Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ohaple
    replied
    Done at last. Only thing remaining is to run wire through the floor to hook up the surrounds and to tune the system some.

We hooked up the drivers to some (overkill) wire, fed them through the cabinet, and soldered to the crossover. The crossover was then secured to the bottom with hot glue. We stuffed the cabinets with ~1lb each of polyfill per the design instructions.

We cut the port to length. One minor confusion we had from the design was how long the port should be. The design reads "3"x6" with flares." We were uncertain how to interpret 6" with flares. If we included the flares in the measurement there was essentially no straight section. If we cut the straight part of the Precision Port to 6" it would not fit in the cabinet. At the end we interpreted it to mean 6" of straight 3" tube with flares added to each end. Since the precision port kit flares each have ~2" of straight on them we ended up adding 2" so there is 6" straight total. I believe this is what was intended in the design.

I ran out of vinyl so had to order more. It came in and I did the bottom before securing the rubber feet. This will be on hardwood so I opted for thick rubber feet.

I finished up the remaining sides with vinyl:

After that, it was time to hook them up and make sure that everything operates as intended. They worked and sound great. The way I have the sub and front channels tuned right now the bass is overpowering but that is just a matter of adjusting sub volume and eliminating the tuning I did to get more from the little speakers we were using before. Very happy with how it all turned out. The blue vinyl looks almost black in the normal interior low light, but when you hit it with sunlight from a window it pops bright blue.

I will update once I have the surrounds routed and hooked up, but the actual build part of the project is done.

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    It has been slow-going. Colorado winter has been wet and cold, making it pretty hard to get these finished up. I got the boxes completely sanded and sealed. Ruined the bearing in my orbital sander in the process. After the boxes were smooth I applied 3 thick coats of polyurethane to each side with a brush. Once that cured we got to work on veneer. We had enough 3m adhesive veneer to do most of the project, but we needed to use traditional veneer on the inside faces. After applying veneer I have been working on putting a final finish on all of the wood parts. We are nearly done with that, then will apply the vinyl.

On one cold day we went ahead and prepared the crossovers. We used laser-cut acrylic plates to layout the crossover and make mounting easy.

We are only a few steps from done, I am excited to get the project complete and move onto other things.

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    Great job!.....everything so far looks fantastic!
    Thanks!

Didn't make a ton of progress this weekend, but we got the baffles put on. Unfortunately our cuts were less straight on these towers than any of the other speakers we made. There are a few gaps here and there which we are handling with gorilla glue ont he inside and wood filler on the outside to make a smooth finish. Next step is my least favorite: sanding. sanding some more. Then sanding that again.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied
    Great job!.....everything so far looks fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    I know its been a few months, but we are finally getting back to this project. I have spent the last six months or so working on a complete tear-down and re-build of my back yard, and finished a couple weeks ago.

This last weekend we were able to finish gluing up the second tower and cut the baffles for both. I am very happy with how they are turning out. Next will be sealing the cabinets and installing the baffles. Finishing usually takes several days, and then electronics at the end.

Unfortunately my PE order for the components was placed in May and we left the box unopened until this weekend, when I noticed that it contains four Peerless tweeters instead of four DA mid-bass drivers. I am working with customer support to resolve this but may be out of luck since I waited so long to catch the error. I will understand if I have to order them again at my cost due tot he delay, but PE customer support has been pretty killer in the past so who knows.

EDIT: Just checked email and it looks like PE is going to take care of the exchange for me. Impressed by the quality of service since this is an issue that could have easily gone a different direction with a different company.

Here are the photos of our progress:

We got the maple for the baffles at full size, then cut them into two parts so they would fit on the CNC. The parts will then be grain-matched again to minimize the visual impact of the splice.

The parts are on the CNC and it gets to work cutting out the driver recesses and holes.

Then the contouring is cut-in to match the aesthetic of the other speakers and to minimize baffle impact a bit.

We did the same thing with the port, and this shows them sitting against the cabinets to approximate how it will look. Due to the kerf of the saw, the grain is not an exact match, but it is pretty dang close.

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    We made some good progress this weekend. Parts cut, and cabinets partially assembled. Next weekend we plan to CNC cut the maple baffles and begin the finishing process.

Some rough cut parts:

Test-fit with just clamps. Fits well.

Glued up:

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    Originally posted by bradley.s View Post
    Pretty system.
    Thank you. Fit and finish are almost as important here as sound quality since this will be a major focus point in the main entertaining portion of our home. I am also working to run the surround wires through the floor so that when installed, there are no wires running across the floor or around the wall.

Leave a comment:

• bradley.s
    replied
    Pretty system.

