Small high end-ish monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small high end-ish monitor

Iím kind of itching to build another pair of speakers. Those that know me know that I donít design crossovers, I rely on the vast knowledge of others for that. Iíd like to build a pair of quite small monitors for my new desk at work. I donít have a size in mind yet, but Iím thinking of something with a 4.5 to 5.5 inch woofer. I donít mind spending some money on decent drivers, but I donít see this build being all accuton either. (Iíve looked atPaul Cís Carrera, but Iíd like to be smaller than that) If you were in my position, what would you build? Amplifier and front end is yet to come, so itís safe to assume whatever I tackle will have enough power. They may or may not stay at my desk at work, the other location would be on loan to one of my children. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I understand the 5.5Ē revelator to have very nice bass for its size in addition to its good midrange properties. How about this and the smaller face neo scan ring radiator?
    Last edited by dynamo; 05-12-2018, 09:26 AM. Reason: removed weird characters put there by the softwares
    Projects:

Breezy Monitors: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors
    transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
    Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
    References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
    Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

The Rev works great in a box as small 10 L. You could try the new SB ceramic. Very impressive driver for the money.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Jeff Bagby has three sizes of SB Acoustic 2 ways, and the Viva Voce, using the same cab as the Continuum with Eclipse woofer and Morel tweeter, all over at Meniscus. 3-400 ballpark, with upgrades available. Not too dear to loan out. Mr Bagby wrote good things about these designs.

I just made the S2000s by Paul Carmody, nice little carbon fiber woofer, probably not high end enough. Same size as Overnight Sensations.

I always throw these in when someone wants a desktop monitor.

Tasha - near field monitor - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Comment

You canít go wrong w any of Jeff Bagbyís designs, and heís got a new one with SB ceramic drivers - a smallish 5 inch IIRC

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Jeff B:¬* Will your SB ceramic design be posted or for sale?¬* Maybe at another site?

Comment

What is your price range?

Comment

Originally posted by dst View Post
                Jeff B:¬* Will your SB ceramic design be posted or for sale?¬* Maybe at another site?
                As far as I know, the design will be available as a kit from M e n i s c u s A u d i o¬*
                It has not been posted yet.¬*

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                  What is your price range?
                  Maybe $500-$700? Itís not hard and fast.

Comment

The P215s come in under that mark and work well on a desktop.¬* The baffle is only 6.5"W x 12"H.¬* A single series resistor on the tweeter high pass makes it easy to modify for desktop use vs stand use.

Dan
                    The Hurricanes
                    The Baronettes
                    Conneccentric
                    UX3

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                      The Rev works great in a box as small 10 L. You could try the new SB ceramic. Very impressive driver for the money.
                      Iíve used the revelator previously. Itís very nice. Iím not opposed to it again, but always felt like it wanted a large cabinet. Iím intrigued by the SB ceramic based on some of the responses. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post
                        The P215s come in under that mark and work well on a desktop.* The baffle is only 6.5"W x 12"H.* A single series resistor on the tweeter high pass makes it easy to modify for desktop use vs stand use. Dan
                        That may be a very nice solution as well. The price seems very tempting...

Comment

Seth, the P215 are just great! You won't be disappointed.¬*
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

What do you gents think of the bass out of the 5-inch Satori?¬* Any oomph there, or should one, if possible, opt for the 6 inch?

Comment

Originally posted by dst View Post
                              What do you gents think of the bass out of the 5-inch Satori?¬* Any oomph there, or should one, if possible, opt for the 6 inch?
                              I am blown away by the clarity and power of the bass from the MW13, which is a true 5.25" driver.¬* The MW16 would be more of the same, but I am very content listening to my music collection though the P215s.

Dan
                              ¬*
                              The Hurricanes
                              The Baronettes
                              Conneccentric
                              UX3

Comment

Working...
                              X