No announcement yet.

Speaker break in - is it real?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been claimed that 90% can't discern difference beyond mp3. Perhaps the remaining minority are the ones asked for opinion on Audio matters - including how something sounds to them.
    Last edited by Sydney; 05-16-2018, 03:53 PM. Reason: ( * a Joking observation about statistics and perception )
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
      Oh boy, bracing for another bunch of "LMAO" posts...
      Damn I didn't realize my LMAO effects certain people so much. rolls eyes. LMAO

Maybe I should warn people fist before I post so they can brace themselves for the impact. LMAO

Now if it offends you that much let me know because IDGAF. LMAO

Comment

The first intelligent post in this thread.*
        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post

Just wait until he graduates high school. Then he'll not just know everything, he'll have a diploma to prove it.
          I lost my diploma, so I never graduated from high school which means I do not know everything.....On the other hand Gurus know everything without ever experience it first hand because there magical diplomas convinces themselves that they are demi-god like. LMAO

Comment

No way, ACCORDING to GURUS they know everything without even hearing said gear first hand as its all about the Data. LMAO

Good post by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
              It has been claimed that 90% can't discern difference beyond mp3. Perhaps the remaining minority are the ones asked for opinion on Audio matters - including how something sounds to them.
              Claimed by who and how accurate is that study?.....If that is accurate then it just proves that some people can discern the difference which means its totally possible and they are the ones that should be hired for there opinions on audio matter but even at that it would still be there OPINION SMDH.....Of course I doubt that 90% number unless it was done on 8 billion people world wide.

Comment

Easy - It was a joke ( sorta like nine out of ten British housewives can't tell the difference, yada, yada etc )
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                  I run a lower than Fs sine wave at a high enough level to just approach xmax. Some use pink noise, but the point is to loosen the suspension and spider. A sine wave lower than Fs does that more effectively than pink noise with minimal power, and with the driver not mounted does so almost silently.
                  So you take the time to "Loosen the suspension and spider" before measuring yet claim speakers DON'T break in?

The nice thing about this hobby is you get to hear what you hear and I get to hear what I hear. I believe I've heard woofers sound better after playing them for quite some time.

YMMV, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
                    So you take the time to "Loosen the suspension and spider" before measuring yet claim speakers DON'T break in?
                    I never said that.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

So what are you saying in post # 24 ?
                      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                        Related From
                        https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kli...asurements.pdf
                        "This measurement can also be performed as an accelerated life test for separating fatigue from break‐in and assessing the long term stability of the suspension. "

https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kli...on_Klippel.pdf
                        "The time varying properties of the suspension are caused by reversible processes such as the viscoelastic behavior of the suspension. The temporary decrease of the stiffness after large peak displacement recovers slowly after removing the stimulus. The stiffness also varies with the ambient temperature, humidity of the air and the absorbed moisture in the suspension material." ( emp. mine ).
                        Yes, break in occurs as the suspension and spider warm up and get softer, the driver's Fs drops a few Hertz. Mr. Bill notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post

The nice thing about this hobby is you get to hear what you hear and I get to hear what I hear. I believe I've heard woofers sound better after playing them for quite some time.

YMMV, Mark
                          You have to remember that Mr. Bill is the expert on all things loudspeaker related.

Comment

Very pathetic how PE moderators pick and choose who's posts to delete and other's not.
                            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                              Very pathetic how PE moderators pick and choose who's posts to delete and other's not.
                              That would be whose. Who's is a contraction for who is.

Comment

Yes, break in occurs as the suspension and spider warm up and get softer, the driver's Fs drops a few Hertz. Mr. Bill notwithstanding.
                                Figured it meant more coming from Klippel, rather than a non-guru such as myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X