No announcement yet.

Speaker break in - is it real?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The low end does sound better now, this is after 4 days of substantial listening.*
    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I have read a lot of reviews where the reviewer states that the speakers sounded awful right out of the box and needs time to break in....Some of them even say cold temps can affect it.

Comment

Yes of course they "break in" some, but there is no easy way to measure how much the effect of accumulated listener familiarity with a new sound alters one's listening view.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
          I have read a lot of reviews where the reviewer states that the speakers sounded awful right out of the box and needs time to break in....
          I've never seen one of those reviewers post before and after measurements to back up that conclusion. Not that break in doesn't occur, but IMO subjective comments not backed up by objective data aren't worth reading. Neither are claims of being able to hear less than a 2dB difference in response, hearing more than 1/6 octave resolution, or having an auditory memory window of more than an hour or so duration.
          Some of them even say cold temps can affect it.
          Of course it does. Speakers are mechanical devices. Like most mechanical devices they stiffen when cold. My workshop is unheated. I learned early on not to bother measuring anything that had sat out in it overnight in the early morning when still cold, as the result would be totally different by mid day after warming up. If there was a driver or speaker that I needed to measure in the morning I kept it in the house overnight.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
            I've never seen one of those reviewers post before and after measurements to back up that conclusion. Not that break in doesn't occur, but IMO subjective comments not backed up by objective data aren't worth reading. Neither are claims of being able to hear less than a 2dB difference in response, hearing more than 1/6 octave resolution, or having an auditory memory window of more than an hour or so duration.
            Of course it does. Speakers are mechanical devices. Like most mechanical devices they stiffen when cold. My workshop is unheated. I learned early on not to bother measuring anything that had sat out in it overnight in the early morning when still cold, as the result would be totally different by mid day after warming up. If there was a driver or speaker that I needed to measure in the morning I kept it in the house overnight.

The fact that break in does occur proves that the speakers will sound different when not broken in.... It has been proven that many people can hear the difference of a speaker after its been broken in with or without the any objective data to back up there claims.... not everyone hears the same and not everyones auditory memory window are the same but one can hear the difference in sound.......it seems you are underestimating people and putting all your faith/claims in the data.

I agree about temps effecting the drivers mechanics.

So many speaker cables claiming it will make your speakers sound better....Can one hear the difference? Sure but sounding better is subjective.

Comment

Related From
              https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kli...asurements.pdf
              "This measurement can also be performed as an accelerated life test for separating fatigue from break‐in and assessing the long term stability of the suspension. "

https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kli...on_Klippel.pdf
              "The time varying properties of the suspension are caused by reversible processes such as the viscoelastic behavior of the suspension. The temporary decrease of the stiffness after large peak displacement recovers slowly after removing the stimulus. The stiffness also varies with the ambient temperature, humidity of the air and the absorbed moisture in the suspension material." ( emp. mine ).
              "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
              “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
              "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
                The fact that break in does occur proves that the speakers will sound different when not broken in.... It has been proven that many people can hear the difference of a speaker after its been broken in with or without the any objective data to back up there claims....So many speaker cables claiming it will make your speakers sound better....Can one hear the difference? Sure but sounding better is subjective.
                IMO if you really believe that you're in the wrong forum. Tech stands for technology, not pixie dust.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

I always break in drivers before testing them in a prototype cab. Using accelerated break in it only takes overnight, and for the most part it just gets the driver to their published specs.
                  What is accelerated break in?

Comment

I run a lower than Fs sine wave at a high enough level to just approach xmax. Some use pink noise, but the point is to loosen the suspension and spider. A sine wave lower than Fs does that more effectively than pink noise with minimal power, and with the driver not mounted does so almost silently.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

IMO if you really believe that you're in the wrong forum. Tech stands for technology, not pixie dust.

You mean like Gurus judging the sound of a speaker based solely on there data using high tech pixie dust? LMAO

Comment

Oh boy, bracing for another bunch of "LMAO" posts...
                        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                          Oh boy, bracing for another bunch of "LMAO" posts...
                          Just wait until he graduates high school. Then he'll not just know everything, he'll have a diploma to prove it.
                          www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

There is no doubt that the parameters of drivers change over time, but can a person actually hear any differences caused by minor changes? A person could take two identical drivers that have very similar measurements and thoroughly break only one of them in as described by Bill. Then do an A-B listening comparison including measurement, preferably with a few listeners, and with only a second or two between listenings. As previously stated humans have no memory for exact audio comparisons, or even other sensory comparisons like smell, taste, feel, and sight / color..

Comment

What measurements do not tell is the very sound of the speaker unless displaying serious linear distortion. The level of transparency, the ability to resolve micro-details, the "speed" of the bass, etc., cannot be derived from these data. Distortion measurements rarely tell much unless seriously bad, and most modern drivers display low distortion within their specified operating range.* Many people put way too much into these graphs and my comments here are only meant as warning against over-interpretation. There are more to good sound than what can be extracted from a few graphs. Every graph needs interpretation in terms of what it means sonically and how it impacts our choice of mating drivers, cabinet and crossover design. What measurements certainly do not tell is the sonic signature of the drivers, because cones made from polyprop, alu, kevlar, paper, glass fiber, carbon fiber, magnesium, ceramics or even diamonds all have their way of colouring the sound.- Troels Gravesen

Comment

The data backs up the break in period for the driver at first but after that, I think it is just the person getting use to the sound of the speaker.* When I have demo speakers before, it takes a couple hours or coming back a day later to allow my ears to adjust before I can give an honest opinion about a speaker.* Again after mechanical break in and motor warming up, I think it is all in your head.**
                                If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
                                What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
                                It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Working...
                                X