No announcement yet.

In conclusion: "Fenrir"...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, Ben. It's good to see some more info on these, and it was good to hear them at InDIYana. Do you have any thoughts on the differences between your design and the MTM version that was also at the show?Your speakers sounded very nice and refined to my ears, but the MTM version had either a distortion issue from a tweeter crossover point that was too low (1.8k) or an uncontrolled woofer breakup. I couldn't quite place what I was hearing, but there was definitely an upper-midrange harshness in the MTM, especially at higher volumes.
    Eric L.

Comment

Originally posted by dst View Post
      What are you impression of these woofers and the others offered by the RAD site?
      I feel that the Rival woofers are on par with a lot of the Scandinavian offerings, or even their Chinese copies. You don't see 7" woofers with impedance profiles such as these. They are ruler flat with almost no rise at all. They have a full copper sleeve on the center pole, so that helps a lot. I have another pair of a different model Rival, and they Le is even lower than on these pictured above.

Fred-
      I feel the design where I ended up is a very nice sounding design, and a first-class implementation for these very special drivers. I like them a lot!

Billet-
      Your thoughts concur with mine here. I really like the aesthetic as well. They turned out very nice looking. I'm just laying out the thought process I went through during the design stage. What you heard at InDIYana was the final xover circuit, and I'm very happy with where they ended up.

Eric-
      I think it was a little of everything. Low xover, undamped breakup, and untweaked levels in the attenuation resistors. I played with mine for over 2 weeks to get them where I wanted. I'll get into that more in the thread progress. I did comp the breakup with an LC, and xovered high enough that the HD shouldn't have been a concern.

And on with more info...
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Okay- so I constructed the xovers as I had modeled them. I had no choice but to place the coils for the woofer circuit where I did. They are about 0.75" apart, so I did the best I could. I happened to have foils for the values required, so that is what I used. I had to wind the coils for the 0.2mH tweeter shunt and the 0.1mH woofer shunt. I also had to piece the caps for the tweeter circuit, as 7.5uF and 8.0uF are not common values.

This is how they looked upon completion...
        Woofer xover:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Small7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1374417
        Tweeter xover:

Name:	Small12.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1374418
        I really thought they sounded good after I put them together. After a bit of listening, something was just missing.

Then I measured them, and got this less than modeled result:

Name:	Fenrir2FR.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1374419

I had a -5dB broad dip centered at the xover point. I measured reverse polarity to make sure I didn't just flip something, and that was worse, so I went on to modify what I had here. PCD showed that increasing the first cap in the tweeter network would lift the early rolloff to a flatter result. Also since the resistors in the network attenuated either end of the response, I just*bypassed the first one and measured again:

Name:	FenrirFR_Added2pt55uFCap_RemovedR1.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1374420

I was on the right track. I don't really know what caused the discrepancy between sim and measured this time around, but I've never had this issue before. Listening proved that this as just a bit hot now over all, so I added a bit more resistance in the aft position to tilt it down a smidge.

Measured result:

Name:	FenrirVoiced_nosmoothing.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1374421

That's where I left it. It sounded good, resolved well with*good detail, and the mild dip could take out the edge*most listeners would fatigue from.

Only a few posts to go to complete the saga...
        Wolf**
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	FenrirVoiced_1-6thFR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	1374423

This is where the HD came out for the system, no smoothing applied, -9dB level on the preamp, so pretty darn loud:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FenrirVoicedHD_-9dB.jpg Views:	1 Size:	181.3 KB ID:	1374424Click image for larger version  Name:	FenrirZ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	163.4 KB ID:	1374425

You can see the cursor verifies the 41 Hz tuning, so I was pretty well spot on as far as the box goes.

Since I had a 10uF cap with about 4 parts making it, you can see way above that I swapped in a single 10uF Clarity DTAC for the first tweeter cap. Why use more parts than you have to? That's 6 parts I can use some other time. Here is the schematic as I built it and the resistors are real resistors not including the DCR of the coils adjacent. Some have asked me why I used a SXO on this pairing, but the circuit is of the parallel variety this time around. Apparently the way I drew it is misleading because I just overlapped the 3rd order filters atop of one another. Click image for larger version  Name:	FenrirXover.png Views:	1 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	1374426

So, there you have it! Why I made the decisions I did and what made me do what I did. I hope the information was applicable to others' knowledge, and provides some insight to some scenarios that should be carefully resolved.

Thanks for reading!
          Wolf
          Last edited by Wolf; 05-03-2018, 03:10 PM.

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I don't want to hijack Wolfs thread, but I've got a quad of the coated paper (CP) , a quad of the Aramids, and a pair of Kevlar (KCB)

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I wondered just how good the Wavecor TW022 tweeter was, and some googling found some tests on*heissmann-acoustics <dot> de
              FR, distortion and decay look pretty good.

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

His 2nd order*HD measured about 5dB lower than I did with my 2 units. I also did not get as flat of an FR like he had for them. I had seen his data before, but didn't know the source of the information.

I*know my data allowed me to make a nice sounding speaker, so that's what matters to me in a nutshell. Thanks for the link info...

Later,
                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Comment

Those fenrir woofs are on sale now.
                    No matter where you go, there you are.
                    Website

Comment

Why dual ports? Would one single larger port have been problematic?

Comment

Thank you for offering up this most excellent design!

Comment

Why dual ports? Would one single larger port have been problematic?
                          It would have been hard to fit within the constraints of the box. 2" was not enough in single, as I'm using dual 1.5" diameter ports. Being the depth of the driver, the depth of the cab to make it 18 ltrs, It just would not have fit physically if I went with a single large port.

Phil-
                          I really like how they turned out as well. That's a very highly figured piece of Pine ply, and it suits the design very well.

dst-
                          You are welcome! I'm very pleased at their capabilities. Net sensitivity is a bit low at about 81-82dB, but they'll take the juice to get to a moderate level just fine.

Later,
                          Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Ben -

Besides the excellent drivers and design, I like 2 things about this build:
                            The wrap around pine grain is awesome!* What did you use to pop the grain?
                            I loved your talk about hacking the box to get the crossovers to fit. I've had to do that more than once....

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Well, I really*didn't do anything extra to pop it. It was really nice grain to start with. I sanded/finished with 80/120/300/poly, 300/0000steel/poly, 0000steel/poly, 0000steel/clean off. This is the oil-based 'high-build polyurethane' from Minwax, wiped on with a t-shirt rag. This was not the 'wipe-on' poly, or the water based, as I prefer the golden sheen of the oil stuff. It turned out really pretty!

Poly and pine is a pretty simple finish, and if the grain is figured, even better! I have used Minwax pre-treatment in the past for stains on Pine if I'm staining it, but since I didn't stain it- I didn't use it.

Later,
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Wolf, I'm not usually a fan of Pine but your cabinets look really good. I think the figured look you describe is the face veneer is rotary cut as opposed to plain slice
                                or quatered. Rotary cut has the benefit of having no seams on the face. Anyway nice project, I bet it sounds as good as it looks. Will this become a kit?

Comment

Working...
                                X