Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your experience with modifying raw loudspeaker drivers and the results.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your experience with modifying raw loudspeaker drivers and the results.

I would like to know what some people have done to improve a stock loudspeaker driver and if it was an improvement over stock units. This based on actual testing results of before and after and you actually hearing a difference. ?

Steve -

I canít remember who but somebody here played with cutting revelator-like slices in the cone of a cheap woofer and measured the results. Perhaps they will chime in.
    Projects:

Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
    transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
    Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
    References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
    Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

"Doped" paper cones and noted a drop in Fs (* measured )
      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

People would think I'm bonkers If they knew what I did to an expensve driver. Anyone Interested In my expensive mistake?

Comment

Did ya do a Sweeney Todd number on it?
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
            I canít remember who but somebody here played with cutting revelator-like slices in the cone of a cheap woofer and measured the results. Perhaps they will chime in.
            The "Scam Speak".

Many otherwise normal people put rope caulk or other damping material on stamped steel speaker baskets and are quite happy.

There's that "Enabl" thing, sticking little triangles on the cone, not sure if I spelled that right. That's mostly over at diyaudio, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              ...Many otherwise normal people put rope caulk or other damping material on stamped steel speaker baskets and are quite happy....
              Had a stamped steel framed speaker that pinged like a bell, did something 'bout it - made me happier.
              ( signed Not Normal )

Comment

This hobby is all about happiness. Normal is over rated. And I didn't say "dampening".

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  ...Normal is over rated....
                  To close to norm fer me.
                  'Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.' George Carlin

Comment

I have several pages at my site on working with raw drivers.

dlr
                    Last edited by dlr; 05-07-2018, 01:52 PM.
                    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                      Did ya do a Sweeney Todd number on it?
                      Umm, yes. Feel a bit stupid now...

Comment

I've done the slits to a dead paper driver just to see if I could. Turned out okay, but I was of course not able to listen to it. Josh Bruner's slit-PM180 sounded quite good.
                        I've had to reglue phase plugs into drivers, with no ill effects.
                        I've adhered thick and heavy sport flooring tile (ground up tires) to driver chambers externally to eliminate ringing. This was very favorable. Adding mass in this instance has always been a benefit so far.
                        I've reglued terminals to drivers that had them breakoff.
                        I've added felt peel and stick dots to drivers that needed them.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        Last edited by Wolf; 05-09-2018, 04:15 AM.
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I am trying to think of a mod that I have not done. Slit cones with slits glued with shoe goo glue. Cones stiffened with carbon fiber tow 1/4 inch pieces in epoxy, removing dust caps and gluing fiberglass cloth over vents in cone, Damping voice coil formers with PVA, damping cones and domes with PVA. Drilling holes in speaker basket (NOT STEEL ONES) to vent behind spider, stiffening old spiders with polyurethane, replacing spiders with new one of a different stiffness, cutting vents in raised spiders, changing surrounds to foam instead of rubber, and adding shorting rings inside voice coil gap and one piece, damping and stiffening speaker baskets, and reinforcing kapton formers with epoxy impregnated paper. Yes can ruin stuff but you sometimes make even expensive drivers better. I learned a lot off this stuff restoring vintage drivers but have modified SB Acoustics, Scanspeak, and even Dayton Audio Reference and an Esoteric woofer. I stiffened my first paper woofer with fiber glass resin in 1976. Of course it ruined the port tuning on dadís speakers and he was annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                            I have several pages at my site on working with raw drivers.

dlr
                            I have read them several times and they very interesting. I dome similar mods to tweeters with good results.

Comment

Working...
                            X