X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be curious as to impressions
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
      Be curious as to impressions
      just got done listening to it,* and i've never really known who this feller was until i just wiki'd him.....thats sum impressive resume!* i do have a couple of downloads by him....one from -ry cooder and corridos famosos 'vigilante man'* awesome track btw... and a few from -the ufo has landed anthology.* This album sounds like its quite religious.....wonder if getting closer to death has anything to do with it (maybe a little repentance from 'back in the day' ?)* *anyways its a good performance but a little too much religion for this sinner!

Comment

I think you'll find in examining his discography that he is a consummate musicologist, exploring all kinds of music include roots and folk music from the United States, and his collaborations with traditional musicians from many countries. He can appreciate the essence of music regardless of lyrical content.
        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I think you'll find in examining his discography that he is a consummate musicologist, exploring all kinds of music include roots and folk music from the United States, and his collaborations with traditional musicians from many countries. He can appreciate the essence of music regardless of lyrical content.
          *yes.....definately going to do some more digging around in his impressive repertoire, this album will certainly sell well in the bible belt...I did really enjoy his haunting version of 'nobody's fault but mine'

Comment

Cooder mentions Buddha - hopefully that doesn't perturb anyone
            I'm partial to covers of Blind Alfred Reed songs ( You Must Unload - 1927 ). In 2007, Blind Alfred Reed was inducted into the West Virginia Music Hall of Fame. Other favorites ( covered by Cooder ) include "Always Lift Him Up and Never Knock Him Down" "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live".

The Ry Cooder Anthology: The UFO Has Landed by Ry Cooder

Comment

Cooder mentions Buddha - hopefully that doesn't perturb anyone
              I'm partial to covers of Blind Alfred Reed songs ( You Must Unload - 1927 ). In 2007, Blind Alfred Reed was inducted into the West Virginia Music Hall of Fame. Other favorites ( covered by Cooder ) include "Always Lift Him Up and Never Knock Him Down" "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live".

The Ry Cooder Anthology: The UFO Has Landed by Ry Cooder
              I'll check out those you mentioned,i'm a big blues fan and also enjoy digging deeper.........Didn't catch the buddah reference,at least he's not bias!**

Comment

Big Blues fan myself ( from Piedmont blues to Delta and Back to Chicago ).
                If you are unfamiliar with Cooder perhaps his amigo David Lindley
                A bit here:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOEFNZJDXGM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGQIwxUgDvI

Comment

Big Blues fan myself ( from Piedmont blues to Delta and Back to Chicago ).
                  If you are unfamiliar with Cooder perhaps his amigo David Lindley
                  A bit here:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOEFNZJDXGM
                  Thanks Sydney, i'll put him on my list;i've been getting my moneys worth out of my new/ish Tidal (hi-fi) subscription Finding things on here thats blowing my mind on a regular basis....listening to '99 year blues' by Hot Tuna right now, never would have known......gotta love technology, its certainly a long way from hooking up the FM converter on my '70 Catalina!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post
                    ... Hot Tuna right now, ...
                    I live a couple of hours from Jorma's Ranch:
                    https://exchange.prx.org/series/3261...ur-peace-ranch
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XwEbR9kWa8
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Y4FIOubiM
                    A great place to see great talent - IF you can get a ticket

Comment

Buena Vista Social Club is a documentary well worth seeing. I think it's on Netflix now and then. Quite an interesting story, and a well done film. I'll be buying this new album. I really like it. Thanks, whoever posted the link.

There is no end of great music out there. The stuff you get from corporate FM stations is mostly too crappy for me to listen to, even without the idiotic commercials. Even satellite radio is too repetitive, and the channels too narrow in scope. You might hear someone like Ry Cooder on the blues channel now and then. You pretty much have to listen to one of about two country channels to hear Linda Ronstadt more than once in a blue moon, and that'll be some monster hit from the 70s. She has done some awesome stuff you never hear anywhere. Weird. *

Comment

Originally posted by Liberator of Magic Smoke View Post
                        Buena Vista Social Club
                        Saw it
                        The album: Buena Vista Social Club
                        Saw Ronstadt open for Neil Young ( one of the best female voices I ever heard )
                        imo More music then ever - just gotta be willing to look a little, beyond the schlock and pablum.

Comment

Really enjoying this latest CD. He's touring from June to October but not coming anywhere close to me. :(

Comment

Update: Just got the "The Prodigal Son" CD and the difference from the "net" version was apparent with the first few seconds. Overall more depth and detail, more bite on the vocals, better resolution of sibilance.
                            A new personal reference recording

Comment

Update: Just got the "The Prodigal Son" CD and the difference from the "net" version was apparent with the first few seconds. Overall more depth and detail, more bite on the vocals, better resolution of sibilance.
                              A new personal reference recording
                              How do you download/stream your music?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post
                                How do you download/stream your music?
                                I just got the CD delivered, prior to that I ripped from the sources on the net, like the initial NPR link, or Ry Cooder's playlist - updated yesterday:
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wu1_gt1kTsZwp4

Technically I use Adobe Audition; Audacity would work as well.
                                I don't use a stream service, instead playing Topic Channels etc
                                These lesser recordings tide me over until I get the CD version ( listen before buying so to speak ).
                                donradick said he will download an even higher definition version ( Intriguing )

Comment

Working...
                                X