Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A video using garbanzo beans to tune your port or passive radiator.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A video using garbanzo beans to tune your port or passive radiator.

As the title says... take a look if you are interested. It is short and interesting.

Are those the Peerless NE series drivers?

Comment

Why yes they are.....

Comment

It's a neat trick but not a new one. I bet it's been 40 years since I first saw it described.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

who's design is that¬* speaker? What mid and tweeter ?¬* I love the look ! twin 8 3 way !

Comment

I designed it based on an Avalon Speaker. I put my own dimensions and spin on it. Thanks for the positive response. Those are dual 10's, not 8's. The Vifa NE265W-08, Scan 18S8531G00 and Seas T29CF001illuminator.
            Attached Files

Comment

So beans really are the musical fruit!
              Francis

Comment

What!!!! No center channel speaker while watching a movie is breaking the cardinal rule. LMAO

Comment

No center channel is a viable option when for whatever reason the L/R must be placed close to the screen, as in the picture. Having a center is better, as is wider separation of the L/R, but not every room allows for that.

¬*
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                    No center channel is a viable option when for whatever reason the L/R must be placed close to the screen, as in the picture. Having a center is better, as is wider separation of the L/R, but not every room allows for that.

¬*
                    Where is the data on that or is it just subjective? LMAO

Comment

Are there side firing dual 12" radiators?

Comment

Yes... those are dual 12" PR's. I have since tuned them lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post

Where is the data on that or is it just subjective? LMAO
                          Years of research by THX.

By having a center channel, on-screen sound elements are forcibly locked into place. If you have no center channel, the center image will drift from side to side depending upon where you're sitting on the sofa. If you only watch movies alone, it's not a big deal, I guess, because you can plunk your rear end down into that extremely well broken-in center cushion. But if you're trying to make "every seat a good seat", then a center channel is pretty much a requirement.

This is also in line with Bill's comments. The closer the L&R are situated, the smaller the difference in SPL at the listening position, and the less the image drifts.
                          nothing can stop me now

Comment

+1. If you want to hear what the engineers did when they mixed the tracks you need a center, and you need the L/R spread far enough apart so that they're heard as L/R, not as a bit right of center and a bit left of center. When the L/R are closer together the difference between what you'll hear with a faux center as opposed to a real center isn't nearly as pronounced.

¬*
                            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

I usually tune my personal port with Pinto Beans!

Comment

Working...
                              X