Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AudioEngine suggested crossover frequency on an older A5 (original)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AudioEngine suggested crossover frequency on an older A5 (original)

Hello,
    Does anyone know what the suggested crossover frequency I should use to rebuild an older AudioEngine A5? It suffered the well documented*heat death recently and I am trying to save this pair and use them as a passive set of speakers. I am in the process of removing and reconnecting the powered speaker and I think I have messed up on the original board's soldered connections. Repeated attempts have left the crossover output silent. I can bypass this and can get the woofer and tweeter to work when wired directly but I would like the same crossover frequency as the original passive speaker it was paired to. I would hate to toss these. Does anyone know which Dayton replacement crossover I should purchase?

Even a link (to the dead speaker) MIGHT get you some kind of answer. How much research do you want someone to do for you? Help us help you.

Comment

My 2 minutes of intense research says it's a very popular powered speaker that overheats and blows up. A lot.

Comment

Pics of the active and passive insides may help

Comment

yeah, rip the guts out and post up some pics. What goes bad, the amp, xover or the whole lump?

Comment

The website is https://audioengineusa.com/shop/powe...ered-speakers/

Comment

Well, they are audiophile quality and painstakingly tuned, too bad they blow up.

Wait, there's a little dialogue box, "Do you have a product question?". Why don't you ask them what the xover freq is?

Comment

Do you have a pair of these? If you do you should be able to use the working example to make sure the XO on the non-working example is correct. Its not clear in what way you have "messed up" the dead XO. You should also try to test the components of the nonworking XO to make sure there is continuity through each one. If something overheated and burned out, it won't have continuity. There could be more than one component that burned out also. Since you say the burn out is well documented, what is happening that makes them burn out?*

Comment

There seems to be several versions of the XO.* A detailed pic of the XO in the powered unit will help.* And any numbers on the caps would help as well ....

Comment

I don't have any pics to post. All I*am asking is does anyone have any experience with these speakers (AudioEngine A5 1st gen) and what would the recommended crossover be that this vendor, parts-express, *currently sells. No sarcasm please. Just looking for any suggestions. Thanks in advance.*

Comment

Sarcasm aside, a premade generic crossover generally gives you less than optimal sound. This forum is for mostly DIY speakers, although some members do follow commercial speakers. My suggestion to contact the makers was not sarcastic.

My suggestion to open up the speaker and show what's inside was sincere also.

Comment

You won't get much enthusiasm for generic crossovers here, for the reason that djg gave. I haven't seen much sarcasm here either, just realism.
                        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                          Sarcasm aside, a premade generic crossover generally gives you less than optimal sound. This forum is for mostly DIY speakers, although some members do follow commercial speakers. My suggestion to contact the makers was not sarcastic.

My suggestion to open up the speaker and show what's inside was sincere also.
                          And the XO's PE sells are 2nd order.* Some pics on the Web of the Audioengine XO has a 3rd order component.

Comment

Working...
                          X