Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tang Band W6 Subwoofer in Curly Maple and Wenge

Good Afternoon!

I'm just wrapping up this project, so I thought I'd share some progress pictures.¬* It's a .5 cf cabinet with a 3/4" MDF inner and curly maple and wenge exterior.¬* It will be a down firing subwoofer for a small office powered externally by a Dayton SA230.¬*

It will be stained dark grey and finished in a matte soft touch finish.¬*

Cheers!

Joe

Joe,

It's beautiful. The black grooves are a nice touch too.¬* I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at, though. I see one big opening on the end, and two openings - one bigger than the other - on the long side. I was thinking driver and larger PR, but what's the other hole... Oh, terminal cup?¬*

Oh wait, . 5 cu. ft. is kind of small... That would be a driver opening on the end, and a vent and terminal cup on the long side, right?¬*

Allergies are holding my brain hostage I swear.
    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Tom:

You are spot on - driver hole on the end (bottom), the smaller whole closer to the driver is the terminal cup, and above that is the whole for the precision port. ¬*

Cheers!

Joe

¬*

Comment

Good Evening!

I just wanted to post a quick update photo on this project. ¬*The finish is almost done, and then time for assembly.¬*

Cheers!

Joe

¬*

Comment

Beautiful! Is that a stain or dye? Either way, what brand?
          Projects:

Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
          transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
          Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
          References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
          Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

Originally posted by jml View Post
            Good Evening! I just wanted to post a quick update photo on this project. *The finish is almost done, and then time for assembly.* Cheers! Joe *
            Great work!
            -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Seriously? One tease picture from the back side? Looking forward to more!

Comment

Really nice...but, i too, would like more details and pics¬* ;-)
                I take it the outside is solid wood over the inner MDF box?
                How is the wenge done? Inlay or strips?
                How thick is the outer hardwood maple?

Did I mention how fantastic the figured maple looks dyed and finished like you have done?
                How was this accomplished?
                Andy.

Comment

Good Evening!¬*

Thanks for all the interest in this project.¬* Here are a few additional photos, and some additional detail on the build.¬*

First things first, this is a tall thin down firing subwoofer.¬* The bottom is the portion with the largest (driver) cutout, and the back is the side with the 2 wholes - one for the terminal cup and one for the port.¬* I know that this is not an ideal driver orientation, but the application called for it.¬*

- The Interior box is 3/4" MDF, and the exterior box is solid maple - 1" on the sides (were you see the round over), 1/2" on the top, and 3/8" on the front/back.¬*
                  - The wenge accents were done using a 1/8' sheet of wenge laminated to the top and bottom pieces of maple.¬* For the sides, I didn't want to use that big of pieces of wenge, so I¬*made a 1/8' deep by 3/4" wide rabbit on each side of the maple side panels and glued in the wenge strips of corresponding size, then just cleaned it up with a hand plane to get the two surfaces flush.¬*
                  - I applied the exterior panels to the MDF in stages.¬* Applying each panel slightly oversized, and then using a flush trim bit to trim it exactly to the size of the interior box.¬* First the front/back (with no wenge), then the sides, and then the top/bottom.¬* The flush trim bit did really well to get everything perfectly flush, but I would have loved to have access to a large jointer to run each side through as well.¬* That would have also taken care of some of the glue spots that I only discovered AFTER applying the dye, then had to go back and sand through.¬* I'd love to know how everyone avoids this issue in their builds.¬*
                  - The color is a Black Analine dye powder from J.E. Moser.¬* I diluted it in water, which raised the grain when applied.¬* It covered very well, and left an extremely transparent color - far better than any stains I've used.¬*
                  - The finish is tung oil, and most of the pictures show the box with about 4 coats.¬* I will likely apply 2-4 more before it's done.¬* This was the first project I've applied oil to, and I am very pleased with the result.¬*

My wife likes the look of the build so much that she has requested a new pair of speakers with similar construction and materials for our living room, so I'm going to chalk it up as a win HAHA!¬*

My apologies for the image orientations - I tried resaving it a few different ways, and the chat board always reverted the orientations back.¬*

Cheers!

Joe

Comment

The curly maple in grey is a very exotic look!

Comment

Working...
                    X