Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many on this forum have Active systems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many on this forum have Active systems?

Not a premise for a debate - just a Simple survey
    ( I've had off-forum discussion with a few. )
    Thanks in advance
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

I do. Tri-amped, with DCX2496 as the crossover.
    Francis

Comment

I do. Now patiently waiting for my pair of Hypex Fusion to arrive...*
      "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

I have a 3 way with a Rane crossover.* Drivers are Usher 10", Vifa 3" dome and RS28S tweeter.* I also have a Rane 2 way crossover and a Mini Dsp.* I use a 6 channel Rane amplifier.* I like it very much.**

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
          I do. Tri-amped, with DCX2496 as the crossover.
          I have the same also .

Comment

I have Linkwitz LX521 speakers that have both 3-way active crossovers plus a passive crossover between two mid drivers on each unit. I use an ATI 1806 (6ch x 180w) amp to drive the speakers.
            Newer implementations of this speaker are fully active without the hybrid active/passive crossovers, but they require more channels of amplification.
            Bill Schneider
            -+-+-+-+-
            www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

I'd like to say I went active because of the technical advantages; but the truth is I had no idea what I was doing at first, and active was easiest to tweak on the fly.
              Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                I'd like to say I went active because of the technical advantages; but the truth is I had no idea what I was doing at first, and active was easiest to tweak on the fly.
                A humble admission
                Note: I'm finding the inclusion of details on each implementation to be informative - Thanks and keep 'em comin'
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Until recently I had a 4 way active system - two 8" woofers, midrange, tweeter and ambiance tweeter. I mostly did it because I screwed up designing a passive XO. Moving back to a simpler system.

Comment

Oh here are the details. SB26Stac tweeter, SS 15m discovery midrange, 2x rs225-8. Woofers powered by NAD amp, other channels by a commercial distribution type amp (6 channels.)* Using 2x minidsp units.*

the minidsp unit is dead easy to configure - you can run your measurement gear through it, so you can pretty much tweak and measure in real time until the response is perfect. Sound was good but the complexity was outrageous and the 8 conductor speaker cables were ridiculous.*

I'm moving towards a system where I have dsp integrated subs and normal mains. I think that's a better approach for hifi.*

Comment

I'm using largish horns (Altec 511), so the digital time delay of the DCX2496 is really handy for time alignment. A passive approach would be a real compromise, so I'm sticking with active.
                      Francis

Comment

mini dsp 2x4 with Sure 4ch amps

I use both passive and active, sometimes for the same speaker

Comment

My 3-ways with open baffle mids started out as passive and are now active.* The XO is Linux-based, all from freely available software.

Comment

Does anyone have experience using the DBX driverac PA2 using it for active x-over in a hi-fi setup. I currently use the Berh DCX2496 and thought this
                            maybe a better unit or just $100 more for the same use.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                              Does anyone have experience using the DBX driverac PA2 using it for active x-over in a hi-fi setup. I currently use the Berh DCX2496 and thought this
                              maybe a better unit or just $100 more for the same use.
                              Off the top of my head - I believe mattsk8 had.
                              Can't speak for use in a home system, I used a DBX ( not a DriveRack to replace a lesser faulty B ).
                              However the DriveRack is a solid piece of gear in a friend's A-line PA, as well as BSS OmniDrive

Comment

Working...
                              X