Small high end-ish monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s7horton View Post
    Iím kind of itching to build another pair of speakers. Those that know me know that I donít design crossovers, I rely on the vast knowledge of others for that. Iíd like to build a pair of quite small monitors for my new desk at work. I donít have a size in mind yet, but Iím thinking of something with a 4.5 to 5.5 inch woofer. I donít mind spending some money on decent drivers, but I donít see this build being all accuton either. (Iíve looked atPaul Cís Carrera, but Iíd like to be smaller than that) If you were in my position, what would you build? Amplifier and front end is yet to come, so itís safe to assume whatever I tackle will have enough power. They may or may not stay at my desk at work, the other location would be on loan to one of my children. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Neutrinos . . . amazing little monitors.

Every bit "high end" sounding.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Of course, these are great as well. I would also recommend Scott Sehlin's 'Rhodiums'.
      So many choices,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Seth didn't you do a small 2-way with a Eton 4-inch several years ago?
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

No- The Eton/DXT design?¬*...that was done by Todd England, and shipped in from Idaho. Very good design too!

Later,
          Wolf
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Thanks, yes I liked that little Eton project.
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Ben, what was the little SB bright yellow kit at Indiyana?? I was astounded by how big it sounded. Did Jeff design that one?

Comment

Look at some of the various renditions of the HATT mini-monitor at Humble Homemade Hifi (look in archives for previous versions) and there are some excellent projects on Audio Excite web page with 5 inch monitors.¬* So many choices.¬* Seas Excel and Scan 15W kick some ***.

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                  Ben, what was the little SB bright yellow kit at Indiyana?? I was astounded by how big it sounded. Did Jeff design that one?
                  The small orange one was designed by SB Acoustics. They did their own crossover for it.
                  -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

This one?

SB Acoustics :: Micro Kit

$420 /pr at a well known Madison, WI based speaker source. Finished cabs, plug and play.

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post

I am blown away by the clarity and power of the bass from the MW13, which is a true 5.25" driver.¬* The MW16 would be more of the same, but I am very content listening to my music collection though the P215s.

Dan
                      ¬*
                      Do you have a like to the P215s so I can see what they are?

Thanks

Comment

Can't link to an outside retailer here at PETT. It is against the terms of use.
                        Lookup Stereophile and the recent AXPONA 2018 under $20,000 mentions.

Steve- yes, those Micro SB were just astounding at how well they handled the output in that room. I was surprised as well.

Later,
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! So many interesting options. Iíve looked at the HATT many different times. Iím considering trying the P215 design. Iíve yet to try a satori woofer, but Iíve read many good things.

Comment

Originally posted by Thezeek View Post

Do you have a like to the P215s so I can see what they are?

Thanks
                            As Wolf said, no links, but you can Google CSS P215 and it should pop up for you.¬* Sold finished or in kit form.¬* A quick correction to Wolf's comment - it was The Absolute Sound (not Stereophile) that put the P215 in the top 5 speakers under $20k at AXPONA this year.

Dan
                            The Hurricanes
                            The Baronettes
                            Conneccentric
                            UX3

Comment

Still good praise, no less...
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Here's a design I did previous to the one that Jeff Bagby did using the same woofer but with a different tweeter.

Comment

Working...
                                X