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    Resurrecting this thread some. Now that warm weather is back, we are working on the fronts. Last weekend we cut the rough parts for the cabinets, and the drivers and electronics arrived a couple of weeks ago.

To design the fronts, I went back to sketchup. I tried to keep the same theme for this design. Will update as we make more substantial progress on the fronts.

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    So you used an Aviatrix CC, and the (were they RS100s?) current LRs are going to surround duty. What are you going with for mains, RS drivers or some Aviatrix-type jobbies?
    (I'm surprised your CC wasn't an RS design?)
    Yes, RS100s. They will be acting as surrounds when I get more traditional fronts built.

The fronts will be the aviatrix MLTL towers, modified to use the same visual style.

We didn't want to go down the RS path for the primary speakers for a couple reasons. First, while we have built a handful of subs and four two-channel setups, we always have been able to take advantage of active crossovers. It was important (to keep cost down) to keep this build passive. I didn't want our first passive crossovers to be of our own design, especially for a center channel where unintelligibly can be a real issue. Second, we didn't want to experiment since experimentation is usually more expensive. We have done experimental builds and had a blast, but again for this budget setup we wanted to use something that the community has tested to reduce the risk and potential expense. The whole 5.1 system, amp and sub included, will probably cost about $1000 by the time it is all done.

Even with the little RS100s acting as LRs, the system sounds very good. I am impressed with the Aviatrix design for the cost.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    So you used an Aviatrix CC, and the (were they RS100s?) current LRs are going to surround duty. What are you going with for mains, RS drivers or some Aviatrix-type jobbies?
    (I'm surprised your CC wasn't an RS design?)

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    Alright, got through the busy time and finished up the last details on the center and sub this weekend. I finished the veneer for the center and applied it to the baffle. Since it is adhesive veneer, it was pretty much just peel and stick. For the sub, the walnut parts are 1/2", so I applied a thin layer of gorilla glue and clamped. I am very happy with how both look. Next step is to order the parts for the fronts.

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    I got the sub and center reinstalled over the weekend. Started out by applying the vinyl. While the vinyl is an easy finish to apply, it does have a few major drawbacks. First, if your material is not perfectly smooth, you will see those imperfections through the vinyl. Second, you need to be careful with where you place the seams, because if your corners aren't perfectly sharp, the vinyl will want to lift a bit when you handle it. It went on fine, even though it has a few imperfections. I ordered a large sheet so I will have enough to do the fronts as well. There are small spots at the corners where the wood shows after trimming the vinyl flush. Those were all touched up with matching sharpie so they don't stand out.

Then I got to work reinstalling the drivers and electronics and dampening.

I installed rubber feet on both speakers so that they won't walk around on the hardwood or shelf.

From there, the center was ready to go.

Then we hooked it up to the system to enjoy it some more and test the center. I think I am going to swap the position of the receiver and the center so that the receiver sits on top. I think this will allow the receiver to vent better and also look more proportional.

The walnut overlays are still not installed, but are in progress. I laser cut the veneer and have started finishing both of them.

Here is the sub with the partially finished walnut just to see how it will look.

I still haven't spent enough time adjusting the levels, but the center channel sounds quite good. No intelligibility problems anywhere in the room. The biggest thing I notice now that the system is coming together is how bland so many shows and movies are with the audio. Movies like Guardians 2 make good use of the sub and have well mixed voices, but many others are boring to listen to. This difference wasn't very noticeable with the television speakers or even with just the Ion surrounds. I give the center channel a thumbs up so far, though I haven't finished with the levels or any measurements.

So far the project is going well. I have another week or so of finishing up the walnut and adhering it to the speakers, but then it will be time to start on the fronts. Due to some other pressing stuff in my life I won't be able to properly start on the fronts for about a month.

Leave a comment:

• ohaple
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    Thanks. This would be for my 2.1 PC sound. I have had 2.1 sound for a while, first the PE 2.1 plate amp, then a Nobsound 2.1 chip amp. All of these run the L/R full range. I kept looking for an amp that had a real crossover and actually divided the sound properly. I didn't realize this amp did that, still needing a 2 channel amp for the L/R.
    Yeah, for a desktop setup I think this would provide plenty of power to drive something like a voxel or other small-medium sub at reasonable office volumes. It does the crossover well, and is easy to adjust the crossover point.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Thanks. This would be for my 2.1 PC sound. I have had 2.1 sound for a while, first the PE 2.1 plate amp, then a Nobsound 2.1 chip amp. All of these run the L/R full range. I kept looking for an amp that had a real crossover and actually divided the sound properly. I didn't realize this amp did that, still needing a 2 channel amp for the L/R.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X