Need wiring diagram to wire five 8ohm speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need wiring diagram to wire five 8ohm speakers

Need wiring diagram to wire five 8ohm speakers prefer I end up with 4ohm or 8ohm, I already know if I were wiring 6 drivers I could end up at 5.3 ohm , but bassbox is no help trying to figure out wiring 5 drivers , hope this is possible to do. ?

With 5 drivers you will either end up with a 1.6 Ohm load when wired in Parallel, or a 40 Ohm load when wired in series.

Parallel is basically just tying all the negative speaker terminals together and connecting to the amp (-), and all the positive speaker terminals to the amp (+). It's likely too low of a load for almost any amp... and 1.6 Ohms isn't really a true figure, it will likely be lower than that in reality -- probably closer to 1.2-1.3 Ohms as a rough guess.

Series will have too much resistance, that won't work at all, you won't hear the music much over a whisper....

Odd numbers of drivers are a problem unless they are manufactured on purpose to be used in odd multiples with appropriate voice coil ohm figures.

TomZ
    Last edited by tomzarbo; 05-12-2018, 06:07 AM. Reason: Mixed up my terms... Doh!
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

By the way, if you have Bass Box Pro, you can see a wiring diagram for 5 drivers or any amount really... go to "Driver" tab, then go to "Configuration" and type in the number of drivers you want, and it will show you the wiring config below.

If you then go and plot the graph for 'Impedance' and go to the "Parameters" tab right next to it, it shows the results of your chosen wiring configuration in the "Net" column to the right. I did this by only adding the driver Ohm figure as 8 Ohms for Z and 6 ohms for Re, a guess, but probably close enough to show the expected results.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by sdep777 View Post
        this is possible to do ?
        It is not. That's why you don't see an odd number of drivers being used, other than nine drivers, which can be wired to end up with the same impedance as one.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Comment

"It is not. That's why you don't see an odd number of drivers being used, other than nine drivers, which can be wired to end up with the same impedance as one."

how is that done, need diagram

Comment

...how is that done, need diagram
              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
              “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Thank You , wish I could do that with 5 drivers !

Comment

If ONLY they were 32 ohm drivers ( or at least 20 ohms )
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I would like to see the same type diagram for 4 drivers 6 drivers 8 drivers etc etc , will look around for some. Thanks again that was a big help

Comment

It might be faster to learn Ohms Law
                      https://cie-wc.edu/Series_Parallel_9_14.pdf
                      https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...nection-basics
                      What the 9 speaker scheme shows is an example of a N x N Matrix, that maintained the same resistive/impedance value as an individual element ( where N = 3. A 2 x 2 matrix for 4 speakers, a 1 x 1 for 2 speakers. ) Carry that out to N = 4 for 16 speakers, N = 5 for 25...
                      This is of course just one example of a Matrix series, that can all be simplified with Ohms Law on Resistance.

Comment

I would like to see the same type diagram for 4 drivers 6 drivers 8 drivers etc etc
                        http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/spkr_wiring.html
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Seems like you* could wire 4 in series parallel, that being 8 ohms than parallel the 5th driver to it for 4 ohm total?*
                          The group being 8 ohms and the single driver being 8 ohm it seems like everybody would get the same*
                          power.
                          Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

The group of four would get half the power, as would the 5th, but only until the 5th was blown.
                            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

you cd do an isobaric with 10.. bit expensive tho. Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X