Speake Design Opinions / Fact? Wide vs thin baffle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speake Design Opinions / Fact? Wide vs thin baffle

Do most of you made the front your second*widest diameter?* How does a wide vs thin front baffle affect the sound?* I know OB require very large front baffles, but what about the average speaker?* And is there are rule of thumb say the front baffle needs to be at least* 2x or 3x the size of the driver?
    Just another hobbyiest.

http://www.tolvan.com/index.php?page=/edge/edge.php
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Started to do some old tech talk forums, but was wondering if anything had changed as it sometimes does. P.S. I checked that link and my virus program came up and warned me against it being a possible malware site. Just an FYI.* *Not sure why?
      Just another hobbyiest.

Comment

I went there and downloaded it and did NOT get any warning it is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
          ... How does a wide vs thin front baffle affect the sound?...
          Related reading material:
          http://www.linkwitzlab.com/diffraction.htm
          http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=160
          https://www.trueaudio.com/st_diff1.htm
          Also covered in Loudspeaker Handbook (John Eargle).

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
          ... And is there are rule of thumb say the front baffle needs to be at least 2x or 3x the size of the driver?
          from page 114 of ElectroAcoustical Reference Data (John Eargle):
          "A transducer mounted in a baffle will radiate effectively into half-space (2π loading) at frequencies above which the baffle perimeter is equal to 2 or more wavelengths."

If the baffle is large enough, the source radiates into a 2π hemisphere ( a reason for in-wall mounting )
          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by sdep777 View Post
            I went there and downloaded it and did NOT get any warning it is just fine.
            Yeah, me too. It's a handy little program.
            Francis

Comment

So that huge 5 foot long Console stereo, sitting on the living room floor, had it right all along...!

Comment

The lower in frequency you go and the more the total integrated room response affects the perceived tonal balance of a speaker.

For the same on axis frequency response, different baffle widths can result in different tonal balances in room.* At higher frequencies, this effect weakens but the first reflection, if not too delayed in time (<~5-10ms) can also affect tonal balance at higher frequencies.* *Here's a study of these effects I did for the Grimm LS1.* *

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
                  So that huge 5 foot long Console stereo, sitting on the living room floor, had it right all along...!
                  haha
                  There were consoles, and then there were CONSOLES
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Some people prefer a narrow baffle and transition to 4pi space higher in the frequency range. This creates room interactions higher in the frequency range. Watch outs are that the baffle step moves to a more difficult to adjust mid-tweeter area.

Dipole large baffles are for low frequency support. The dipole null and loss of constant directivity also occur lower in frequency with the larger baffles.
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                    X