X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donc
    started a topic fdieck "sounded like music not loudspeakers !"

fdieck "sounded like music not loudspeakers !"

fdieck said this about some speakers that were at LSAF in Dallas this past weekend .i dont remember ever hearing those words together before or maybe just not used that way . it got me to thinking if maybe sometimes in the design ,crossover,driver choice that we get away from making music and are just making speakers .im looking for a speaker to do this , im looking for a speaker that does that ,my graphs are to look like this or that ! maybe these are all one in the same . just a thought !?
    donc

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Just FYI, Holm Impulse is the measurement software I use and the -40dB line is the 1% line.* The distortion plot is not relative to the response plot.* So what you're seeing is distortion hovering around -55dB across most of the band.* Not sure what distortion levels the Behringer mic contributes, but it can't be too much at the 90dB levels I test at.

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Your distortion is probably lower than what you are getting with that mic.
    The dayton version has fairly high distortion.*

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    ecm8000

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    RS 28 W/ WG of course. What mic did you use to measure?*

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    NE225W-4 and RS28F

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Here's a set of plots that show the behavior of an 8" 2-way with a 8.5" diameter waveguide, 2" deep with a circular profile crossed at 1KHz.
    On axis first.
    The off axis response is exceedingly uniform, and the in-room sound was immersive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RS28F version on axis.gif
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1375245

Name:	rs28f version off axis.gif
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1375246
    The directivity of the 2 drivers are probably similar too for great power response!**

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Here's a set of plots that show the behavior of an 8" 2-way with a 8.5" diameter waveguide, 2" deep with a circular profile crossed at 1KHz.
    On axis first.
    The off axis response is exceedingly uniform, and the in-room sound was immersive.

Name:	RS28F version on axis.gif
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1375245

Name:	rs28f version off axis.gif
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1375246

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    replied
    Originally posted by skatz View Post

So, which ones are those?
    For me, usually a paper coned mid bass driver with tight bass, a minimal breakup peak, and good extension into the midrange. They cover a significant percentage of music all by themselves. Once I find that, the rest is much easier.

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Yeah, I damped mine too; cut the vanes and put a bead of 3M 5200 between them, filled the bells with polyurethane, and coated the outside with polyurethane. I have TAD TD-2002s on mine. The imaging and realism are pretty darn good for a horn from 1953...
    I bet they sound fantastic! I'm working with some TAD 2002 currently.*

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Yeah, I damped mine too; cut the vanes and put a bead of 3M 5200 between them, filled the bells with polyurethane, and coated the outside with polyurethane. I have TAD TD-2002s on mine. The imaging and realism are pretty darn good for a horn from 1953...

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied

Lucky for me, Smith, Keele and Eargle from JBL measured the Altec 511 and plotted extensive data in their paper, "Improvements In Monitor Loudspeaker Systems".

Click image for larger version  Name:	Altec 511B Polar.png Views:	1 Size:	485.5 KB ID:	1375164

Leave a comment:

• dcibel
    replied
    Originally posted by skatz View Post

Help me understand this. The 2-4 Khz seems to overlap exactly, so why do you say this is a region of excessive energy?
    The black trace is the on-axis response, and the red trace is a weighted average of the on and off-axis response. If the speaker had a constant directivity, you would see a constant slope of the red trace, but we do not, the red trace clearly has a lump around 2-4kHz. A constant slope would indicate a consistent attenuation of all frequencies as you move off-axis. Since the red trace actually overlaps the black, it can be assumed that the amplitude in this frequency rance does not decrease at all off-axis, it is a "wide dispersion" range, hence the excess energy.

If we look closer at a directivity plot, in fact the speaker does attenuate at the extreme axis, but at the 15-30 degree range it actually increases in output a bit over the on-axis response.

Name:	3sowsgaze13t.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1375171

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    On the subject of "sounding like music, not a loudspeaker", I find a slight roll of frequency response appeals to my sense of realism; about 1/2 dB/octave from 200Hz to 10kHz.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    ...Lucky for me,...
    More like attention to detail.
    Anecdotally - the difference between the cheapest horns and the better ( albeit more expensive ) horns is huge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X