Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Tang Band W6 Subwoofer in Curly Maple and Wenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tang Band W6 Subwoofer in Curly Maple and Wenge

Good Afternoon!

I'm just wrapping up this project, so I thought I'd share some progress pictures.* It's a .5 cf cabinet with a 3/4" MDF inner and curly maple and wenge exterior.* It will be a down firing subwoofer for a small office powered externally by a Dayton SA230.*

It will be stained dark grey and finished in a matte soft touch finish.*

Cheers!

Joe

Joe,

It's beautiful. The black grooves are a nice touch too.* I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at, though. I see one big opening on the end, and two openings - one bigger than the other - on the long side. I was thinking driver and larger PR, but what's the other hole... Oh, terminal cup?*

Oh wait, . 5 cu. ft. is kind of small... That would be a driver opening on the end, and a vent and terminal cup on the long side, right?*

Allergies are holding my brain hostage I swear.
    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Tom:

You are spot on - driver hole on the end (bottom), the smaller whole closer to the driver is the terminal cup, and above that is the whole for the precision port. *

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Good Evening!

I just wanted to post a quick update photo on this project. *The finish is almost done, and then time for assembly.*

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

Beautiful! Is that a stain or dye? Either way, what brand?

Comment

Great work!
            -Kerry

Comment

Seriously? One tease picture from the back side? Looking forward to more!

Comment

Really nice...but, i too, would like more details and pics* ;-)
                I take it the outside is solid wood over the inner MDF box?
                How is the wenge done? Inlay or strips?
                How thick is the outer hardwood maple?

Did I mention how fantastic the figured maple looks dyed and finished like you have done?
                How was this accomplished?
                Andy.

Comment

Good Evening!*

Thanks for all the interest in this project.* Here are a few additional photos, and some additional detail on the build.*

First things first, this is a tall thin down firing subwoofer.* The bottom is the portion with the largest (driver) cutout, and the back is the side with the 2 wholes - one for the terminal cup and one for the port.* I know that this is not an ideal driver orientation, but the application called for it.*

- The Interior box is 3/4" MDF, and the exterior box is solid maple - 1" on the sides (were you see the round over), 1/2" on the top, and 3/8" on the front/back.*
                  - The wenge accents were done using a 1/8' sheet of wenge laminated to the top and bottom pieces of maple.* For the sides, I didn't want to use that big of pieces of wenge, so I*made a 1/8' deep by 3/4" wide rabbit on each side of the maple side panels and glued in the wenge strips of corresponding size, then just cleaned it up with a hand plane to get the two surfaces flush.*
                  - I applied the exterior panels to the MDF in stages.* Applying each panel slightly oversized, and then using a flush trim bit to trim it exactly to the size of the interior box.* First the front/back (with no wenge), then the sides, and then the top/bottom.* The flush trim bit did really well to get everything perfectly flush, but I would have loved to have access to a large jointer to run each side through as well.* That would have also taken care of some of the glue spots that I only discovered AFTER applying the dye, then had to go back and sand through.* I'd love to know how everyone avoids this issue in their builds.*
                  - The color is a Black Analine dye powder from J.E. Moser.* I diluted it in water, which raised the grain when applied.* It covered very well, and left an extremely transparent color - far better than any stains I've used.*
                  - The finish is tung oil, and most of the pictures show the box with about 4 coats.* I will likely apply 2-4 more before it's done.* This was the first project I've applied oil to, and I am very pleased with the result.*

My wife likes the look of the build so much that she has requested a new pair of speakers with similar construction and materials for our living room, so I'm going to chalk it up as a win HAHA!*

My apologies for the image orientations - I tried resaving it a few different ways, and the chat board always reverted the orientations back.*

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

The curly maple in grey is a very exotic look!

Comment

Comment

Simply Gorgeous!*

Comment

Working...
                        X