festival had an unusual lineup that include Alphonse Mouzon (RIP). Both extraordinary drummers.
                          * from 1976 - The Billy Cobham-George Duke Band ( RIP George):
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBM...9YrUQdUv8a0BkA
                          I caught Billy once, at California State University Northridge. He was playing there along with the Louis Bellson Orchestra. I briefly spoke to Billy during intermission, asked him about his work with Tommy Bolin.

Comment

I caught Billy once, at California State University Northridge. He was playing there along with the Louis Bellson Orchestra. I briefly spoke to Billy during intermission, asked him about his work with Tommy Bolin.

Tommy played some great stuff on Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" album, sounding almost like a cross between Hendrix and Clapton.* Another under-rated player; also played on**'Come Taste the Band' by *Deep Purple and did a solo album which I haven't heard but which is supposed to be worth a listen.

Geoff

Comment

I caught Billy once, at California State University Northridge. ..
                              I was lucky enough to attend a Drum Seminar featuring Bill Cobham; unforgettable display of his skill

Comment

I also fall in with the funky horn music.* Just found these guys which are similar to the dirty dozen brass band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4shqAs6uEWo

Sorry no synthesizers here
                                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                                X