Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    Very pathetic how PE moderators pick and choose who's posts to delete and other's not.
    That would be whose. Who's is a contraction for who is.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    Very pathetic how PE moderators pick and choose who's posts to delete and other's not.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post

So you take the time to "Loosen the suspension and spider" before measuring yet claim speakers DON'T break in?

The nice thing about this hobby is you get to hear what you hear and I get to hear what I hear. I believe I've heard woofers sound better after playing them for quite some time.

YMMV, Mark
    You have to remember that Mr. Bill is the expert on all things loudspeaker related.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sydney View Post
    Related From
    https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kli...asurements.pdf
    "This measurement can also be performed as an accelerated life test for separating fatigue from break‐in and assessing the long term stability of the suspension. "

https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kli...on_Klippel.pdf
    "The time varying properties of the suspension are caused by reversible processes such as the viscoelastic behavior of the suspension. The temporary decrease of the stiffness after large peak displacement recovers slowly after removing the stimulus. The stiffness also varies with the ambient temperature, humidity of the air and the absorbed moisture in the suspension material." ( emp. mine ).
    Yes, break in occurs as the suspension and spider warm up and get softer, the driver's Fs drops a few Hertz. Mr. Bill notwithstanding.

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied
    So what are you saying in post # 24 ?

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
    So you take the time to "Loosen the suspension and spider" before measuring yet claim speakers DON'T break in?
    I never said that.

Leave a comment:

• Psycoacoustics
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
    I run a lower than Fs sine wave at a high enough level to just approach xmax. Some use pink noise, but the point is to loosen the suspension and spider. A sine wave lower than Fs does that more effectively than pink noise with minimal power, and with the driver not mounted does so almost silently.

The nice thing about this hobby is you get to hear what you hear and I get to hear what I hear. I believe I've heard woofers sound better after playing them for quite some time.

YMMV, Mark

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    Easy - It was a joke ( sorta like nine out of ten British housewives can't tell the difference, yada, yada etc )

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Originally posted by Sydney View Post
    It has been claimed that 90% can't discern difference beyond mp3. Perhaps the remaining minority are the ones asked for opinion on Audio matters - including how something sounds to them.
    Claimed by who and how accurate is that study?.....If that is accurate then it just proves that some people can discern the difference which means its totally possible and they are the ones that should be hired for there opinions on audio matter but even at that it would still be there OPINION SMDH.....Of course I doubt that 90% number unless it was done on 8 billion people world wide.

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    No way, ACCORDING to GURUS they know everything without even hearing said gear first hand as its all about the Data. LMAO

Good post by the way.

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post

Just wait until he graduates high school. Then he'll not just know everything, he'll have a diploma to prove it.
    I lost my diploma, so I never graduated from high school which means I do not know everything.....On the other hand Gurus know everything without ever experience it first hand because there magical diplomas convinces themselves that they are demi-god like. LMAO

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied
    The first intelligent post in this thread. 

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    Oh boy, bracing for another bunch of "LMAO" posts...
    Damn I didn't realize my LMAO effects certain people so much. rolls eyes. LMAO

Maybe I should warn people fist before I post so they can brace themselves for the impact. LMAO

Now if it offends you that much let me know because IDGAF. LMAO

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    It has been claimed that 90% can't discern difference beyond mp3. Perhaps the remaining minority are the ones asked for opinion on Audio matters - including how something sounds to them.
    Last edited by Sydney; 05-16-2018, 05:53 PM. Reason: ( * a Joking observation about statistics and perception )

Leave a comment:

• Thumper Tom
    replied
    The data backs up the break in period for the driver at first but after that, I think it is just the person getting use to the sound of the speaker.  When I have demo speakers before, it takes a couple hours or coming back a day later to allow my ears to adjust before I can give an honest opinion about a speaker.  Again after mechanical break in and motor warming up, I think it is all in your head.  

Leave a comment:

Working...
X